SiouxSports.com Forum

For serious rankings geeks only

jimdahl

I first posted this on the front page about a week ago, but it's to the point now that it works pretty well and has some interesting data behind it. We stats geeks often focus a lot on potential future rankings, but while developing this I've found that visualizing the historical trends also provides some interesting context to the current rankings.

Rankings history charts

Select a team, teams to which to compare, and your favorite ranking to see your team's historical performance in that ranking this season. Hover over a data point to see the team's ranking and numerical rating as of that date and any games since the previous data point (past week).

Why would you want to see a chart of past rankings? You probably don't -- as I warned, for serious rankings geeks only... I spend enough time in my real job visualizing data that I actually think this is fun. Updates weekly before you get up on Monday.

I first posted this on the front page about a week ago, but it's to the point now that it works pretty well and has some interesting data behind it. We stats geeks often focus a lot on potential future rankings, but while developing this I've found that visualizing the historical trends also provides some interesting context to the current rankings.

Rankings history charts

Select a team, teams to which to compare, and your favorite ranking to see your team's historical performance in that ranking this season. Hover over a data point to see the team's ranking and numerical rating as of that date and any games since the previous data point (past week).

Why would you want to see a chart of past rankings? You probably don't -- as I warned, for serious rankings geeks only... Updates weekly before you get up on Monday.

This is what makes this site the absolute best on the net for analyzing PWR and RPI.

Check out the effect on all WCHA teams RPI with the Gophers, MSU and SCSU going a combined 4-0-1 in out of conference play this past week.

Rankings history charts

Why would you want to see a chart of past rankings? You probably don't -- as I warned, for serious rankings geeks only... I spend enough time in my real job visualizing data that I actually think this is fun. Updates weekly before you get up on Monday.

Wow, I can really like this. I too work in visualizing data just like this. You stat geeks will know what Minitab software is, I'm sure.

Any chance you are willing to add a link on the Hockey Home page with the other PWR/RPI tools?

Hmmm... it's not quite the front, but there is a link on the stats tool page, which is itself under "Info" on the front. You could argue that "stats tools" should be under rankings/polls instead, but there is a place you can find it once this thread fades away.

Interesting how much the split benefitted the Gopher but hurt the Sioux. Now I want to see which comparison flipped for each; time to get working on the 3D version... :silly:

Hmmm... it's not quite the front, but there is a link on the stats tool page, which is itself under "Info" on the front. You could argue that "stats tools" should be under rankings/polls instead, but there is a place you can find it once this thread fades away.

Interesting how much the split benefitted the Gopher but hurt the Sioux. Now I want to see which comparison flipped for each; time to get working on the 3D version... :silly:

It's perfect where it is. I just had not found it.

I think UND losing three comparisons had more to do with a couple of their close comparisons like BC and SCSU tipping for a week.

UND's RPI didn't get hurt and actually went from 9th to 8th. With RPI being the most important component outside of H2H in PWR, I don't think UND is in bad position if they play well (getting eight or nine WCHA wins including 1st round playoff wins) down the stretch I think they will make the field relatively easily.

UND fans should root against Fairbanks, BC, DU, Mich State, Harvard and SCSU. Especially if they are playing some UND has played or a TUC.

I think a big factor was UMD getting whipped and falling out of the ranks of TUC's. Since MN lost to UMD and UND swept UMD, that moved our numbers pretty significantly. Also, Bemidji fell off the TUC list. IOW, its what happened elsewhere in this case. I think.

I think a big factor was UMD getting whipped and falling out of the ranks of TUC's. Since MN lost to UMD and UND swept UMD, that moved our numbers pretty significantly. Also, Bemidji fell off the TUC list. IOW, its what happened elsewhere in this case. I think.

Your right on I'm sure. Bemidji winning the CHA would help the Sioux a bunch at the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

Small new addition to the RPI ratings that probably doesn't deserve it's own thread: click on any team's name on the RPI ratings page to see some RPI details.

The cool part is that it not only gives you additional information on how the current RPI was calculated, but it also shows you how the strength of your upcoming opponents will affect your RPI.

For example, UND's RPI is currently .5413, but it's remaining games are weak enough that if it managed to play through them with no change in record, UND's RPI would drop to .5347 (opp% would shift from .5336 to .5232 and opp-opp% from .5145 to .5091). Back on topic -- the ratings charts are starting to get pretty cool as additional data fills in.

Honestly I don't see how you guys can get into the Stats this much, I sucked at Math in HS and College. That is why I leave it to the smart people like you. Math just isn't my bag. However, I do like the fact that you do a good job explaining it to everyone.