SiouxSports.com Forum

WJHC Time again

Sioux_Hab-it

If a player such as Paukovich makes this squad one has to question the depth of the team. If depth is an issue (as well as goaltending as far as I am concerned) then how can Team USA be considered a "heavy" favorite?

Do decscirbe them as a "heavy" favorite is totally absurd.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a player such as Paukovich makes this squad one has to question the depth of the team. If depth is an issue (as well as goaltending as far as I am concerned) then how can Team USA be considered a "heavy" favorite?

Do decscirbe them as a "heavy" favorite is totally absurd.

Punkovich is a hack and a disgrace, also, we are going to have issues with Chorney and Lee gone when we play Harvard. I suppose we are going to be missing Toews too. I can't imagine how bad we are going to be with Foyt and Marvin back on the blue line. Talk about pylons. Oh well I suppose we are still more talented then the crimson.

Punkovich is a hack and a disgrace, also, we are going to have issues with Chorney and Lee gone when we play Harvard. I suppose we are going to be missing Toews too. I can't imagine how bad we are going to be with Foyt and Marvin back on the blue line. Talk about pylons. Oh well I suppose we are still more talented then the crimson.

Don't forget Alexander. Marvin will do fine, I think. The Sioux will be missing some key players, but I have to believe we're still the better team.

Paukovich will be the Brian Lee of last year. Riding the pine the majority I'm sure.

If alternates haven't been named, I'd name Geoff as an alternate.

Like I said in the last thread, there are always head scratchers. DU benefitted this year like we did last year.

And sagard- Team Canada's bias against NCAA players is alive and well, but age is what will keep Toews off the list. The hype and draft projections (and a good tryout camp performance) got him to the final tryouts. He won't make the team.

Yeah, I'm negative. But hey. 2006 and 2007 WJC Team Canada teams will feature Toews.

Here we go again ;)

Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

If 5 Canadian NCAA players being invited is biased what would it take to dispell that short of an all NCAA team. :0 Anyhow, in another follow up article TSN believes that Toews depite his young age (and his NCAA tatoo) has a legitimate shot at making the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=145830

Edited by Sioux_Hab-it

And sagard- Team Canada's bias against NCAA players is alive and well, but age is what will keep Toews off the list. The hype and draft projections (and a good tryout camp performance) got him to the final tryouts. He won't make the team.

I'd bet a beer he makes it. ;)

Here we go again ;)

Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

I hope you realize I was doing it for fun. We've had plenty of exchanges and if a projected top five pick who burned the MJ team who picked 1st doesn't make the team we will have to revisit it. Again. :0

I hope you realize I was doing it for fun. We've had plenty of exchanges and if a projected top five pick who burned the MJ team who picked 1st doesn't make the team we will have to revisit it. Again. :)

Nah. I'll just sing "Blame Canada" at the top of my lungs. :0

People ripped Parise (mostly fans of other teams) when he talked about how winning the WJC was a bigger deal to him than winning the NCAA's. You can see why with Toews. This is a huge stage, and apparently a huge deal to those in hockey circles. People like me are insulated from this down here in the States. Good luck to Toews, I hope his dream comes true. One would think if not this year, next year for sure.

It all comes down to team chemistry. You can have all the talent in the world, but if they don't blend well together, they won't win this tournament. I do think the U.S. has the talent to do it, but if they can't play as a team, they won't even get to the medal round. How far does team chemistry get you? Look back to the '80 U.S. Olympic team, filled with nobody's. In my eyes, winning this tournament is bigger than a NCAA championship. You represent your country in an international tournament. What would be more rewarding than walking away with the gold? I've always admired that Blais and now Hak is willing to give up players so they can play in this tournment. Where it will definitely hurt the Sioux not to have these players in the lineup, giving them this opportunity is just the best thing to do as a coach and a person.

From what I gathered it isn't talent that will keep Toews off the team. It's that there are enough returnees and qualified older players ahead of Toews that will keep him off the team. It's an age thing.

And I agree with siouxnami about Jones. I think, if he is drafted, the highest he could possibly be taken is the 6th round.

Well you heard wrong because Cam Barker, a defenseman, is Team Canada's only returnee.

Ok ok...

