SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Greene

Sioux-cia

Matt Greene is a class act. Just a quick story to share with all of you - I was back in GF this summer for a high school reunion and my wife and I wound up at the Red Pepper at about 12:00 on a Friday night. As you can imagine the place was packed with no where to sit. After we had received our order, there was a couple sitting in a both that offered to share the both with us. As I was eating and talking to these two, it occurred to me that I had seen this guy before and it was none other than Matt Greene. I asked him if he was in fact Matt and he sheepishly acknowledged that he was. We talked about hockey, my wife tried to get him to tell her if he would be back and we talked about how my little boy named Jack loved the Sioux and how we travel from Sioux Falls SD for almost every home game. When they were walking out of the Pepper, Matt turned back to us and said "You tell your son that Matt Green says hello". He made one little kid really happy.

In addition to that, throughout the entire conversation, you would never have expected that this guy was on the verge of signing a pro contract (a week later he signed) as he was a down to earth, really nice guy.

Best of luck to Matt on his first NHL game!!!

I have heard similar stories about Matt. Some other past and present players that I have run into at various places in town were also very cordial. I ran into Mike Commodore at the Ralph last year when I was leaving a game he was really cool. Current players I've run into Toews, Fabian, Finley, Oshie, Jpar to name a few they have always been good about talking for a few minutes, or signing an autograph for someone. That speaks volumes about the Sioux program. There are others I'm sure I left off the list, but as a rule most of these guys are always quite cordial to fans.

Hockey players are down to Earth people.

I remember hearing this story, but I don't remember where:

Somebody was giving a tour of Staples Center in LA. They were in the underground parking area. The people on the tour pointed to the bling-ed out Porsches and Ferraris and other high-end cars and asked who they belonged to. The guide told them that's where the LA Laker players park.

The people on the tour then pointed to another area full of Ford and Chevy pickup trucks and more common sedans. The folks on the tour voiced the assumption that that was were Staples Center staff parked. The tour guide told them, "No, that's where the LA Kings players park."

In my experience, the majority of Sioux players have always been very good the general public and fans in the GF area (I doubt it's any different outside of GF). I think it's something the coaches really instill in the players when they come to UND. They represent UND all the time, and it speaks volumes for our program. Ryan Hale, Ryan Bayda and Kevin Spiewak all read to 4th and 5th graders at my school during one of my field experiences in EGF during Read-Across-America day. I've drank beer with Mike Commodore, Lee Goren, and Jeff Panzer, and I've eaten Subway with Travis Roche. Everyone of them was a class act, and treated everyone with a fair amount of respect. I'm looking forward to watching Matt tonight, and hope he gets a fair amount of ice time, though I'm sure it will be somewhat limited, but that's okay, it's a start in his NHL career.

Was hoping to see Greene in the lineup tonight, but Edmonton decided to wait on playing him. Hopefully he'll get the opportunity to get to play next week when Edmonton plays the Devils.

Hmm....Matt Greene checking Parise? That could be an interesting game.