SiouxSports.com Forum

CBS Sports will be on campus Sat.

GrahamKracker

This is an email I recieved today....anyone going? I'll be there, of course.

"Please note that Bruce Schein, CBS Sports-New York, will be on campus on Saturday- March 4th to conduct interviews regarding the Sioux name controversy. It will be aired nationally on March 12th at noon Eastern Time."

Oh wait, this is an "invitation only" gig, my bad. You guys can watch it on the 12th, though, and you know I'll put a good word in for all of my sioux-lovin people here on campus! ;-)

"Please note that Bruce Schein, CBS Sports-New York, will be on campus on Saturday- March 4th to conduct interviews regarding the Sioux name controversy. It will be aired nationally on March 12th at noon Eastern Time."

Oh wait, this is an "invitation only" gig, my bad. You guys can watch it on the 12th, though, and you know I'll put a good word in for all of my sioux-lovin people here on campus! ;-)

Hmmm. I got you. Only those that present a certain viewpoint will be interviewed. And this will be called objective reporting right?

Just remember to give the media your REAL NAME! :whistling: (it adds credibility from what I understand :lol: )

I really don't get you GrahamKracker. I know you just do these things to get under the skin of Fighting Sioux fans, but why. I've never responded to you on SS.com, but I've read quite a bit on here that you've been involved with. Most everyone here tries to rationalize with you, but you don't seem to want to embrace the truth. The truth is the Fighting Sioux name is treated with great respect. I don't know if you were at the hockey game last night, but I looked around the Arena and saw everyone showing nothing but respect for the Lakota Sioux Fancy Dancers and their Sioux heritage. I remember when I was 10 years old and thinking the Fighting Sioux are the best...35 years later I still think the same way. Whether you want to believe it or not, the Fighting Sioux name is a very positive thing for kids as well as people who have honored the name their entire life. Could you at least think about what I just said? Thank You

I really don't get you GrahamKracker. I know you just do these things to get under the skin of Fighting Sioux fans, but why. I've never responded to you on SS.com, but I've read quite a bit on here that you've been involved with. Most everyone here tries to rationalize with you, but you don't seem to want to embrace the truth. The truth is the Fighting Sioux name is treated with great respect. I don't know if you were at the hockey game last night, but I looked around the Arena and saw everyone showing nothing but respect for the Lakota Sioux Fancy Dancers and their Sioux heritage. I remember when I was 10 years old and thinking the Fighting Sioux are the best...35 years later I still think the same way. Whether you want to believe it or not, the Fighting Sioux name is a very positive thing for kids as well as people who have honored the name their entire life. Could you at least think about what I just said? Thank You

There is no rationalizing with GK. This is a guy who, earlier on in this "fight" decided that the only way to "teach" us is to be just as racist as he feels we are being towards "his" people. When one responds to alleged racism with actual racism makes his arguments unworthy of being listened to. Just do what I do and ignore him.

It is an unfortunate thing that CBS doesn't want both sides of the issue. But that's just how the media is these days.

Since it's GK who is the dispenser of the CBS Sports news story, me thinks that there may be more to it. There likely will be Fighting Sioux supporters who are going to be interviewed. Hopefully, the reporter will be smart enough to ask about current instances of disrespect of the Sioux name not things that happened a generation or more ago. And hopefully he will ask for concrete evidence not vague, 'my feelings are hurt', 'I can't get good grades because of the nickname', 'I'm depressed because of the nickname', etc. Hopefully, he will ask for more than 'perceived' disrespect'.

But, regardless of the outcome of this interview, UND will NOT cease to use the name. Very likely we will lose the pending appeal but we will go forward and win BIG in court. :whistling:

Since it's GK who is the dispenser of the CBS Sports news story, me thinks that there may be more to it. There likely will be Fighting Sioux supporters who are going to be interviewed. Hopefully, the reporter will be smart enough to ask about current instances of disrespect of the Sioux name not things that happened a generation or more ago. And hopefully he will ask for concrete evidence not vague, 'my feelings are hurt', 'I can't get good grades because of the nickname', 'I'm depressed because of the nickname', etc. Hopefully, he will ask for more than 'perceived' disrespect'.

