SiouxSports.com Forum

Home Ice

dj_hoime

We're a better road team this year. Maybe we want to be on the road for the WCHA playoffs?

Either way, though, I'd rather make the NCAAs and be a road team in the WCHA playoffs than be a home team in the WCHA playoffs and not make the NCAAs.

If we can have both... great!

I think that the most important thing is that we play St. Clown in the playoffs for 2 reasons. We can improve our TUC OR we can knock St Clown out of the TUCs and we can improve some common opponents standings. We may need help to make the real tournement... :D

We're a better road team this year. Maybe we want to be on the road for the WCHA playoffs?

Either way, though, I'd rather make the NCAAs and be a road team in the WCHA playoffs than be a home team in the WCHA playoffs and not make the NCAAs.

If we can have both... great!

Let's be honest here folks this team is going no-where this year. And don't give me the crap about last years team--it was a fluke.. All this "talent" and we are only 1 game above .500 in the WCHA. Think about that for a minute. We play 4 games against our biggest rival UofM and get destroyed. Yes we won 1 of the 4 but it was clear who was the better team. UW we get destroyed again @ home. We are 2-6 against the upper echelon teams in the WCHA.

Let's be honest here folks this team is going no-where this year. And don't give me the crap about last years team--it was a fluke.. All this "talent" and we are only 1 game above .500 in the WCHA. Think about that for a minute. We play 4 games against our biggest rival UofM and get destroyed. Yes we won 1 of the 4 but it was clear who was the better team. UW we get destroyed again @ home. We are 2-6 against the upper echelon teams in the WCHA.

Well, we lost 2 very close games against UM, both could have gone either way, and as for wisconsin, when we played them they were destroying everyone, they are a much different team now then they were then. We split with both cc and denver. Anything can happen but I think the Sioux can play with anyone in the country.

Well, we lost 2 very close games against UM, both could have gone either way, and as for wisconsin, when we played them they were destroying everyone, they are a much different team now then they were then. We split with both cc and denver. Anything can happen but I think the Sioux can play with anyone in the country.

I hear what you are saying and believe me I am the captain of the positivity police but when we played the Gophers this year I thought it was clearly evident that they were the better team. Yes they were close but they were head and shoulders above us--IMO. I did not see the Wisconsin series so I will rely on word of mouthl, and said word of mouth is a very very knowledageble WCHA fan. Said individual stated this years Wisconsin team is the best he has ever seen in his many many year of watching WCHA. Wisconsin did not have as much "talent" as we did this year according to the experts. Split with DU @ home and it may be a different series next weekend in the Rockies.

Basically let's not get too hyped on this years squad. I don't see it in them to make a run like they did last year.

Now next year is a different story. Essentially have all key components back and we will see if this "talent" has seasoned next year.

We may not make a run like last year, but we also have several contributing freshmen that are getting better every game and if we play some of those "upper echelon teams" again, we will have gotten much better--while they don't have as much upside potential. We might catch them a little bit by surprise...

It's better to be peaking at the right time. We all remember some of our past teams that have looked unbeatable during the season only to fall to a "weaker" team in the playoffs. Wisconsin looked unbeatable earlier this year and then went on a skid when their goaltender went down. Minnesota is playing tough right now, but can they keep it up for the next 6 weeks? They could fade a little too. If Parise can get hot down the stretch like he did last year, then things could get interesting.

I hope your reasoning was a joke?

Because we lost to the "upper echelon" teams in the WCHA, this team isn't going anywhere?

Did you happen to compare those "upper echelon teams in the WCHA" to the rest of the teams in the country. If you do, you may as well conclude that no one other than the "upper echelon teams in the WCHA" are going anywhere because those two particular teams are probably better than the rest of the country combined.

It is OK to have an opinion, but that was probably the worst factual or evidentiary support for an opinion I have ever heard. Say we lost to AA. Say we lost 3 of 4 to St. Cloud. But come on... don't pin your opinion on us losing to UW and U of M!

:huh:

I hope your reasoning was a joke?

Because we lost to the "upper echelon" teams in the WCHA, this team isn't going anywhere?

Did you happen to compare those "upper echelon teams in the WCHA" to the rest of the teams in the country. If you do, you may as well conclude that no one other than the "upper echelon teams in the WCHA" are going anywhere because those two particular teams are probably better than the rest of the country combined.

It is OK to have an opinion, but that was probably the worst factual or evidentiary support for an opinion I have ever heard. Say we lost to AA. Say we lost 3 of 4 to St. Cloud. But come on... don't pin your opinion on us losing to UW and U of M!

:huh:

Here is my side: UND has arguably the one of the top 5 programs in ALL of College Hockey and as such we have set the bar high. See 7 national titles, 13 WCHA conference championships, and fielding a national title contender year in and year out. With that being said, IMO we don't have it this year. UW and UofM look head and shoulders above us. See the aforementioned post, the UofM dominated us and so did UW. And losing to AA and 3 out of 4 to St. Cloud makes my point even more valid. When was the last time we lost 3 out of 5 to St. Cloud or to AA----PCM get to work

On a side note, yes I think UW and UofM are bound for a clash for a national championship. I think they are the two best teams I have seen this year.

Here is my side: UND has arguably the one of the top 5 programs in ALL of College Hockey and as such we have set the bar high. See 7 national titles, 13 WCHA conference championships, and fielding a national title contender year in and year out. With that being said, IMO we don't have it this year. UW and UofM look head and shoulders above us. See the aforementioned post, the UofM dominated us and so did UW. And losing to AA and 3 out of 4 to St. Cloud makes my point even more valid. When was the last time we lost 3 out of 5 to St. Cloud or to AA----PCM get to work

On a side note, yes I think UW and UofM are bound for a clash for a national championship. I think they are the two best teams I have seen this year.