The bias exists only to satisfy me in case Toews doesn't make it and to explain why Murray had to become a US citizen to participate in the WJCs and why Zajac didn't make the team. ;)

We'll see what happens to those 5 invitees.

To explain why Murray had to become a US citzen to participate is quite simple. He had to tryout to make the Canadian team and instead of doing that he decided to take a gauranteed spot on the USA team. And why Zajac didn't make the world junior team was because the Canadian team last year was a allstar team and might go down as one of the best Canadian jr teams ever, so not sure where the bias for not taking Zajac comes from. And for the sake of argument do you watch alot of Canadian Major Junior hockey to know the skill level of players taking ahead of these players.

To explain why Murray had to become a US citzen to participate is quite simple. He had to tryout to make the Canadian team and instead of doing that he decided to take a gauranteed spot on the USA team. And why Zajac didn't make the world junior team was because the Canadian team last year was a allstar team and might go down as one of the best Canadian jr teams ever, so not sure where the bias for not taking Zajac comes from. And for the sake of argument do you watch alot of Canadian Major Junior hockey to know the skill level of players taking ahead of these players.

I'm sure Murray's happy with his gold medal.

I know this may be hard to understand for some UND fans (and rightly so) but there was a reason that Paukovich was named to Team USA. After listening to the USA Hockey WJC conference call, it's pretty clear why Pauvovich was chosen, and it had nothing at all to do with his offensive production (or lack thereof)...

In these short tournaments, teams need a mix of guys who can be slotted into defined roles, rather than an all-star team of players with the most stats. Kyle said plans to use Paukovich as a physical presence on the small ice surface in Canada, probably up against large players from the other team, and that "Paukovich's name always comes up when you are talking about the most physical players in college hockey."

Kyle was asked directly by one of the reporters about Paukovich/Bina incident and whether that would have a negative effect on the team, and Kyle said that the incident "did not play a role in his selection" ,a nd that Paukovich is a "class guy" that "wants to do what it takes to help us win".

If the tourney were in Europe, I doubt he'd have been selected, but it makes perfect sense with the tourney in Canada this year. Paukovich is a guy who can create space for more skilled US players to operate, and his skating has improved this year, as well. He also can play a crease role or a defensive center role a la Joel Otto.

I know this may be hard to understand for some UND fans (and rightly so) but there was a reason that Paukovich was named to Team USA. After listening to the USA Hockey WJC conference call, it's pretty clear why Pauvovich was chosen, and it had nothing at all to do with his offensive production (or lack thereof)...

In these short tournaments, teams need a mix of guys who can be slotted into defined roles, rather than an all-star team of players with the most stats. Kyle said plans to use Paukovich as a physical presence on the small ice surface in Canada, probably up against large players from the other team, and that "Paukovich's name always comes up when you are talking about the most physical players in college hockey."

Kyle was asked directly by one of the reporters about Paukovich/Bina incident and whether that would have a negative effect on the team, and Kyle said that the incident "did not play a role in his selection" ,a nd that Paukovich is a "class guy" that "wants to do what it takes to help us win".

If the tourney were in Europe, I doubt he'd have been selected, but it makes perfect sense with the tourney in Canada this year. Paukovich is a guy who can create space for more skilled US players to operate, and his skating has improved this year, as well. He also can play a crease role or a defensive center role a la Joel Otto.

All good points. I agree, but on this site Paukovich will always be garbage. I do think that he is a good pick for the team though. When you do what he did that hatred is deserved.

All good points. I agree, but on this site Paukovich will always be garbage. I do think that he is a good pick for the team though. When you do what he did that hatred is deserved.

I totally understand. Had Paukovich been a UND player and broken the neck of a Denver player, I'm sure his name would be garbage/hated on a Denver message board, too.

The only reason I posted this here is that there seemed to be doubts from a pure hockey standpoint as to why he was selected - that's all. Many of you who know my posts on USCHO know that I am not the kind of poster who trolls or looks to piss off anyone...

I totally understand. Had Paukovich been a UND player and broken the neck of a Denver player, I'm sure his name would be garbage/hated on a Denver message board, too.

The only reason I posted this here is that there seemed to be doubts from a pure hockey standpoint as to why he was selected - that's all. Many of you who know my posts on USCHO know that I am not the kind of poster who trolls or looks to piss off anyone...

does DU have a fan site or message board? have never seen one besides that du blog..