But, regardless of the outcome of this interview, UND will NOT cease to use the name. Very likely we will lose the pending appeal but we will go forward and win BIG in court. :lol:

YOu're optimistic, but lately the media hasn't been too keen on getting both sides of the story or slants stories to favor the side of the aisle the station's stance is towards.

I hope they get both sides, but I'm not expecting them to.

YOu're optimistic, but lately the media hasn't been too keen on getting both sides of the story or slants stories to favor the side of the aisle the station's stance is towards.

I hope they get both sides, but I'm not expecting them to.

Yes I am optimistic! But since we know that the media will go with whatever the 'better story' is, you may be right. Still doesn't matter. We're gonna win this, NO doubt in my mind at all! :lol:

"GK"/"Informant" sounds too much like the same arrogant school of thought. As the great Don Clericuzio once figuratively said "Let them dance of the bottom of the Ocean together".

Can't either of you two find something better to do in your time? And by the way...........CBS?;)???..................The chances of them covering a story in an unbiased manner is the same chance as Bigmrg74 admitting that there are other equal caliber teams as grand valley state! :lol:

"GK"/"Informant" sounds too much like the same arrogant school of thought. As the great Don Clericuzio once figuratively said "Let them dance of the bottom of the Ocean together".

Can't either of you two find something better to do in your time? And by the way...........CBS?:D???..................The chances of them covering a story in an unbiased manner is the same chance as Bigmrg74 admitting that there are other equal caliber teams as grand valley state! :lol:

easy on my boy now! They're legit - BOTH their WOMENS AND MENS BB teams hosted their conference BB tourneys last weekend and WON BOTH! - imagine THAT! ;):)

Can't either of you two find something better to do in your time? And by the way...........CBS?;)???..................The chances of them covering a story in an unbiased manner is the same chance as Bigmrg74 admitting that there are other equal caliber teams as grand valley state!

Hey, why do you think I hang around here for?? :D It isn't for the free punch and pie!! :) That, and the dang Monkey's won't let me onto their board. :lol:

But, regardless of the outcome of this interview, UND will NOT cease to use the name. Very likely we will lose the pending appeal but we will go forward and win BIG in court. :lol:

I truly hope that UND takes this thing to court. They just don't know when to quit. It too bad that instead of focusing their resources on the real problems on campus, they are fighting a battle that they can't win.

Even if UND won an appeal or a court battle, do you really think it will be over? With all of the programs out there against the name, including University Senate, this thing is far from over.

I truly hope that UND takes this thing to court. They just don't know when to quit. It too bad that instead of focusing their resources on the real problems on campus, they are fighting a battle that they can't win.

Even if UND won an appeal or a court battle, do you really think it will be over? With all of the programs out there against the name, including University Senate, this thing is far from over.

Careful what you ask for. I'll bet you never thought it would even get this far.

I truly hope that UND takes this thing to court.

Don't waste your time hoping, the plan to proceed to court when the appeal is denied is in place and the players are set to win. Set aside the treaties and resolutions you keep quoting and read UNDs recent responses to the NC$$. Makes for interesting reading.

Spending resources on freedom of speech and overturning dictatorships has never been considered nor is a 'waste of resources'.

Don't waste your time hoping, the plan to proceed to court when the appeal is denied is in place and the players are set to win. Set aside the treaties and resolutions you keep quoting and read UNDs recent responses to the NC$$. Makes for interesting reading.

Spending resources on freedom of speech and overturning dictatorships has never been considered nor is a 'waste of resources'.

Dictatorship? Is that like the SBHE and Kupcake ignoring the request of the Sioux Nation to retire the name? Unfortunately, most of the world sees UND, the GF community, and ND for that matter, as backwoods-resistant-to-change-hicks. I mean, how stupid does it look to hold onto and embrace a name that you have no rights to? you seem to use $$$ signs so much in your postings, that is only correct because as we speak, Cupcake is on a SD reservation making his plea to members of the Lakota Nation, and throwing around 6-figure numbers while doing it. Yes, there is a price on this. More than .25M, less than .5M. How do I know this? I've spoken to tribal members of tribes he's approached with this "price". Of course they turned him down.

In reality, the founders of the name here should have used a different tribe to make a mockery of. I don't know how much history you know about the Sioux, but we don't get bought off that easy. If that was the case, we would have taken the "over a billion $$$" now in trust for the Black Hills.

