SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. AA

Let'sGoHawks!

Anyone suggesting these kids sit out a game or both because them might be a little tired is assanine. Their first loyalty is playing for their UND Fighting Sioux hockey team. I also doubt the players would want to sit out. Their kids that are in awesome condition if anything playing this weekend makes them better.

So, let's answer a hypothetical question. Can a highly trained athlete ever wear down to the point they are not at peak effectiveness?

Taken farther, can they wear down to the point they are only at 50 % effectiveness.

If we can agree that athletes NEVER wear down to the point of losing their effectiveness, then I agree with your suggestion that it's asinine to think otherwise.

If we can agree that at some point players CAN wear down, then we need to open the discussion of at what point does this happen?

And then, if they do wear down, does it have anything to do with loyalty? Or a lack of energy reserves to follow their mental commands.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good part about this is Minnesota has 3 or 4 key players that were in the JR's too and I think it will even things out. I hope Kessel is really tired after all of the first line play that he got.

I think just Kessel and Frazee, and Frazee should be well rested.

wheeler

Wheeler played, but didn't get near the ice time that Kessel was given. Unfortunately, Oshie, Lee, and Chorney all had pretty close to the same amount of ice time as Kessel for the majority of the tournament, and Oshie probably worked harder than any other player on Team USA every single shift.

So, let's answer a hypothetical question. Can a highly trained athlete ever wear down to the point they are not at peak effectiveness?

Taken farther, can they wear down to the point they are only at 50 % effectiveness.

If we can agree that athletes NEVER wear down to the point of losing their effectiveness, then I agree with your suggestion that it's asinine to think otherwise.

If we can agree that at some point players CAN wear down, then we need to open the discussion of at what point does this happen?

And then, if they do wear down, does it have anything to do with loyalty? Or a lack of energy reserves to follow their mental commands.

I think the tournament really wore out Parise and Murray during their years in WJC, which had a direct correlation to their performance in the WCHA following the tournament. IMO, Parise was pretty tired after the 2003 WJC, and Murray after the 2004 WJC. I don't think it affected Stafford as much in 2004, as he didn't get the same amount of ice time until the gold medal game. Regardless of what we want to say, these guys are going to want to play in both games. They're hockey players and it's what they live for. The only one stopping them would be Hak, insisting/telling them that they rest for a game or two. Unless that were to happen, expect all 4 to play tonight and tomorrow night.

The big difference between the choices Lucia and Hakstol have to make is the fact the Gophers are playing Niagara and the Sioux need WCHA points.

It's easy if I'm Lucia, Kessel doesn't play all weekend. Frazee plays Saturday and Wheeler is a game day decision Saturday.

Hakstol's players played a ton more than Wheeler and the defensemen seemed to have to absorb a lot of hits. So it's a MUCH tougher call for him, but that's why he earns the bucks.

If I'm Hakstol, I sit Oshie tonight with tomorrow a game day decision, try to get a game from each of Lee and Chorney. My impression is that Toews can play. He has one less game on his legs and doesn't seem to have been put through the meat grinder like Oshie, Chorney and Lee.

I hope they play and play well, but this shouldn't be a weekend about the four Freshmen. This should be the weekend that the older, so-called leaders of the team carry them. If Stafford, Zajac, Porter, Spirko and the Captain do not have great weekends this team is IN BIG TROUBLE.

I get worried about burning these 4 guys out. We need to take all these points against AA. Can't afford not to. Can the WJ guys play at a high enough level this weekend? Maybe Hak's right, maybe adrenaline will do it. But will the result be burnout? These guys still have school to stay on top of among all the travel they've dealt with lately, etc. It's got to take a toll.

So do you play them this weekend and next? I agree, in a perfect world you do. But if you are worried about burnout, do you sit them this weekend?

AA is a vulnerable team, but one we sometimes struggle with. MN is a very tough team, and on the road what is the best we can realistically hope for?

Maybe we play all 4 guys tonite, and give them next weekend off, given they are in shape to play this weekend at all. That will give them a vacation to catch up.

With AA, losing any points is nearly unacceptable at this point. Not playing 4 good freshmen, if they are in shape to play, will reduce our chances for all 4 points. To what extent? Hard to say.

At MN, what's the best we can realistically hope for? Can we really hope to sweep MN at Mariucci? I would say a split as the best. So we risk 2 points max by sitting those guys next weekend.

Would you rather lose points to AA or MN?

I don't know the answer to these questions, but right now I might be inclined to wring every bit I can out of the freshmen tonite with the understanding they'll be in GF next weekend.

At MN, what's the best we can realistically hope for? Can we really hope to sweep MN at Mariucci? I would say a split as the best. So we risk 2 points max by sitting those guys next weekend.

I'm convinced the Sioux will win Friday at Mariucci and lose Saturday. I don't care if Hak dresses the GF Pee Wees that is just the way it goes at Mariucci.

