SiouxSports.com Forum

Home Ice

dj_hoime

It was '03, the Gophers had a home ice regional with no other decent teams placed there. :huh:

6 of one...etc. I was actually thinking of 2002 when they had the FF in St. Paul. Back then they still had the first round bye in the regionals, and MN had to play CC to get home to the FF. Granted, they did have a much better team and a much better record.

I was playing with the "what if" tool again...

What if the Sioux sweep DU and MTU and DU gets 2 points out of CC? DU and the Sioux would be tied at 34 points in the WCHA. What is the tiebreaker (since the head to head would be 2-2)? Is it goal differential?

I was playing with the "what if" tool again...

What if the Sioux sweep DU and MTU and DU gets 2 points out of CC? DU and the Sioux would be tied at 34 points in the WCHA. What is the tiebreaker (since the head to head would be 2-2)? Is it goal differential?

Actually, if the Sioux sweep Denver, they would be 3-1-0 against DU this year. I don't know the tie breaker scenarios, but I would hope head to head would be the first tie breaker.

Actually, if the Sioux sweep Denver, they would be 3-1-0 against DU this year. I don't know the tie breaker scenarios, but I would hope head to head would be the first tie breaker.

Doh. :D I just remember that Denver started the home losing streak.

So if we lose tonight are we behind them in the pwr rankings and drop back down to 16 or around there?

Why can't Bemidji get their heads out of the sand and help us out a little? It's seems as if all they are worried about is getting the game over with so they can focus on ice fishing and shopping at Pamida.

Why can't Bemidji get their heads out of the sand and help us out a little? It's seems as if all they are worried about is getting the game over with so they can focus on ice fishing and shopping at Pamida.

hey ATLsioux, now you are touching a nerve being a home town bemidji boy :D

hey ATLsioux, now you are touching a nerve being a home town bemidji boy :D

AZSIOUX, Bemidji was featured on the front page of the Wall Street Journal last week (pretty cool, even a picture of them on the cover) for the whole curling thing....if you want to give me your email address, I can email to you the nice color PDF of the WSJ front page (which would be pretty cool for everyone in the town to have and post around town/frame; much better than trying to hold on to a newsprint that deteriorates)

AZSIOUX, Bemidji was featured on the front page of the Wall Street Journal last week (pretty cool, even a picture of them on the cover) for the whole curling thing....if you want to give me your email address, I can email to you the nice color PDF of the WSJ front page (which would be pretty cool for everyone in the town to have and post around town/frame; much better than trying to hold on to a newsprint that deteriorates)

i saw it, that was pretty cool. 1st ever medal in curling history for the USA i believe.

ok, sorry, back to the topic of home ice :D

• 1 month later...

Let's be honest here folks this team is going no-where this year. And don't give me the crap about last years team--it was a fluke.. All this "talent" and we are only 1 game above .500 in the WCHA. Think about that for a minute. We play 4 games against our biggest rival UofM and get destroyed. Yes we won 1 of the 4 but it was clear who was the better team. UW we get destroyed again @ home. We are 2-6 against the upper echelon teams in the WCHA.

We may not make a run like last year, but we also have several contributing freshmen that are getting better every game and if we play some of those "upper echelon teams" again, we will have gotten much better--while they don't have as much upside potential. We might catch them a little bit by surprise...

It's better to be peaking at the right time. We all remember some of our past teams that have looked unbeatable during the season only to fall to a "weaker" team in the playoffs. Wisconsin looked unbeatable earlier this year and then went on a skid when their goaltender went down. Minnesota is playing tough right now, but can they keep it up for the next 6 weeks? They could fade a little too. If Parise can get hot down the stretch like he did last year, then things could get interesting.

I think deedub was wrong.... Here's to all of us that didn't lose the faith! Go Sioux!

I think deedub was wrong.... Here's to all of us that didn't lose the faith! Go Sioux!

Here Here!

Unofficially, Coach Hakstol is dedicating this Frozen Four to the "Fire Hakstol" campaigners. I mean, when's the last time a first time head coach (of ANY school) went to the Frozen or Final Four in his first two years of Head Coaching?

Heck, Hakstol isn't better than Gaspirini or Blais yet, but he's certainly not the worst coach I've ever seen either. :);)

I mean, when's the last time a first time head coach (of ANY school) went to the Frozen or Final Four in his first two years of Head Coaching?

I don't know about other coaches on other teams, but Bob May got the Sioux into the NCAA championship game his first two years. UND lost in 1958 and then won its first national championship in 1959.

Bill Selman did it 1966-67 and 1967-1968. The Sioux lost the NCAA championship both those seasons.

Gino Gasparini did it in 1978-1979 and 1979-1980, losing the national championship in '79 to Minnesota and winning it in '80.

Adding Hakstol to that list puts him in some elite company.

Doug Woog went to four Frozen Fours in his first four seasons as head coach, '86,'87,'88,'89.

And never won an NCAA title. Woog was actually a chink (the sound of the puck hitting the goal pipe) from winning the NCAA title against Harvard.