SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FB Recruiting

UND Fan

The question then lies with UND's O Coordinator. If Landry is good at throwing the deep ball, will UND install some plays that have the QB looking more than 10 yards down the field? But I digress....

(NOTE: It was better this year in that regard than in previous years, I admit)

I'm not positive, but I believe the Minnesota A.P. player of the year, Jake Machacek from Eastview High in Apple Valley, visited UND this past weekend. I assume his speed has kept dI schools from seriously recruiting him, as I believe he runs somewhere in the 4.6 or 4.7 range in the 40. However, I do think he's potentially a very good NCC back. He put up huge numbers in high school.

According to a poster on the minnesotapreps.com board, Machacek has committed to St. Cloud State.

While it would have been nice to sign the Eastview tailback, it really isnt that huge of a loss in my estimation for UND. I was surprised they were even considering recruiting a tailback considering what they have on their roster already. Beatty will be a senior, Strouth will be a junior, Brandon Brady is going to be a sophomore, Jordan Armentrout will be a sophomore, and Ryan Chappell just finished his redshirt year. So I don't think it's that big of a loss with all the talent they already have. Besides that, it doesnt seem like the kid was very interested in Grand Forks at all according to the article. Apparently there is a lot more to do in St. Cloud, like drive to Minneapolis. :lol: But if a kid doesnt want to be here and isnt in it 100% then it is probably better that we didnt get him. We want kids who want to be here. Good luck to the kid in the future.

verbals so far:

Paul German, lb, Fargo South

Ian Henderson, ol, Winnipeg

Creighton Schroyer, ol, Pipestone

Ross Cochran, lb, Kenosha

Adam Ward, dl, Maple Grove

Joel Schwenzfeier, db, Kittson Central

Ryan Kasowski, lb, Grand Forks Central

Jake Landry, qb, Grand Forks Central

Kyle Krusenstjerna, dl, Eastview (MN)

transfer:

Taylor Murray, ol, SDSU

I'm a little surprised that two defensive linemen have committed thus far considering five signed last year, including some very highly-regarded ones.

While it would have been nice to sign the Eastview tailback, it really isnt that huge of a loss in my estimation for UND. I was surprised they were even considering recruiting a tailback considering what they have on their roster already. Beatty will be a senior, Strouth will be a junior, Brandon Brady is going to be a sophomore, Jordan Armentrout will be a sophomore, and Ryan Chappell just finished his redshirt year. So I don't think it's that big of a loss with all the talent they already have. Besides that, it doesnt seem like the kid was very interested in Grand Forks at all according to the article. Apparently there is a lot more to do in St. Cloud, like drive to Minneapolis. :lol: But if a kid doesnt want to be here and isnt in it 100% then it is probably better that we didnt get him. We want kids who want to be here. Good luck to the kid in the future.

As far as I know Strouth will be a soph. again because of his knee injury being so early in the season. Anyone know if that is false?

If i'm not mistaken, Strouth played in 2003 and 2004. 2005 would have been his junior season. Because of early injury, he got his junior season back. This means he will be a junior next fall, and will have two years left. Hence, Strouth will be a junior next season.

You are absolutely correct! I answered that from the context that, yes, he will get another year due to the injury. But, he will be a junior, not a sophomore!

I don't know if Strouth will take that medical redshirt. He has school to think about. If he is a PT major he can't be doing part of the program if he is still an athlete. And he wont be allowed to hook up with any of the football players............oh wait.

verbals so far:

Paul German, lb, Fargo South

Ian Henderson, ol, Winnipeg

Creighton Schroyer, ol, Pipestone

Ross Cochran, lb, Kenosha

Adam Ward, dl, Maple Grove

Joel Schwenzfeier, db, Kittson Central

Ryan Kasowski, lb, Grand Forks Central

Jake Landry, qb, Grand Forks Central

Kyle Krusenstjerna, dl, Eastview (MN)

Carl Hanson, db, Oak Creek (WI)

Matt Bakke, dl, Grand Forks Central

Peter Gibbs, dl/olb, Grand Forks Central

Steve Kalwasinski, te, Rochester

Ty Boyle, dl, International Falls

Dylan Glaser, ol, Bismarck High

transfer:

Taylor Murray, ol, SDSU

I'm hoping for some pleasant surprises tomorrow. No running back or receiver commitments have found their way into the media, and generally you want to sign skill position players every year due to the inevitable injuries and/or attrition. I would also expect at least one more linebacker will sign.

UND is expected to sign another North Dakota quarterback today: link.

I'll be very interested to see whether Travis Mertens signs with anybody today. If not, I guess he's going to concentrate on basketball in college. I had heard before Christmas that he may try both at UND, but a lot may have changed since then. I think he's the biggest uncommitted North Dakota prospect out there.

I'll be very interested to see whether Travis Mertens signs with anybody today. If not, I guess he's going to concentrate on basketball in college. I had heard before Christmas that he may try both at UND, but a lot may have changed since then. I think he's the biggest uncommitted North Dakota prospect out there.

Just so no one gets their hopes up on signing Mertens... He will be going to Lake Region at the Metropolis known as Devils Lake to concentrate on honing his basketball skills. Sometimes one has to wonder what these kids think. He's too much of a tweener to play ball at any school bigger than UND in the future anyways, and could come here on a huge football scholarship and play a little basketball on the side. I guess if his heart isn't into playing football then he has to do what he has to do. Best of luck to him. I hope he doesn't regret this decision in the future, and enjoys his time at Lake Region.

Here's the list of recruits. I have to wonder if perhaps there are more to come? If not, this would be the smallest recruiting class in several years. I'm also extremely surprised that no running backs (Kasowski and Schwenzfeier will almost certainly play defense) or receivers were signed. That's very unusual.

Here's the list of recruits. I have to wonder if perhaps there are more to come? If not, this would be the smallest recruiting class in several years. I'm also extremely surprised that no running backs (Kasowski and Schwenzfeier will almost certainly play defense) or receivers were signed. That's very unusual.

Good list, congrats to UND.