SiouxSports.com Forum

WJHC Time again

Sioux_Hab-it

But the fact remains that a UND did not and has not broken the neck of another player on a dirty play. The fact is Paukovich has and now he is being rewarded for it. I think this is disgusting.

The only good thing is our three players should be safe since they are on the same team as him. I will pray for Toews if he makes the Canadian team.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle was asked directly by one of the reporters about Paukovich/Bina incident and whether that would have a negative effect on the team, and Kyle said that the incident "did not play a role in his selection" ,a nd that Paukovich is a "class guy" that "wants to do what it takes to help us win".

In my books two different types of physical assault do not equate to a "class guy" but then I guess both you and Kyle have a different outlook on life than I do. :D

Edited by Sioux_Hab-it

I know this may be hard to understand for some UND fans (and rightly so) but there was a reason that Paukovich was named to Team USA. After listening to the USA Hockey WJC conference call, it's pretty clear why Pauvovich was chosen, and it had nothing at all to do with his offensive production (or lack thereof)...

In these short tournaments, teams need a mix of guys who can be slotted into defined roles, rather than an all-star team of players with the most stats. Kyle said plans to use Paukovich as a physical presence on the small ice surface in Canada, probably up against large players from the other team, and that "Paukovich's name always comes up when you are talking about the most physical players in college hockey."

The thing that amazes me about this pick is that they say they pick Paukovich for his physical presence but with big forwards like Wheeler, Skille, Mueller, Ryan already on the team my question is how many big physical forwards do you need. I would say that four highly skilled big guys like the ones listed above is enough and there is no need to add such a hack like Paukovich.

I agree with IRanger. Walt Kyle's theory is sound. It is true you need a physical presence and/or a guy who can check and shut down the opponent. You need this type of player on any team regardless of whether it is a short tourney or a long season.

The question is, "Why Paukovich?" I just don't see him as being this great physical presence or a grea defensive forward. USA Hockey seems to be somewhat mesmerized just because of his size.

I agree with IRanger. Walt Kyle's theory is sound. It is true you need a physical presence and/or a guy who can check and shut down the opponent.

I would agree. One of my favorite players to ever skate for Canada at World Juniors was a physical forward by the name of Dwayne Hay, who played on the '97 gold medal team. He was nothing more than a 20-goal scorer in junior, at best, but he was singled out to be a physical presence and at World Juniors he was good for at least one momentum-changing hit per game. He knew his role and accepted it and there were several others like him on that team.

While the '97 team had top scorers like Joe Thornton, Peter Schaefer, Daniel Briere and Christian Dube, it also had a good mix of grinders like Hay, Trent Whitfield, Brad Larsen and Trevor Litkowski. In fact, I believe Larsen was the captain of that star-studded team.

That works fine on smaller ice, but by contrast, Wayne Gretzky & Co. realized that it would never work so well on Olympic ice. When Canada fared poorly at the '98 Olympics, they did so with grinders like Rob Zamuner, Keith Primeau and Shayne Corson on the roster.

When the Salt Lake Olympics rolled around, Gretzky put together a team of the best skaters and skill players, period. Of course, you still have to be careful to choose the correct skill players, guys who will still accept lesser roles, perhaps as penalty killers or late-game checkers.

That works fine on smaller ice, but by contrast, Wayne Gretzky & Co. realized that it would never work so well on Olympic ice. When Canada fared poorly at the '98 Olympics, they did so with grinders like Rob Zamuner, Keith Primeau and Shayne Corson on the roster.

When the Salt Lake Olympics rolled around, Gretzky put together a team of the best skaters and skill players, period. Of course, you still have to be careful to choose the correct skill players, guys who will still accept lesser roles, perhaps as penalty killers or late-game checkers.

Ya but that gretzky guy is biased agianst ncaa players he only took 5 players on that team. what, was he trying to win gold, thats kind of selfish dont you think he should only take ncaa players.

Ya but that gretzky guy is biased agianst ncaa players he only took 5 players on that team. what, was he trying to win gold, thats kind of selfish dont you think he should only take ncaa players.

Like the Olympic teams Canada will only lose in the WJC if their goalie cracks. As great as the Parise led WJC champs were, I'm sure Fleury would love to have both of O'Sullivans goals to do over.

Like the Olympic teams Canada will only lose in the WJC if their goalie cracks. As great as the Parise led WJC champs were, I'm sure Fleury would love to have both of O'Sullivans goals to do over.

I wish I was that optimistic. Canada is awfully young this year, though you are right about Fleury, who actually cost us two gold medals in my opinion.

Along those lines, as stacked as the U.S. is up front, and, to a lesser extent, on the blueline, Schneider/Frazee will be a giant X factor in how far that team goes.

Edited by Canuck

If I were in charge of Canadian customs, I wouldn't issue Paukovich an entry visa.

Zach Jones can't hold his own in the WCHA, he will not be a top NHL prospect. Sorry, kid.

WJC is the best talent in the world. I hope our guys really shine. Toews especially, he is the only undrafted SIoux in th tourney.

I wish I was that optimistic. Canada is awfully young this year, though you are right about Fleury, who actually cost us two gold medals in my opinion.

Along those lines, as stacked as the U.S. is up front, and, to a lesser extent, on the blueline, Schneider/Frazee will be a giant X factor in how far that team goes.

The Russians will be a challenge again too as they have announced that Malkin will play for them. He is dominating the Russian Pro league right now and has to the early favorite for tourney MVP.