SiouxSports.com Forum

Puzzled & Troubled

deedub

Ladies & Gentlemen I am puzzled and troubled at this years squad. We have one of the most talent laden teams in recent memory. However, 11-11 in WCHA and 18-13 overall does not sit well with me. I know they play a lot of freshmen but all of these freshmen played at elite levels either in High School or juniors. I don't see a leader out on the ice. I saw that the last few years with Zach Parise but not this year. Also, I have heard rumblings of a Shattuck clique and a freshmen clique which is not sitting well with the rest of the squad??

Anyways, thanks for listening b/c I feel bette now

Ladies & Gentlemen I am puzzled and troubled at this years squad. We have one of the most talent laden teams in recent memory. However, 11-11 in WCHA and 18-13 overall does not sit well with me. I know they play a lot of freshmen but all of these freshmen played at elite levels either in High School or juniors. I don't see a leader out on the ice. I saw that the last few years with Zach Parise but not this year. Also, I have heard rumblings of a Shattuck clique and a freshmen clique which is not sitting well with the rest of the squad??

Anyways, thanks for listening b/c I feel bette now

i can see a bit of a freshman clique, mostly because they are all going through the same thing as being new to this league, also a bit of it because they all are mandated to live together in the dorms...

i can also see the shattuck clique cuz sooo many of them come from there, it's something they have in common

but as far as it sitting well with the rest of the team, that shouldn't matter once they get on the ice. it's something that is common on every team....not everyone gets along with everyone, but once they get on the ice, that stuff is put aside and they play as a team....maybe with as many freshman as their are, with these cliques, maybe that's the reason they haven't hit that second half stride that they should have hit a month ago with the talent on this team. I have heard rumblings of some of them not liking a certain defenseman....i've also heard of the older guys completely burying a freshmans vehicle in snow.........as long as that stuff goes aside during the game, during practice......nobody cares

I don't see a leader out on the ice. I saw that the last few years with Zach Parise but not this year.
Matt Smaby anyone??

Also, I have heard rumblings of a Shattuck clique and a freshmen clique which is not sitting well with the rest of the squad??
Poor Sparky :lol:

Ladies & Gentlemen I am puzzled and troubled at this years squad. We have one of the most talent laden teams in recent memory. However, 11-11 in WCHA and 18-13 overall does not sit well with me.

My guess is that it doesn't sit well with Dave Hakstol, Brad Berry, Cary Eades and members of the team, either. Get in line.

I know they play a lot of freshmen but all of these freshmen played at elite levels either in High School or juniors.
But did they all play on the same team? Did they all play in the WCHA? No?

Talent alone doesn't make a team. As Hakstol said on last night's UND coaches' show, building a team takes time. Team chemistry and cohesion just don't happen overnight. Maybe the Sioux will come together as a team at the right time this season and maybe they won't. If they don't, it won't be because nobody recognized the importance of team building.

I don't see a leader out on the ice. I saw that the last few years with Zach Parise but not this year.

Matt Smaby is big, he hits hard and he wears the C on his jersey. How do you not notice him? I'd say that he leads by example pretty well.

Perhaps you don't remember last season, but Matt Greene's leadership was questioned by many about this time a year ago. Now everyone recognizes him as a great captain. Strange what playing for a national championship will do for your reputation as a team leader.

Also, I have heard rumblings of a Shattuck clique and a freshmen clique which is not sitting well with the rest of the squad??
I heard about a Canadian clique, too. Should we be concerned?

I feel bette now

But how does bette feel?

I think the C has been on two great jerseys two straight years. I have no doubt that the Sioux captain is a great one this year and, if he should stay his senior year (doubtful), I think he could very well wear it again next season.

I think he definitely would wear the C next year..........One big problem there is about a 1 in 100 chance he will be here next year. As I have said before I do not like the trade off of Smaby for Marto. Finley is going to have to play the physical role because other than Jones who is undersized none of our D really play the body.

