SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-2006 State hockey

sports

Thursday, Feb. 23rd: [Ralph Engelstad Arena -Grand Forks, ND]

#1W-Minot vs #4E-G.F. Central 12:00 pm

#2E-Fargo South vs #3W-Devils Lake 2:30 pm

#2W-Williston vs #3E-Grafton/P.R. 6:00 pm

#1E-G.F. Red River vs #4W-Bismarck High 8:30 pm

Radio: KNOX(GF games) and WDAY(all of them)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday, Feb. 23rd: [Ralph Engelstad Arena -Grand Forks, ND]

#1W-Minot vs #4E-G.F. Central 12:00 pm

#2E-Fargo South vs #3W-Devils Lake 2:30 pm

#2W-Williston vs #3E-Grafton/P.R. 6:00 pm

#1E-G.F. Red River vs #4W-Bismarck High 8:30 pm

Radio: KNOX(GF games) and WDAY(all of them)

Without trying to start a east vs. west flamefest on here , can anyone logically

explain why the number one seed in the west has had to play the 12:00 game 4

of the last 5 years. I hope we can call this a coincidence, otherwise the organizers

of this state tourney need to jacked up. Please don't tell me there is no differance

in what time you play, because there is! I don't need to rehash the whole sleeping

in your own bed, it;s been beat to death. But if there is a logical explanation I would

love to here it.

Without trying to start a east vs. west flamefest on here , can anyone logically

of the last 5 years. I hope we can call this a coincidence, otherwise the organizers

of this state tourney need to jacked up. Please don't tell me there is no differance

in what time you play, because there is! I don't need to rehash the whole sleeping

in your own bed, it;s been beat to death. But if there is a logical explanation I would

love to here it.

I believe the #1 Western school plays the noon game because that game commonly has the lowest attendance number, and they would rather lose money off a Minot-(Insert eastern 4 seed here) game than risk losing some gate for the best eastern team which usually comes from the city of Grand Forks (the host city). I'm not saying thats the exact reason why and if it is it's completely wrong but it may be why.

I believe the #1 Western school plays the noon game because that game commonly has the lowest attendance number, and they would rather lose money off a Minot-(Insert eastern 4 seed here) game than risk losing some gate for the best eastern team which usually comes from the city of Grand Forks (the host city). I'm not saying thats the exact reason why and if it is it's completely wrong but it may be why.

If revenue was the answer, than the past two tournaments Minot Vs. GF central would have been the evening game to compliment the RR game . You will have to dig deeper than that. Remember their is a west team in every game of the opening round.

Interesting theory. You could be right. It seems everything now days is driven by the almighty dollar. :huh:

Interesting theory. You could be right. It seems everything now days is driven by the almighty dollar. :huh:

Agreed. Best in the East is usually only a 1 hour drive from GF at the most, seems like more people are willing to support them the entire tournament. Just look at the stands, you hardly see any West students unless their team is ranked high!

love to here it.

On the flip side, if Minot can actually win a first round game, then they have more time to rest before Fri nights games.

Simply not true. The East expects to win every first round game and so the attendance at all Thursday games is West fans and East parents (and students if it gets them out of school). The largest part of East fans work Thursday and show up at 6:30 Friday.

If the almighty dollar were the reason, they'd put #1 West late Thursday because it would probably be their biggest Thursday draw.

Having said that, I don't know why that process does not rotate on odd and even years. Might require someone at HS Activities to cut and paste a bracket ... too much work!

Ok anyone have guesses on who is going to win? I do.

2#1W-Minot vs #4E-G.F. Central:5

3#2E-Fargo South vs #3W-Devils Lake:2

5#2W-Williston vs #3E-Grafton/P.R.:6

:5#1E-G.F. Red River vs #4W-Bismarck High:0

I have not seen the East teams play since state last year, but I have seen a lot of West games.

Minot is big, physical and under new management. Let's see if that translates into a win. I think it will in first round, 4-2.

South/Devils Lake. Will be closer than people think if Groves plays decent. Devils Lake just does not give up a lot of good scoring chances. Of course, they don't score much themselves, either. Let's say 3-0 South.

Williston has lost a whole first line of forwards. Right now, they couldn't score 5 if left alone in the rink! Let's say 6-2 Grafton instead.

Don't think Bismarck High will get shut out. They have the best line in the West right now with Connell, Monson and Miller. So let's say 5-2 Red River instead of 5-0.

Semis: South will probably score more on Minot than on Devils Lake, just because of different styles. So South 6-2. Red River over Grafton 4-2.

Finals: for South to win they need to get ahead and stay ahead! Red River always seems to be well coached and disciplined. Doesn't always seem that way for South. I haven't seen either skate yet, so I won't predict any score here.

Hope it's a great tournament and the West doesn't fall all over themselves in the first round, as usual!

Don't think Bismarck High will get shut out. They have the best line in the West right now with Connell, Monson and Miller. So let's say 5-2 Red River instead of 5-0.

- remember earlier in the year too, bismarck high also has one of the best goaltenders in the state, when they played fargo south they were outshot something like 58-10 and the final score was only 3-1, so anything is possible come tourney time. But realistically the only west team moving on this weekend will be minot, and that is because central has had a down year, but come tourney time who knows. I will say minot will win 5-3, grafton will win 6-4, south will win 7-2, and RR will win 4-1

I guess I'll post here since the other thread is getting into a flame fest. I posted the other day in the other thread that I was surprised as to how many people picked Minot to win their first round game, and the trend has kind of continued here. Part of me wants to believe that the new coaching staff and the brand new philosophy will change Minot's fortunes in the first round, but just when I want to start believing something crazy will happen, and they'll lose. Minot High just may be the Boston Red Sox of North Dakota high school hockey.... :D

Only two days away though... ;)

thats not possible cause they won one already, against bhs though lol

That was the best high school hockey game I've ever seen. I know many will argue, but I think that game was probably the best championship game in North Dakota history. Yeah there was Walski's performance, yeah the Red River-Central co Championship, but the wild west shootout topped them all IMHO. :D

i agree but if bhs can't win then they prolly never will lol, Mike peluso played for the chicago blackhawks, mitch vig won a national championship at UND, justin theele started for 4 years at Notre dame, and that was the year peluso scored over 100 points, quite possibly the best team the west has ever seen, and arguable one of the best in the state all time period, and they still lost, and the worst part was they beat minot like 6 or 7-1 earlier in the year, such a shame for my alma matter

i agree but if bhs can't win then they prolly never will lol, Mike peluso played for the chicago blackhawks, mitch vig won a national championship at UND, justin theele started for 4 years at Notre dame, and that was the year peluso scored over 100 points, quite possibly the best team the west has ever seen, and arguable one of the best in the state all time period, and they still lost, and the worst part was they beat minot like 6 or 7-1 earlier in the year, such a shame for my alma matter

mike peluso and jeremy asheim(co mr hockey with gasparini in 92) both had 99 point seasons to add to that, come state tournament time bismarck highs goaltender quit the team and the backup played in the state tourney

mike peluso and jeremy asheim(co mr hockey with gasparini in 92) both had 99 point seasons to add to that, come state tournament time bismarck highs goaltender quit the team and the backup played in the state tourney

I remember those two guys...amazing hockey players to say the least. The goaltending was pretty shaky for both teams in that Championship game. I mean 8-7 isn't exactly a debut of great goaltending, and there were a couple of weak goals both ways, but it was still a great hockey game!

I think Bismarck had outscored Minot something like 20-5 during the regular season. It still surprises me that Minot won that game.