SiouxSports.com Forum

The State of Sioux Football

bincitysioux

I know the Massey Ratings don't mean much to most people, myself included. But in the latest Massey Rating, UND is the third highest rated DII team (GVSU, Saginaw) in the ranking. Just to illustrate the strength of the Northwest Region, the Top 5 teams are all from the NW.

Also, UND is rated higher than 97 of the 120 I-AA football programs. Unfortunately, NDSU is ahead of UND by 9 spots. ???

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on which poll you "believe"...

UND @ 161 - Wolfe's College Football

GVSU @ 121 (Top D-II)

SVSU @ 132

UND @ 161 - (7th Overall D-II)

UNO @ 174

USD @ 180

UMD @ 197

Hamptom @ 109 (Top DI-AA)

UW-Whitewater @ 188 (Top DIII)

St Francis (IN) @ 241 (Top NAIA)

Way at the bottom...it also shows the NCC to be the TOP-RATED DII conference.

The only DII polls that matter are the regionals and next-years pre-season number one.

Depends on which poll you "believe"...

UND @ 161 - Wolfe's College Football

GVSU @ 121 (Top D-II)

SVSU @ 132

UND @ 161 - (7th Overall D-II)

UNO @ 174

USD @ 180

UMD @ 197

Hamptom @ 109 (Top DI-AA)

UW-Whitewater @ 188 (Top DIII)

St Francis (IN) @ 241 (Top NAIA)

Way at the bottom...it also shows the NCC to be the TOP-RATED DII conference.

The only DII polls that matter are the regionals and next-years pre-season number one.

No NCC teams in the DII regional finals? Doesn't that mean that there were eight teams still playing?

There was a short article on UND football in the Herald today (not available online), and listed as "newcomers to watch" for next season were offensive lineman Kyle Bondy, running back Ryan Chappell, receivers Brady Trenbeath, Kenley Wahlin and Nate Rambeck, tight end Marcus Tibesar, defensive linemen Chris Nelessen and Nate Wayne, linebackers Bobby Stroup and Andy Miller, and kicker Brandon Hellevang.

I'm not surprised by that, but don't waste your time trying to convince the rubes over at Bisonville. The way they talk you'd think the worst D-1AA team could kick the snot out of the best D2 team. ;)

If you believe this, you probably believe hockey is the favorite sport in ND. :D

The non-scholarship I-AA's have a tough time competing with DIII teams.

Will Brandon Strouth be given a medical hardship this year? I don't remember the rules and regs the good ole NC$$ has regarding this issue.

I think he should get a hardship. The rule is that the injury must have occurred prior to the student-athlete playing in more than 20% of scheduled games in that season. Since the West Chester game was the second of 11 scheduled games, I don't think there should be a big problem.

I think he should get a hardship. The rule is that the injury must have occurred prior to the student-athlete playing in more than 20% of scheduled games in that season. Since the West Chester game was the second of 11 scheduled games, I don't think there should be a big problem.

I wonder if he would even want an extra year?

Just be sure that everybody gets the paperwork in early, it shouldn't be no problem. This year it was discovered that at Saginaw Valley, they forgot to file the paperwork to get a Medical Redshirt for one of their WR's this year. It wasn't discovered until after their first game of the season with Northwood. They had to hold him out of another game or two, until they could get everything straiten out.

- I remember from the lost thread there was some I-AA talk. There is no other current D2 football program in the country (including Grand Valley, North Alabama, Pitt State, etc.) in a better position to succeed at the D1 level. The reason I say this (other than the obvious like facilities, tradition, etc.) is the way UND recruits. You look at any of the other elite D2 programs-- including some in the NCC-- and they are making a living off of partial qualifiers and JUCO transfers that aren

I'm not going to try to recreate my entire post from the lost thread. I will encourage anyone interested in the history of UND football to visit this site. Pay particular attention to the 1970s (the glory days of UND football in my opinion). Then ask -- in the big picture -- is the UND football program progressing or regressing? I submit UND is regressing based on the company in which it keeps. UND is a flagship university with a storied history and proud tradition and deserves to be playing similar schools...even if it means losing a couple more games per year.

Edited by mksioux

I'm not going to try to recreate my entire post from the lost thread. I will encourage anyone interested in the history of UND football to visit this site. Pay particular attention to the 1970s (the glory days of UND football in my opinion). Then ask -- in the big picture -- is the UND football program progressing or regressing? I submit UND is regressing based on the company in which it keeps. UND is a flagship university with a storied history and proud tradition and deserves to be playing similar schools...even if it means losing a couple more games per year.

I see your point about the company you keep being a reflection on the program. But I would wholeheartedly disagree that the program is regressing. Despite this season's disappointment, the Dale Lennon era of Sioux football has been incredibly successful. And with Lennon signed on for another five years, I think more great things are in the future for this program whether it be at the D2 or I-AA level.

