SiouxSports.com Forum

How does Jordan Parise compare to other great Sioux goalies?

Sioux18

I think by the numbers, Karl Goehring had the best career as a goalie at UND, but after that, it's a little fuzzy. I've got Jordan Parise in my all-time top five; but how do you rate them?

Listed by number of wins....

Goehring, Karl '97-'01 80-20-13 .765 win pct. .918 sv. pct. 2.23 GAA 15 SO 1 title

Casey, Jon '80-'84 52-20-4 .711 win pct. .910 sv. pct. 2.89 GAA 3 SO 1 title*

Parise, Jordan '03-'06 48-17-7 .715 win pct. .921 sv. pct. 2.10 GAA 9 SO

Jensen, Darren '79-'82 46-22-3 .669 win pct. .894 sv. pct. 3.41 GAA 1 SO 2 titles

Belfour, Ed '86-'87 29-4-0 .879 win pct. .915 sv. pct. 2.43 GAA 3 SO 1 title

*Darren Jensen was in net for the 1982 championship game

There are other goalies to consider on the basis of wins (Kvalevog has 52, Brower 47, Waselovich 44, Dickson 43, Kollar 41), but they barely won half of their games and their other numbers don't stand up upon comparison. Bob Iwabuchi had a good couple of years (28-13-1 .892 2.81), but I'm sticking with these five guys, and I have them in this order:

Goehring (doesn't matter how big you are, just stop the puck)

Jensen (hard to argue with two titles)

Belfour (only one year, but what a year!)

Parise (great numbers across the board)

Casey (doesn't win head to head comparison with Parise)

Discuss.....

Sioux18

he ranks right up there with the best which you have mentioned. i laugh when i hear people say, oh jordan isn't technically sound and he gives up to many soft goals. i could care less how a goalie stops pucks as long as they don't end up in the back of the net to often. actually heard this from a sioux fan sitting above me in denver. but everyone has their own opinion so thats cool. the numbers do not lie. if he stays for his senior year which i think he will do unless a can't pass offer is dangled out there i think he can really make a big time statement as one of the best ever to play for the sioux if he hasn't already!

looking at those numbers i noticed 1 thing that jordan does not have that the others own and that is a TITLE. he had a hell of a run last year at it and i think he will get 1 in the next 2 years.

It's a hard comparison to make in all reality. The goalies that you mentioned had great supporting casts in front of them. You mention Kvalevog, who had no supporting cast in front of him, was the workhorse for the team, playing the majority of games, facing a ton of shots, yet still seemed to be the difference in a lot of games. Do I think he's the best ever? No, but he definitely did a great job for what he had to work with. I personally think Karl G. was the best, but someone else is sure to disagree with me. JPar has saved the Sioux's bacon more than once this year, and a lot of times, he doesn't look very good doing it, but gets the job done. All the goalies that you mentioned were great goalies in their time at UND, but to name the best...well, you'll get a lot of different opinions. The more recent grads will stick with Karl. The older grads will most likely go with someone else. I did enjoy watching Kvalevog though. ;)

I'd have to say Casey & Belfour - But I have total confidence in Jordan - He is a winner & if the rest of the team can play with the same desire & determination, the rest of the way out, we will shock a few folks

If you're looking at a career, you could have several choices. In terms of best individual season, you'd be hard-pressed to find one better than someone who didn't make this list. Let me give you some hints:

23 games played, 17-3 record, .908 save percentage, 4 shutouts, GAA of 2.31.

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

If you're looking at a career, you could have several choices. In terms of best individual season, you'd be hard-pressed to find one better than someone who didn't make this list. Let me give you some hints:

23 games played, 17-3 record, .908 save percentage, 4 shutouts, GAA of 2.31.

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

It's that reallr, really, really old guy in the NHL right. ;):lol: What's his name? :lol:

BTW in response to the original question.

Parise: # of championships = 0. This is the ultimate metric. I would like to see this go to 2 and then I think he could be #1

I like Goering then Belfour. Jensen would be #3 for me, but I'd move Jordie there with a title in his resume.

The knocks on him as a Freshman are no longer valid. He is a different (better) goaltender now. He has grown into the job of a #1 goaltender and his current numbers plus his post-season run last year back that up.

This season isn't done yet. Keep in mind that if Jordan comes back for his senior year, he just might eclipse some of Goehring's records.

IF Jordan comes back for his senior year? Is there a reason why he wouldn't that I don't know about?

Depending on the length of this year's run, and Jordan's contribution to it,

and if I were still a betting man, and I thank God daily that I am not, I

would say that Jordan will be gone come June. His stock will never be

higher, and his handlers will strike the best deal that they can on the free agent

market.

I hope that this is not true, but even if it is, we will be in very capable hands

with Lammy and the Walski.

No question, Ralph was the greatest goalie UND ever had. Alot of the guys we're talking about wouldn't have been here without his commitment to the University.

Ranking goalies after that, I think you should need a National Title to be considered. In other words, by the end of next season, Jordan Parise will be the second best goalie UND ever produced.

Ranking goalies after that, I think you should need a National Title to be considered. In other words, by the end of next season, Jordan Parise will be the second best goalie UND ever produced.

By the end of next season, if Jordan's still here, he might have two titles. Will he still be "second best"? ;)

I can't see Parise leaving unless there are other considerations at play. He isn't going to get a big contract and isn't going to be in the NHL anytime soon, and probably never. I can't imagine comparing JP to Roche in terms of NHL interest.

I put Casey, Belfour and Goehring at the top. I always felt confident with them in the net. Soft spot in my heart for Aaron Schweitzer for what he did here and the save against the gophers that got it all rolling. To bad for his injuries and demise of his career. Would have liked to see him go on the the NHL instead of finishing his career at the U of Regina. Parise's numbers don't lie so he has to be in the mix.

That said, the game was different back in the '80's and there is a different standard.

Just like nobody in the foreseeable future will touch Hrkac's 116 points. He had 70 assists...and by the way threw in 46 goals. The leader in the nation barely has half that.

---Great point about Ralph - for what they did for the program probably Ralph and Eddie the Eagle

By the end of next season, if Jordan's still here, he might have two titles. Will he still be "second best"? ;)

Not if he eclipses the amount of money that the "best" goaltender donated to the school. I think he was referring to Ralph being the "best" goaltender, because of the opportunities that he created for all of the other players to play for UND.

Regardless of where he ranks (it's all subjective I suppose), those numbers are pretty impressive, especially when put up next to the other goalies listed in the first post. I think it will make those that don't follow the Sioux that closely realize that Parise might be a bit better than originally given credit for.

Not if he eclipses the amount of money that the "best" goaltender donated to the school. I think he was referring to Ralph being the "best" goaltender, because of the opportunities that he created for all of the other players to play for UND.

Okay, I get it now. ;)