I get worried about burning these 4 guys out. We need to take all these points against AA. Can't afford not to. Can the WJ guys play at a high enough level this weekend? Maybe Hak's right, maybe adrenaline will do it. But will the result be burnout? These guys still have school to stay on top of among all the travel they've dealt with lately, etc. It's got to take a toll.

So do you play them this weekend and next? I agree, in a perfect world you do. But if you are worried about burnout, do you sit them this weekend?

AA is a vulnerable team, but one we sometimes struggle with. MN is a very tough team, and on the road what is the best we can realistically hope for?

Maybe we play all 4 guys tonite, and give them next weekend off, given they are in shape to play this weekend at all. That will give them a vacation to catch up.

With AA, losing any points is nearly unacceptable at this point. Not playing 4 good freshmen, if they are in shape to play, will reduce our chances for all 4 points. To what extent? Hard to say.

Would you rather lose points to AA or MN?

I don't know the answer to these questions, but right now I might be inclined to wring every bit I can out of the freshmen tonite with the understanding they'll be in GF next weekend.

There is no way these 4 are sitting out next weekend. It's too big of a series for them to do that. I think Hak would have a better chance of sitting them this weekend, than next weekend (with player input that is). Yes, next weekends task is much more difficult than this weekends, but I don't think you can approach it as, 'We need points and we're more likely to get them against AA than MN.' Oshie was definitely the difference maker in the Saturday night Harvard game, and sitting him at all right now is a very tough decision, as he's probably the hottest Sioux on the ice. I too worry about burnout, and I would personally like to see them play minimal if at all this weekend. I'd say, start them, and play them minimal if we amass a big enough lead. They are all deserving of a break, however, because of the quality of play they bring to the rink each night, they most likely won't receive the break they deserve.

There is no way these 4 are sitting out next weekend. It's too big of a series for them to do that. I think Hak would have a better chance of sitting them this weekend, than next weekend (with player input that is). Yes, next weekends task is much more difficult than this weekends, but I don't think you can approach it as, 'We need points and we're more likely to get them against AA than MN.' Oshie was definitely the difference maker in the Saturday night Harvard game, and sitting him at all right now is a very tough decision, as he's probably the hottest Sioux on the ice. I too worry about burnout, and I would personally like to see them play minimal if at all this weekend. I'd say, start them, and play them minimal if we amass a big enough lead. They are all deserving of a break, however, because of the quality of play they bring to the rink each night, they most likely won't receive the break they deserve.

Hard to argue with what you said.

The good part about this is Minnesota has 3 or 4 key players that were in the JR's too and I think it will even things out. I hope Kessel is really tired after all of the first line play that he got.

Kessel played in the WJC? That's odd, thought the only names I heard was Oshie, Lee, Chorney!!!! :lol:

I'm kiddddding....simma down!

If the rumor about Parise is true, that is very, very unfortunate. Hopefully it will be short term thing.

Lammy has been playing well of late, and I think he deserves playing time too. If Parise is out, then Lammy will get more of a chance to have a few goals scored in support of his efforts. At least we have 2 capable guys.

Am looking forward to hearing more about this.

Rumor has it Parise was hurt in practice yesterday and walski hopped a plane last night to Alaska.

That would be unfortunate if true. I did not see anything about it while surfing the online edition of the Herald today. Could you state how you discovered this, just curious if there is something to this. As many times as Parise has been run into this year I am surprised he has not suffered a few concussions by now.

That would be unfortunate if true. I did not see anything about it while surfing the online edition of the Herald today. Could you state how you discovered this, just curious if there is something to this. As many times as Parise has been run into this year I am surprised he has not suffered a few concussions by now.

or are you suprised he has not given himself a concussion :lol:

I am not saying that they don't get tired, but they won't have played a game in a day in a half and they had a day off in between, I am saying that they can talk about how tired they are next week and I am sure they will be give time off in practice to get back to life. They need to play this weekned. Toews is going to be less tired than the other three. I am predicting that they will probably make a decent contribution this weekend towards the win. If Oshie is hurt I doubt he will play, nor should he.

Thank you! I thought there was a third and couldn't come up with it.

Actually it could be more, apparently Eric Johnson has committed to play for the Dirty Goofers next year, but the TSN guys said they wouldn't be surprise to see Johnson in the NHL, I am hopoing. Also, could you imagine how good the Goofers might have been if Mueller had not gone to MJs and gone the college route (sp)? Scarey.

sioux sweep

5-2..stafford and zajac big games

4-1..oshie (hopefully) and toews big games

and porter and fabian throw in a goal as well :lol:

Hey does anyone know if he is hurt, the USA hockey site said he went to the hospital but his test came back negative. Was that just a precaution? The article didn't say much past that.