You call it a dictatorship. I call it progress. At least NCAA has the balls to enact this, even if it pisses off the non-enrolled/non-indian sioux people of ND.

Dictatorship? Is that like the SBHE and Kupcake ignoring the request of the Sioux Nation to retire the name? Unfortunately, most of the world sees UND, the GF community, and ND for that matter, as backwoods-resistant-to-change-hicks. I mean, how stupid does it look to hold onto and embrace a name that you have no rights to? you seem to use $$$ signs so much in your postings, that is only correct because as we speak, Cupcake is on a SD reservation making his plea to members of the Lakota Nation, and throwing around 6-figure numbers while doing it. Yes, there is a price on this. More than .25M, less than .5M. How do I know this? I've spoken to tribal members of tribes he's approached with this "price". Of course they turned him down.

In reality, the founders of the name here should have used a different tribe to make a mockery of. I don't know how much history you know about the Sioux, but we don't get bought off that easy. If that was the case, we would have taken the "over a billion $$$" now in trust for the Black Hills.

You call it a dictatorship. I call it progress. At least NCAA has the balls to enact this, even if it pisses off the non-enrolled/non-indian sioux people of ND.

Quit calling yourself Sioux! You're not Sioux. Your Lakota/Dakota/Nakota. Quit holding Pow Wows off the reservation and charging admission! You're disgracing your ancesters by making traditional dance a capitalistic venture. Quit selling jewelry/cravings/etc. You're disgracing your ancesters by using sacred symbols to make a buck.

That's pretty damned cheeky of me to make those demands isn't it. How dare I dictate to you how to live your life, maintain your culture, and make a living. No way would you or should you consent to those demands.

The use of the name Sioux is not restricted by law, trademark, etc. The NC$$ has no right to dictate to UND its use . The NC$$ is going to lose this fight in court in part because out of one side of its' mouth it says the use of American Indian nicknames, logos and mascots is hostile and abusive, yet out of the other side of its' mouth it says if you're a big school that generates big revenues for the NC$$ its' not hostile and abusive. Having a 'namesake' triibe ok the use doesn't make it any less hostile and abusive.

But then again if it's not hostile and abusive for some it isn't for others. Confusing, right? It will be settled in a court of law.

I have always enjoy watching Native American dance and listening to their music. The South Dakota Lakota Sioux who performed at Friday night's hockey game were exceptional!!!

There is no rationalizing with GK. This is a guy who, earlier on in this "fight" decided that the only way to "teach" us is to be just as racist as he feels we are being towards "his" people. When one responds to alleged racism with actual racism makes his arguments unworthy of being listened to. Just do what I do and ignore him.

It is an unfortunate thing that CBS doesn't want both sides of the issue. But that's just how the media is these days.

Redwing77...your right, this person doesn't know how to rationalize. After reading a few more of GrahamKrackers' responses, I've come to the conclusion that he really is a complete id..., that thinks he has more power than he does. We can only hope that he's one of the people CBS puts on the air.

Redwing77...your right, this person doesn't know how to rationalize. After reading a few more of GrahamKrackers' responses, I've come to the conclusion that he really is a complete id..., that thinks he has more power than he does. We can only hope that he's one of the people CBS puts on the air.

He's just a racist. I mean, we're not seeing it his way so we're now "backwoods yaddayadda hicks" now. He's name calling so he's given up all hope of being taken seriously. He's now firmly at the two year old mentality of "I don't like you, you big MEANIE!! You're a poopyhead! I'm gonna tell on you!" :lol:

Who cares. I've ignored him now. He's not worth my time. It's too bad it has come down to that. I mean, a good debate in invigorating. But who argues with a person who is prone to childishness and petty name calling?

Who doesn't know when to quit? The vast majority of every group wants to keep the name. Maybe the PC people should focus their resources on the real problems in Indian Country.

The only people against the name are the ultra leftist PC types and the "poor me" Natives who look for "racism" like Jesse Jackson has done for African-Americans. I suppose CBS is going to have the wife beating terrorist Russell Means on to present an "objective" viewpoint. :lol:

Folks, CBS will do this, and then they'll run the very next

Florida State v. Florida,

Florida State v. Notre Dame, or

Florida State v. Miami of Florida

college football game they can get the rights to.

And if it's at FSU you know Renegade and Chief Osceola will be shown.