SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers in Rodentville

AZSIOUX

I agree. And if it's true that what Stoa was doing was still a violation of the new rules, then I hope Sheppard has clarified this with all of his officials, and Hak has clarification with tonite's ref. Because if the gophers are going to take advantage of this again, I expect to see a Sioux planted in the same spot on the other end of the ice.

I guess I'm all for the officials allowing goals when players are camped in the crease like stoa was. BUT, by the same token, they should then show tolerance for other players trying to clear these idiots out that are just trying to take advantage of a loosley interpreted rule. Basically, stand in the crease, pay the price, I know this scenario is far-fetched, but that's what happens when officials use poor judgement. I'm usually not one to blame officiating because I think it is too easy of a target. However at times, I do have to question calls that come down to judgement of a particular rule.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story in today's Star Tribune. Best line from the article

"Over the years, Ray Finley has identified distinctive "sound bites" from each member of his family that he believes help define them. His Joe sound bite came when he asked his son why he chose North Dakota. "They're humble and hard," Joe Finley replied."

As opposed to cocky and soft like the rodents. I can understand why so many Minnesotans choose to play for the Fighing Sioux.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/180704.html

Story in today's Star Tribune. Best line from the article

"Over the years, Ray Finley has identified distinctive "sound bites" from each member of his family that he believes help define them. His Joe sound bite came when he asked his son why he chose North Dakota. "They're humble and hard," Joe Finley replied."

As opposed to cocky and soft like the rodents. I can understand why so many Minnesotans choose to play for the Fighing Sioux.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/180704.html

I think Kermit beat you to it.

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5428

Yeah, how dare Kessel pass the puck so often that it lead to 11 goals. ;) btw, I noticed someone criticized Kessel for not shooting enough. I don't think this kid could do anything right for some people. If he shot more he'd be accused of being too selfish, intead he leads the WJC tournament in assists and is 3rd on the Gophers while playing 2 fewer games yet somehow that's not good enough? Oh well, we'll take him. ;)

Yeah, how dare Kessel pass the puck so often that it lead to 11 goals. ;) btw, I noticed someone criticized Kessel for not shooting enough. I don't think this kid could do anything right for some people. If he shot more he'd be accused of being too selfish, intead he leads the WJC tournament in assists and is 3rd on the Gophers while playing 2 fewer games yet somehow that's not good enough? Oh well, we'll take him. ;)

We've already discussed the liberal method of handing out assists at the "John". Thats how.

Yeah, how dare Kessel pass the puck so often that it lead to 11 goals. ;) btw, I noticed someone criticized Kessel for not shooting enough. I don't think this kid could do anything right for some people. If he shot more he'd be accused of being too selfish, intead he leads the WJC tournament in assists and is 3rd on the Gophers while playing 2 fewer games yet somehow that's not good enough? Oh well, we'll take him. :D

Did I tell you that my all-time favorite moment at the WJC was when he tried his one move wonder on the Canadian D-men and wound up on his butt for his trouble. Priceless. ;););)

Jeff Dubay from KFAN asked Hak the following question:Dubay asks about how last year the team came together down the stretch. Considered UND the best team in the country, even better than Denver though Denver won. Is there a way to manipulate a team to play its best at end of year? Hak says you need to stay consistent, and send the same messages all year, but step up intensity level and expectations 1 notch above where they were last month. This team is a learning process. Last year was more of a transition with the coaching change. This year is more of a learning process. Most important thing for this year was gaining experience. Liked UND's first half schedule because it gave a variety of situations and tough teams and it could have made or broken us. Neither happened. Down the stretch we'll know how much it helped us.

At first when I heard that question I thought oh my God Jeff is really setting Hak up for some bulletin board material that the Goofer coaches can use for this weekend, then I realized that Dubers was actually serious. Hak had a good point basically said that his team is in a learning process as opposed to last years team being a veteran laden team. I would have to agree, who the heck knows.

Hey slap, so here you are before the games even start. Trying to establish some credibilty for yourself when you show up later to gloat ? You are right about one thing. I did say he passed up scoring chances, and he did. As far as him doing anything right for me or anyone else, I guess scouting services, and respected hockey analysts views of your boy just don't mean squat to you. Even pa and dubay can't figure out the hype, and those are your guys. But hey just keep up the good fight, someday someone may listen. Like I've said before, don't blame us because he hasn't lived up to the expectations placed on him by USA Hockey, scouts, fans, ect., that's not our fault. Oh well, you can have him.

You know, I've seen the overall record for the UofM vs. UND, but I'd like to see a year by year summary along with game scores, if anyone has access to those kinds of records?? ;)

Game list. The funny part is even if you throw out the games in the '30s, the record is 130-116-11. Still matches neither schools account.

Hey slap, so here you are before the games even start. Trying to establish some credibilty for yourself when you show up later to gloat ? You are right about one thing. I did say he passed up scoring chances, and he did. As far as him doing anything right for me or anyone else, I guess scouting services, and respected hockey analysts views of your boy just don't mean squat to you. Even pa and dubay can't figure out the hype, and those are your guys. But hey just keep up the good fight, someday someone may listen. Like I've said before, don't blame us because he hasn't lived up to the expectations placed on him by USA Hockey, scouts, fans, ect., that's not our fault. Oh well, you can have him.