I think he definitely would wear the C next year..........One big problem there is about a 1 in 100 chance he will be here next year. As I have said before I do not like the trade off of Smaby for Marto. Finley is going to have to play the physical role because other than Jones who is undersized none of our D really play the body.

Soooo your saying there is a chance....

Soooo your saying there is a chance....

There's always a chance, but it isn't likely.

Tampa Bay was trying to sign Smaby last off season. Many of the NHL teams were trying to sign their NCAA players. Potulny and Smaby were offerred contracts for sure. There were more than likely other offers to other NCAA players as well.

If Matt returns for his senior season, I'll be elated. if he does sign early, I won't be surprised though.

Marto isn't a Smaby type player, that much is true so I see your point. He's got good height, but his weight is freakishly low. I don't know what the deal is with his weight. Maybe he's like my brother and can't gain weight even though he may eat enough food and supplements? Speculation to say the least.

I think Finley will eventually play more of the body and become a force. Unfortunately, it's taking time for that to develop, whereas that wasn't the case for Matt and Zach Jones, Matt Smaby, Matt Greene, David Hale, or Mike Commodore. One other thing to consider, Brian Lee and Taylor Chorney can be very physical at times even though they are touted more for their positioning and offensive play.

Oh and one last thing: If we needed coaching that could teach a physical game, I don't think we could have a better trio of coaches, do you?

Your forgeting that he doesn't exactly fit into the new nhl. there is much more emphasis on talent and footspeed. No offense to him, but he isn't the fleetest nor does he have exceptional hands.

Your forgeting that he doesn't exactly fit into the new nhl. there is much more emphasis on talent and footspeed. No offense to him, but he isn't the fleetest nor does he have exceptional hands.

I think Smaby is a great skater. I haven't heard too many Edmonton complaints about Greene.

Very good points. Many NHL'ers are still trying to figure that out.

Plus, I'm not sure what evidence exists about leadership. Not that long ago, many people chimed in that the Frosh were doing their part but the upper classmen weren't. It starts with the C doesn't it?

That said, I hope he stays as we need all the experience we can get next year.

There's always a chance, but it isn't likely.

Tampa Bay was trying to sign Smaby last off season. Many of the NHL teams were trying to sign their NCAA players. Potulny and Smaby were offerred contracts for sure. There were more than likely other offers to other NCAA players as well.

If Matt returns for his senior season, I'll be elated. if he does sign early, I won't be surprised though.

Marto isn't a Smaby type player, that much is true so I see your point. He's got good height, but his weight is freakishly low. I don't know what the deal is with his weight. Maybe he's like my brother and can't gain weight even though he may eat enough food and supplements? Speculation to say the least.

I think Finley will eventually play more of the body and become a force. Unfortunately, it's taking time for that to develop, whereas that wasn't the case for Matt and Zach Jones, Matt Smaby, Matt Greene, David Hale, or Mike Commodore. One other thing to consider, Brian Lee and Taylor Chorney can be very physical at times even though they are touted more for their positioning and offensive play.

Oh and one last thing: If we needed coaching that could teach a physical game, I don't think we could have a better trio of coaches, do you?

Part of Marto's tenure in the USHL is a weight training program. Don't know how he is doing, but he's made quite a commitment to UND in terms of bulking up. I look forward to seeing him play next year.

Very good points. Many NHL'ers are still trying to figure that out.

Plus, I'm not sure what evidence exists about leadership. Not that long ago, many people chimed in that the Frosh were doing their part but the upper classmen weren't. It starts with the C doesn't it?

That said, I hope he stays as we need all the experience we can get next year.

Hmmmm

What would you look for in leadership from a defensive defenseman? More offense? Is it Smaby's fault if Stafford or Zajac doesn't score? I'd really like to know what makes a good captain and, specifically, why Smaby isn't a good leader on the team. So far, I don't know what more Smaby could do on the ice or in the locker room?

