SiouxSports.com Forum

Ovechkin WOW

AZSIOUX

Yeah, I was watching that game myself. The kid is unbelievable.

Higher res video available at the Caps site and the NHL. It dominated the ESPN replays and local media for days afterward.

The media that annointed Crosby the Calder before the season even began are tripping over each other jumping off the bandwagon. Now everyone is overreacting the other way, suggesting Ovechkin not only deserves the Calder, but perhaps even the Hart. He could slump and Crosby could rock and everyone will jump back over, but if he does manage to come up with a 2nd half that matches the 1st, he'll certainly be getting plenty of votes for both trophies.

The media that annointed Crosby the Calder before the season even began are tripping over each other jumping off the bandwagon. Now everyone is overreacting the other way, suggesting Ovechkin not only deserves the Calder, but perhaps even the Hart. He could slump and Crosby could rock and everyone will jump back over, but if he does manage to come up with a 2nd half that matches the 1st, he'll certainly be getting plenty of votes for both trophies.

Unfortunately, Ovechkin has no supporting cast members on this team, and they are doomed not to make the playoffs. Winning the Hart when your team is not in the playoffs? Most likely won't happen unless his numbers get even better than what he has now. If he does stay on his current pace, he'll score in the 60's as far as goals for the year. Only Teemu Selanne has done better as a rookie. At this point, he's definitely the player he was projected to be.

Unfortunately, Ovechkin has no supporting cast members on this team, and they are doomed not to make the playoffs. Winning the Hart when your team is not in the playoffs? Most likely won't happen unless his numbers get even better than what he has now. If he does stay on his current pace, he'll score in the 60's as far as goals for the year. Only Teemu Selanne has done better as a rookie. At this point, he's definitely the player he was projected to be.

And that is the key - He is doing this without much of a supporting cast. That makes it all that much more impressive.

Winning the Hart when your team is not in the playoffs? Most likely won't happen unless his numbers get even better than what he has now.

Remember that I did introduce those quotes by saying that suggesting Ovechkin for the Hart was an overreaction in the other direction, but technically:

"The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team."

It's hard to argue that there's any single player more valuable to his team than Ovechkin; however, I agree that it will almost certainly go to someone like Jagr who managed to lead a nothing team to the playoffs. Frankly, it's even a huge leap to assume that Ovechkin could keep up this pace through the second half.

Remember that I did introduce those quotes by saying that suggesting Ovechkin for the Hart was an overreaction in the other direction, but technically:

"The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team."

It's hard to argue that there's any single player more valuable to his team than Ovechkin; however, I agree that it will almost certainly go to someone like Jagr who managed to lead a nothing team to the playoffs.

I agree with you 100%. He is the reason they've been in the games, and won the games that they have. But as you said, it will go to someone like Jagr or Forsberg. If they perform well in the playoffs, it's hard to argue that they aren't deserving of it, but as of now, Ovechkin should be the clear cut favorite.

I was at the Caps game tonight and Ovechkin had another end to end highlight reel goal. He also picked up an assist and scored in the shootout, but the scary thing is the ice time he logs. Seems like he is nearly always on the ice. I remember one power play he was on for all but the last 2 seconds. He also chased down at least 2 would be icings to keep the play alive and set up a goal mouth feed that should have been another goal. And even more impressive are the licks he puts on people. If he keeps this up he might even be able to turn DC into a hockey town, at least for a little while. It will be fun to see what he does with the Russian Olympic team with some actual talent around him.

Ovechkin is better than Crosby in every aspect of the game. The only things he doesn't seem to do as well as Sindee are (1) pass the puck and (2) cry. But with a shot like his he has no need to ever pass the puck. His shot is as deadly as any set up.

i saw this live while working last sunday during the coyotes/capitals game and found a video clip of it. many of you may have seen this but for those who have not, this goal is fricken unbelievable. best i have ever seen.

video

http://www.youtube.com/w/Ovechkin-pwnz-Pho...search=ovechkin

PH2006011601058.jpg

Great post and great goal AZsioux. BTW, the Wild scored a beautiful goal on what I think was a set play last night. You can see every goal from every game on www.nhl.com/highlights (If you look for it, it is their forth goal).

I would love to see the sioux try this some time (but it could go horribly wrong). Basically this requires a pp and 3 men on the blue line (umbrella). Put someone with a great shot on top of the umbrella. Get the puck to a point and pass the puck through the top of the umbrella to the other point, with the player at the top (in this case Gaborik) swinging at it like he's taking a huge slapper. The puck goes through to the other point where the player fakes the shot and passes back against the grain to a likely wide open player. Given how fast everything happened, there was a player open for an easy tip in from 6 feet out. The goalie and D were out of position from the 2 fake shots.

This was a thing of beauty. Even the camera man got lost.