OK. Now I understand (and agree). When you said "going anywhere" you were being like a typical Sioux fan - and I am one too - who measures success mostly in the form of Conference and National Championships. If this is what you meant - agreed! We will probably eek into the national tournament and maybe even win a first round game (despite being at home!) and bow out in the next. However, if - and this is a BIG "if" - if JPar continues to get just a little more confidence in each game as it progresses and we get an early lead, I think we have the "ability" [read as "potential talent on roster as indicated by past performance at their respective game prior to coming to UND and recruiting rankings] to play with anyone one on one... except for maybe the Gophs and Badgers. :)

Heck, I'll take another fluke this year. Stranger things have happened. Remember DU 2 yrs ago didn't even make the final five and stole #8 from us.

All of Saturday night's goals were highlight reels. The defense still scares me a bit but if we maintain the same chemistry we had against UMD, we have a really good chance of getting 2 or more points in Denver which we desperately need.

Personally, I'm hoping for a #4 seed in the NCAAs forcing Mn out east. If we get in, I like our chances to get to Milwaukee. But if Mn is in the Ralph for the regional, I wouldn't give us much of a chance.

i bet that MN gets to Grand Forks. Not that I want them to be there but it would bring a packed house for sure with Minny inthere. The Goofers are going to choke anyways...lol

If UND is a fourth seed it won't happen. I can see UND getting in on a 4th seed.

I hear what you are saying and believe me I am the captain of the positivity police but when we played the Gophers this year I thought it was clearly evident that they were the better team.

I don't agree the games with Minnesota and UND were close with the edge going to Minnesota, however, don't forget we lost a couple of games on questionable goals so like someone said earlier they could have went either way. I am not scared of the fact that UND could face the Gophers again in the NCAA playoffs. All I keep thinking about is that defense and Briggs in net and anything is possible.

Let's be honest here folks this team is going no-where this year.

How's this...We're playing 9 frosh who are better than other team's frosh. They now have a season under their belts and are coming together. This is the North Dakota Fighting Sioux and they WILL do much damage in the playoffs. Don't count them out to make a strong run, in fact, expect it.

I think that everyone on this board needs to realize, some more than others, that the season stats and scores go out the window when we hit the playoffs! Does anyone remember a little team called Bemidiji St last year almost upsetting Denver and going two years back having the complete package team and losing to by one goal to Denver. The playoffs are a whole differnt package, confidence and team work will win titles.

I will bet on this board that Wisconsin does not win it all this year, Minney has a chance but needs to stay focused, seems a few players let a goal or two go straight to their head, and as far as UND we need to go into Denver win Friday with same finesse as this past weekend and do it again on Saturday. We have the goaltending that it takes to win a national title, the question is do we have the 'team', after watching this weekend we very well could.

We lost early on to some the best teams in the WCHA as we should have, we skated at least 10 freshman against everyone. To compare games that were played in November to how we will do in March is foolish. This is a young team full of talent, that once hits its stride will put the hurt on any team. This weekend's series will tell the tale of how far the Sioux have come.

If the Sioux can get in as a #4 seed, that would ensure that neither UMN or UW would be at the REA. Which means that either BU or Miami (with the current PWR) would come to the Ralph for the West Regional.

Let's hope that the Sioux can take care of business against DU and move up in the rankings!

If the Sioux can get in as a #4 seed, that would ensure that neither UMN or UW would be at the REA. Which means that either BU or Miami (with the current PWR) would come to the Ralph for the West Regional.

Let's hope that the Sioux can take care of business against DU and move up in the rankings!

If UND is going to make the tourney, I'd love for them to be a #4 seed. Honestly though I think they will move up to a #3 if they are going to make the tourney. Then we will have another collision between the Gophers and UND.

Three of the games between the Gophs and Sioux could have gone either way this year. I don't like those odds if they can be avoided. Playoff crowds are usually much different as well. At Mariucci a playoff crowd of 8500 Gophers fans is far more vocal and supportive than the 10,000 season ticket holders. I would guess you'd see the same at REA.

How's this...We're playing 9 frosh who are better than other team's frosh. They now have a season under their belts and are coming together. This is the North Dakota Fighting Sioux and they WILL do much damage in the playoffs. Don't count them out to make a strong run, in fact, expect it.

These frosh may be better than other teams frosh but this is still a team game. And the team is 13-11 in the WCHA. We get beat to the top teams in the conference and beat the lower teams in the conference.

As far as damage in the playoffs it is a possibility but I just don't see it this year. I may be proved incorrect

If UND is going to make the tourney, I'd love for them to be a #4 seed. Honestly though I think they will move up to a #3 if they are going to make the tourney. Then we will have another collision between the Gophers and UND.

Three of the games between the Gophs and Sioux could have gone either way this year. I don't like those odds if they can be avoided. Playoff crowds are usually much different as well. At Mariucci a playoff crowd of 8500 Gophers fans is far more vocal and supportive than the 10,000 season ticket holders. I would guess you'd see the same at REA.

I give UND better odds against BU or Miami coming in as the No. 1. (Isn't that how Minny won her first champ in 2002 with a weak field at home for the regionals :-) )

I'd also like to see them kick some gopher butt for the chance to play in the FF this year too.