SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-UAA Series

jk

There are several stories at the Anchorage (don't spell that wrong) Daily News, but this one from last Sunday tells a lot about the state of the Seawolves. On the positive side for the Wolves, their attitude seems to be good; with the announcement and commencement of the suspensions, and the dismissal of Chytka, I think the program has seem the bottom. It will all be better from here, although the losses may continue to mount.

On the negative side for the Wolves, and positive for the Sioux, UAA is down to four (4!) defensemen for the series, including one sophomore and three freshmen. Not that the Sioux shouldn't take care of business anyway, but given the state of UAA's defense, UND needs to take advantage of this opportunity to add four points in the standings. You can bet all the other contenders will.

UND needs to play that high energy attacking game, rolling four lines and three defensive pairs, and absolutely wear them out. No matter that UND is on the road, or UAA may get great goaltending, or UND may get questionable goaltending, the Sioux should win, and not by just a little. I have been worried about a letdown, with this series between the MN and CC series, but hopefully the team will show up and take care of business.

http://www.adn.com/sports/story/2451724p-2499242c.html

According to the Virg Foss story in today's Herald, the line combinations for Friday night's game with UAA will be:

Fylling-Parise-Bochenski

Noterman-Lundbohm-Massen

Spiewak-McMahon-Prpich

I'm guessing the fourth line might be Connelly, Genoway and R. Hale.

Brandt and Ranfranz are the only two goalies on the trip. Canady is out for at least 3-4 weeks and possibly the season.

In Virg's column today, he also has some interesting comments about the Schultz-Blais situation and Gopher fans booing native son Zach Parise.

Glad to hear Q is back in the Zach Attack. I thought the three of them had great chemistry very early in the season but then Blais pulled Fylling off that line. What do you think-- Brandt plays tonight and, if we win and UAA doesn't look all that strong, Ranny gets the start tomorrow?

Given AA's depleted defense, Fylling has a great chance to make an impact on Blais. Not that Blais was wrong to do it, but I thought he dropped Fylling to 'lesser' lines too quickly this season and am glad to see him back. Spiewak with Prpich/McMahon should be interesting too.

Re USCHO 'scoring updates' tonight: I can't listen online until end of 2nd/beginning of 3rd period at the earliest, and may even miss the whole broadcast. So if anyone here is able to post on that subject/game and considers stopping b/c no one seems to be relying on your posts....I WILL BE!...I just won't be able to let you know. Thanks in advance!

Anchorage plays on Olympic-sized ice (like Mariucci).

Half of their conference offensive production has come on the powerplay (13 of 26 goals). Stay out of the box, play them five-on-five, and wear out (by speed and forecheck) their undermanned defense (no Shasby, no Gilchrist, no Siuhkonen) on that glacier of a rink.

shootdog: Aren't you in radio range?

shootdog: Aren't you in radio range?

I'm in St.Paul...but won't be near a radio even if I could get a signal down here. Had to compromise with the girl on a January Friday night out...figured it was better to miss UAA, than CC or the goofs.

It'll be nice to get that big-ice series before heading down to CSprings.

As for goalies, it seems like Brandt is now the 'starting' goalie. I think Blais needs to stick with him both games unless he stinks it up Friday night. Number 1 goalies need to know they're the man and rest only occassionally---we need him absolutely rolling come March/April if he is indeed going to be the man.

Had to compromise with the girl on a January Friday night out...figured it was better to miss UAA, than CC or the goofs.

Uh, Friday, January 24 is a off date for the Sioux. Did you make a scheduling boo-boo? ;):D

Even with a true #1 goalie you need to give him a game off. Normally it's every fourth game. With the off week I'm not sure it's an issue. Play the goalie that'll get what the team needs: two wins. I don't care who it is.

The pregame show starts at 9:35 pm CST and game time is 10:00 pm CST. I guess that'd be 10:35 and 11:00 for the EST folks.

I'm in St.Paul...but won't be near a radio even if I could get a signal down here. Had to compromise with the girl on a January Friday night out...figured it was better to miss UAA, than CC or the goofs.

You had to compromise a hockey night?? Wow. I think I'm learning that I need to screen any future boyfriends to make sure they fully support my hockey viewing. :D

Uh, Friday, January 24 is a off date for the Sioux. Did you make a scheduling boo-boo? ;):D

But I've got 'Kato at UofM tickets the 24/25th...'scouting' Joseph/Stevenson for their February Sioux series.

I agree UND needs to do well on the big ice at UAA, CC and Mankato...and I think with the 'practice' rink and speed, they'll have an easier time transitioning to big ice than most big ice teams have to small ice. And other than those rinks, the road to the end of the season and on to the NCAA's goes the small ice route. Yost, Worcester, Buffalo, ... I can't recall if Providence has big or small ice, but we all know how the Sioux fare out there.

Providence cannot be an Olympic-sized rink -- was there in 2000. Great news on CC, Maine tonight. I was at the BU-BC game at Walter Brown Arena (BU) last night. Great environment, but hard to see BC win (and they won tonight against BU at BC, too). BC has a great 1-2-2 trap. BU couldn't get it out of their own zone Thursday night. Reminded me of the North Dakota/BC regional game in '99 (Maine won it all that year in Anaheim). Gotta use that speed against them to control the puck.

I don't ever want to hear "E-A-G-L-E-S. Eagles, Eagles, Eagles!" again in my lifetime! Beat BC (no matter what)!