As for the NHL and Smaby fit wise.... Since Matt Greene, Zdeno Chara, Derek Boogaard, and a host of other 6'3+ players are in the NHL, I'd like to say that the placement of Smaby as a future NHL player is actually quite the opposite of what was mentioned. He will play in the NHL. Here's a Hockeysfuture report on him. When the new prospect list comes out (which they are starting to update now), we'll see where he ends up. I'd be very surprised if he is at or below his current 7th best (4th best D) position in the TB organization.

Hmmmm

What would you look for in leadership from a defensive defenseman? More offense? Is it Smaby's fault if Stafford or Zajac doesn't score? I'd really like to know what makes a good captain and, specifically, why Smaby isn't a good leader on the team. So far, I don't know what more Smaby could do on the ice or in the locker room?

As for the NHL and Smaby fit wise.... Since Matt Greene, Zdeno Chara, Derek Boogaard, and a host of other 6'3+ players are in the NHL, I'd like to say that the placement of Smaby as a future NHL player is actually quite the opposite of what was mentioned. He will play in the NHL. Here's a Hockeysfuture report on him. When the new prospect list comes out (which they are starting to update now), we'll see where he ends up. I'd be very surprised if he is at or below his current 7th best (4th best D) position in the TB organization.

As for leadership, I mentioned Dave Tippett a while back. That was leadership. The player that got the job done on both ends of the ice and simply willed his team to W's. I know Smaby is a D man, and it's not his fault that Stafford sleeps through shifts, but I've seen too many dumb penalties or defensive lapses by Smaby to make me believe that counts as leadership.

You use Greene Chara and Boogaard in supporting Smaby's quest to play in the NHL. Thus far Greene has played 16 (out of 56) games and Chara is really the only regular on your list. Beyond that, even suggesting that Smaby is in their company due to his size is like saying that Manute Bol and Shaq are in the same company because they are both over 7 feet tall.

You know I jumped all over what I thought were Greeen's stupid penalties last year, but even I concede that he has greater potential to stick in the NHL if only b/c I can't remember Smaby's defensive play being as strong as Greene's. You would agree with that wouldn't you?

I haven't looked at the TBay prospect list, but as a big baseball fan, I'm suspicious of such lists as they are fun to look but sometimes are unable to accurately predict future value.

As for leadership, I mentioned Dave Tippett a while back. That was leadership. The player that got the job done on both ends of the ice and simply willed his team to W's. I know Smaby is a D man, and it's not his fault that Stafford sleeps through shifts, but I've seen too many dumb penalties or defensive lapses by Smaby to make me believe that counts as leadership.

You use Greene Chara and Boogaard in supporting Smaby's quest to play in the NHL. Thus far Greene has played 16 (out of 56) games and Chara is really the only regular on your list. Beyond that, even suggesting that Smaby is in their company due to his size is like saying that Manute Bol and Shaq are in the same company because they are both over 7 feet tall.

You know I jumped all over what I thought were Greeen's stupid penalties last year, but even I concede that he has greater potential to stick in the NHL if only b/c I can't remember Smaby's defensive play being as strong as Greene's. You would agree with that wouldn't you?

I haven't looked at the TBay prospect list, but as a big baseball fan, I'm suspicious of such lists as they are fun to look but sometimes are unable to accurately predict future value.

You're just a huge ball of sunshine aren't you. I bet you were pissed off at the team and questioning leadership back in '87 when they lost a couple games.

Greene is a ROOKIE on a defense-laden team. Oh, no, he's only played 16 games this year. He must be the worst defensemen ever. Why isn't he playing with pronger on the first d-pair? You seem to have a short memory. Greene took a lot more bad-timing penalties last year, but changed when it started to go down the stretch. I think I've seen a change in Smaby's play over the past couple weeks. He's hitting guys like he knows how to, he's staying out of the box, and he's playing solid defensively. I think a lot of people put too much pressure on the Captain position. I think he's doing his job and is playing well. Well enough to be a 6/7 D-man in the NHL. Hopefully, he Tampa doesn't think so, because despite your harping on him, I'd love to have him back next year. In a year where we don't have the fearsome D-Corps we had last year, Smaby is the big mofo that will light you up if you try to come into the zone. That's the epitome of Sioux Hockey right there.