SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 schedule

dakotadan

That is a myth, Carson Newman lost to NDSU last year and made the playoffs. Winona lost to SDSU last year and still made the playoffs, they even hosted a game. NDSU gave UND a sweet deal a few years ago but of course UND was too worried about not helping NDSU through their transtion so they declined, and that is why the two schools aren't playing.

What sweet deal are you talking about? Winona is a good team. Look at their record. They are very tough team. If UND went D1 they would beat a lot of schools.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go here and scroll down to page 13. Call it a myth if you will, but the facts are the facts. Did not wanting to help out NDSU during their transition play a role? I'm sure it did. Had the situation been reversed, would NDSU have gone out of their way to help UND? I highly doubt it.

I see that but I think NDSU isn't really considered to be part of a conference so I wonder what that means. I just don't think the NCAA would lump GWFC and Big South schools in with the Ivy, SWAC, and Non-Scholarship schools. If playing NDSU would hurt UND so much Bunning would have never called Taylor asking to start the rivarly back up again.

What sweet deal are you talking about? Winona is a good team. Look at their record. They are very tough team. If UND went D1 they would beat a lot of schools.

4 years two home games and two games in Fargo, that is about a good a deal a D2 will ever get from a IAA school like NDSU. I know Winona is a good D2 team but they would get lit up by most of the top 25 IAA's. UND could do well but how well I just don't know, they would probably be a ranked 30-40 in IAA. Even if UND won't play NDSU I would like to see UND go up against a top IAA like Montana or UNH. I think it would give UND an idea of how good IAA really is and what they need to do if they ever decide to move up.

I beleive UND will Play NDSU in the future even if we stay D2...But the way the rules are currently written Until, NDSU becomes a Quailfing Div1aa Institution...We get screwed by Playing Them win or lose...When they Become Quailiers I believe we will Play...Its the NCAA no one Else that Makes the Rules on Criteria...

Edited by coachdags

With last year's adjustments to SSI, and NDSU counting as being part of D2+ (despite not being from an autoqualifying conference) it no longer hurts our strength of schedule to play them. Therefore, Buning is interested in restarting the rivalry, but the NDSU coaches are still bitter about how UND didn't schedule them when NDSU desperately needed the games but it DID hurt UND to play I-AA teams, so now they refuse to schedule UND.

So, now NDSU fans can run around claiming their team is better than UND and speculating how lowly we'd be ranked in I-AA, despite us owning them on the football field for the last 12 years, because they never have to prove it on the field.

Back on topic -- a I-AA game would be a great idea, particularly as UND continues to study their options. NDSU may not be willing, but there are plenty of higher ranked I-AA teams who would pay a lot more for a "body bag" game against a top-tier D-II team.

Jim: do you know if the same applys to Basketball?

Sorry, don't know anything about basketball selection. My football info was true as of last year when I was putting together football playoff selection calculators (Bob confirmed via a playoff selection committee member) so I assumed it continued to be true this year -- obviously there's a chance it's not, since they've changed the football criteria every year ;)

I beleive UND will Play NDSU in the future even if we stay D2...But the way the rules are currently written Until, NDSU becomes a Quailfing Div1aa Institution...We get screwed by Playing Them win or lose...When they Become Quailiers I believe we will Play...Its the NCAA no one Else that Makes the Rules on Criteria...

Why would NDSU fans run around bragging that they're better than you guys? Is there really that much difference in levels?

Why would NDSU fans run around bragging that they're better than you guys? Is there really that much difference in levels?

No way to know without meeting them on the field. We've owned them the past 12+ years, but as you said, they have added a lot of scholarships, so they'd probably have the short-term edge. As you also pointed out, though, a D-II NDSU knocked off Montana at Montana with an NDSU team that we defeated the same year... that's why they play the games.

I have a suspicion that an undercover Bison fan is amongst us... ;)

Really? I am new to this board (and NDSU's) and am also new to D2. I am giving you guys props--why would you think I'm a bison fan? I actually just got a job in Fargo after moving from Fayette, IA after graduating. I am a D2 fan who happens to be new to the NCC/NSIC and also curious about the NDSU bison. Geez.