Was it just me or did Kessel start to just shoot the puck at the net about middle of the second period to try and get a goal on Friday nights game?? Kessel is a great hockey talent, no doubt Slap shot. But since he is expected to be the first pick of the NHL would you expect anything but critics??? Do you really think that Kessel and Towes even come close to Ovechkin and Crosby in terms of pure talent?:D?? I personally don't think so. Pitting Parise and Vaneck against Crosby and Ovech is a one sided battle. I really think that if Kessel and Towes both go in the first five, this a very weak draft this year! Just a thought

Do you really think that Kessel and Towes even come close to Ovechkin and Crosby in terms of pure talent?:D?? I personally don't think so.

I think from watching a lot of NHL hockey this season and Ovechkin and Crosby are game breakers and difference makers, Kessle and Toews aren't ready for the AHL let alone the NHL. Ovechkin and Crosby effect the outcome of the games Kessel and Towes in my opinion aren't at the level yet and may never be of those two hockey players. From what I have seen so far. I would also put Malkin in the same boat as Ovechkin and Crosby. Does that mean our two young players good nope, but I didn't even notice Toews in last nights game, he was a non factor just like the rest of his team mates.

Do you really think that Kessel and Towes even come close to Ovechkin and Crosby in terms of pure talent?:D??

No. Never said it, never implied it. My only point has been that Kessel is damned if does, damned if he doesn't for too many people. If he saved a baby from a burning house some people would complain if he didn't also put out the fire. He's an 18 year-old kid for Parise sake - let him grow, mature learn and play a bit more hockey before we decide if he's the next anything - whether or not it's the next Mike Modano or Brian Lawton.

No. Never said it, never implied it. My only point has been that Kessel is damned if does, damned if he doesn't for too many people. If he saved a baby from a burning house some people would complain if he didn't also put out the fire. He's an 18 year-old kid for Parise sake - let him grow, mature learn and play a bit more hockey before we decide if he's the next anything - whether or not it's the next Mike Modano or Brian Lawton.

Madano or Lawton might be a stretch. But I remember when Brain Lawton came into the league there was a lot of pressure on him. The stars game him #98, not a good thing, his NHL career was ok but nothing special. Its tough when your annointed as the next great hockey players. I am sure Toews feels it a bit too.

Hey slap, so here you are before the games even start. Trying to establish some credibilty for yourself when you show up later to gloat ?

What is your problem? I didn't gloat after the first series and I'm not going to gloat now. Just because I don't dance lightly around doesn't mean I'm a bad guy. Why is it such a big deal if a Gopher fan disagrees with someone here? I haven't called anyone names and I haven't bad mouthed any Sioux players, the coach or the team. I simply said it was wrong to blame the refs for the first series, I don't think the Gophers are the anti-christs of college hockey and I don't think Kessel is as bad as some people say. You'd think a person would be allowed to post here without getting harassed all the time. Admins anyone?

Madano or Lawton might be a stretch.

What I meant was that Kessel could be another Modano and shine, he could be the next Lawton and be a bust in the pros, or he might end up being something in between. I just think it's a bit disengenuous for anyone to fail to recognize he's legitimately an outstanding talent at this stage and is having a very good freshman year as an 18 year-old. That doesn't detract from what players such as Oshie and Toews have done themselves and those are great players in their own right, it simply means he's a great player.

What I meant was that Kessel could be another Modano and shine, he could be the next Lawton and be a bust in the pros, or he might end up being something in between. I just think it's a bit disengenuous for anyone to fail to recognize he's legitimately an outstanding talent at this stage and is having a very good freshman year as an 18 year-old. That doesn't detract from what players such as Oshie and Toews have done themselves and those are great players in their own right, it simply means he's a great player.

Does anyone remember the media circus that Phil made when he choose a school?:D I don't think that Minnesota hyped it up as much as Phil wanted. Phil loves the spot light on him - If he wants the attention, then he gets it - good and bad both! IMO Phil is not going to be the next Modano or Heatly - he along with a huge majority of players from college hocky, expection of that russian kid, are going to fall into a gap of talent in this years NHL draft. Kessel doesn't bring the game that is expected of him. Maybe it would be better if he was a unknown and you didn't expect anything - Ovechkin.

But all things aside he is something if half of this thread is about him!

Does anyone remember the media circus that Phil made when he choose a school?:D I don't think that Minnesota hyped it up as much as Phil wanted. Phil loves the spot light on him - If he wants the attention, then he gets it - good and bad both! IMO Phil is not going to be the next Modano or Heatly - he along with a huge majority of players from college hocky, expection of that russian kid, are going to fall into a gap of talent in this years NHL draft. Kessel doesn't bring the game that is expected of him. Maybe it would be better if he was a unknown and you didn't expect anything - Ovechkin.

But all things aside he is something if half of this thread is about him!

How many Kessel interviews/press conferences have you seen since then? I haven't seen anything but between period spots. Not even a quote in the paper.

How many Kessel interviews/press conferences have you seen since then? I haven't seen anything but between period spots. Not even a quote in the paper.

Yeah, the whole Kessel thing is overblown, just like the Sidney Crosby thing is in the NHL. Right now, Sidney is doing very well, but Ovechkin is doing better and, at this point, is the front runner in the Calder Trophy.