From a Bison fans' persepctive, there are definitely some pro's and con's about another Bison Sioux game in the near future. For starters, if the Bison were to win, would'nt there be some sort of an asterick linked to the nickel because of the amount of scholarships that NDSU has ? It wouldn't be the same feeling one would get if we had beaten them on a level playing field. I can also say that when these 2 teams play, you can throw out records, scholarships, D2 or D1-AA, it doesn't matter, anything can happen on that field. And how much would that suck for us Bison fans, if or when you beat us ? It's almost a lose lose situation for the Bison isn't it ?

Really? I am new to this board (and NDSU's) and am also new to D2. I am giving you guys props--why would you think I'm a bison fan? I actually just got a job in Fargo after moving from Fayette, IA after graduating. I am a D2 fan who happens to be new to the NCC/NSIC and also curious about the NDSU bison. Geez.

Why?

1) Fayette, IA - Upper Iowa University

Bison fans continually use Upper Iowa University, University of Mary (Bismarck, ND) and the University of Minnesota - Crookston (among others) to illustrate the NEW and UNIMPROVED state of DII football.

2) "Hey--new to the board. Why would you think that UND football is regressing? You guys have been kicking ass for quite a few years now. I know NDSU is in IAA now but besides the former rivalry why do you guys care? Just an outside opinion. You guys could probly compete in the top 10--even top 5 of IAA tomorrow. What's the talk of moving up with your new AD?

A UND fan and member of this board (and Bisonville) had earlier this year stated UND could beat most DI-AA teams including the DI-AA elite...given UND's early departure from the playoffs it has become a common sarcastic reply of the Bison faithful.

3) "Why don't UND & NDSU just play each other to satisfy mutual curiosities? Just play. Find out who's best."

Or as the Bison faithful say..."Step up or shut up".

4) "I know how regional playoff implications go but has UND ententertained the thought of playing a I'AA team? I know UMD played Northern Iowa this year and it didn't seem to hurt their playoff chances. Why won't NDSU schedule you guys? Are they afraid or too stuck up? I think you could give them a good game and even win."

Another NDSU reply...see FargoBison's statement for evidence.

"That is a myth, Carson Newman lost to NDSU last year and made the playoffs. Winona lost to SDSU last year and still made the playoffs, they even hosted a game."

5) "I think that "bodybag" games might be a bit extreme. NDSU upset Montana in Mizzo two years ago with a predominantly DII team. Why can't UND do the same to somebody? I have a friend who is on the inside with NDSU football and he says that this team is a lot different than the Bison of two years ago. New coaching, more scholarships, expanded recruiting, new weight room, team nutritionist, sports psychologists, etc. It seems that IAA is indeed a bigger deal than D2. At least that is how NDSU seems to be treating it. Why can't UND do the same?? I think you're good enough."

Praise for the Bison...there is nothing wrong with this...if you are a Bison fan.

6) In 11 posts or less you managed to irritate jimdahl...he runs this place.

7) I never said it was you...

Your posts sound like a Bison fan trying to bait a UND fan. :glare:

I rest my case...if I am wrong...I apologize. :glare:

As far as the SOS index goes for playoffs, which is based on a 1-14 point scale with 14 being the most you can get, here is what UND would get for playing the Bison:

If they beat the Bison, they would get 4 points

If they lost to the Bison, they would get 1 point (the lowest possible) :glare:

Duluth got 9 points for losing to Northern Iowa (automatic qualifying conference).

UND got 14 points (most possible) for beating Winona State. HUGE WIN.

UND got 13 points for the win over West Chester.

Hard to believe that Lennon doesn't want to play NDSU. :huh:

Any questions?

As far as the SOS index goes for playoffs, which is based on a 1-14 point scale with 14 being the most you can get, here is what UND would get for playing the Bison:

If they beat the Bison, they would get 4 points

If they lost to the Bison, they would get 1 point (the lowest possible) :glare:

Duluth got 9 points for losing to Northern Iowa (automatic qualifying conference).

UND got 14 points (most possible) for beating Winona State. HUGE WIN.

UND got 13 points for the win over West Chester.

Hard to believe that Lennon doesn't want to play NDSU. :huh:

Any questions?

UND would get as many points for playing NDSU as they would for playing UNI.

See jimdahl and RD17's posts