Just be sure that everybody gets the paperwork in early, it shouldn't be no problem. This year it was discovered that at Saginaw Valley, they forgot to file the paperwork to get a Medical Redshirt for one of their WR's this year. It wasn't discovered until after their first game of the season with Northwood. They had to hold him out of another game or two, until they could get everything straiten out.

Actually, it wasn't an issue of SVSU not having his hardship paperwork in on time. What happened is that they failed to advise him that he couldn't be a fulltime student last spring semester because of the 10 semester rule in D2 (he was a sixth year player this year). I believe he played the first two games before the mistake was found and IMO, they were extremely fortunate that the NCAA didn't make them forfeit those two games.

To top it off, when the NCAA did declare him eligible (after he'd sat out three games waiting for the ruling), he dislocated his hip in one of his first games back and was lost for the year (again). He broke his leg in the first quarter of the first game in 2004 and I bet he is now wishing he would have called it a career at that point.

RD17 I think your assessment of the trials and tribs this year are pretty accurate. The loss of Braegelman AND Hoffelt put UND in the position of having to move their best run blocker out on the left edge thus making the offensive scheme change a bit. Kuper did a good job at left tackle, but I know he was never really comfortable and it isn't his natural position. The loss of Strouth took away the "lightning and thunder" run game that they had last year with Roland and Strouth. And as well as Grossman, Dressler, Groeshle and company played, we didnt have the 6'2" deep threat that we had with Lueck a couple of years back and I think you need someone like that to throw the fade route to and let them get up and take the ball. Put all of this together and you end up with very few sustained drives against the good teams when we needed them which forced the Defense to be on the field way too long in a lot of instances.

This group of seniors should be very proud of their efforts this year and their career's as a whole. Many of these guys were starters or major contributor's as RS Sophomores and some even earlier. I know they are even more disappointed with the way the season ended than any of us spectators could ever be. We should be cognizant of this fact as we second guess the coaches, criticize the players and express our dismay over the season that "should have been" and congratulate these fine young men for their contributions to a program that is recognized nationally as one of the finest football programs at any level.

I see your point about the company you keep being a reflection on the program. But I would wholeheartedly disagree that the program is regressing. Despite this season's disappointment, the Dale Lennon era of Sioux football has been incredibly successful. And with Lennon signed on for another five years, I think more great things are in the future for this program whether it be at the D2 or I-AA level.

I guess whether the program is progressing or regressing is subjective and, in my opinion, depends on whether you are primarily considering wins/losses or the level of competition. Also, how far you look back to determine the measuring stick.

I concede that from a wins/losses perspective, you'd have to be delusional to think the program is regressing. When I say the program is regressing, I mean no disrespect to coach Lennon and the players, whom I think are classy and have done a great job. The problem with UND football is beyond the control of the coaches or players. Winning a lot of games against schools we shouldn't even be playing against is not a good measuring stick of where the program is at and certainly doesn't excite nor interest the casual fan. Even making the playoffs does not excite the casual fan anymore.

From the standpoint of competition, it's certainly defensible to say UND is regressing. In my opinion, UND football progressed from its inception in the late 1800s all the way through the 1970s (when it hit its peak in my opinion). Since then, many schools regionally and nationally have moved up and on while UND has stood still. Which, in my opinion, is the same thing as regression.

I guess whether the program is progressing or regressing is subjective and, in my opinion, depends on whether you are primarily considering wins/losses or the level of competition. Also, how far you look back to determine the measuring stick.

I concede that from a wins/losses perspective, you'd have to be delusional to think the program is regressing. When I say the program is regressing, I mean no disrespect to coach Lennon and the players, whom I think are classy and have done a great job. The problem with UND football is beyond the control of the coaches or players. Winning a lot of games against schools we shouldn't even be playing against is not a good measuring stick of where the program is at and certainly doesn't excite nor interest the casual fan. Even making the playoffs does not excite the casual fan anymore.

From the standpoint of competition, it's certainly defensible to say UND is regressing. In my opinion, UND football progressed from its inception in the late 1800s all the way through the 1970s (when it hit its peak in my opinion). Since then, many schools regionally and nationally have moved up and on while UND has stood still. Which, in my opinion, is the same thing as regression.

Hey--new to the board. Why would you think that UND football is regressing? You guys have been kicking ass for quite a few years now. I know NDSU is in IAA now but besides the former rivalry why do you guys care? Just an outside opinion. You guys could probly compete in the top 10--even top 5 of IAA tomorrow. What's the talk of moving up with your new AD?

My past comments were lost when the board went down. I'll try to summarize:

1. Move from a hyper-conservative to more balanced or moderately aggressive offensive scheme. If I'm going to watch a loss on the road due to three turnovers can they at least be downfield interceptions and not fumbles in the backfield.

1a. Shake things up. I can sit in the stands and call our offense based on down and distance and game situation. If I'm doing it so is Pat B. and Bubba. Try something other than run over right guard on 2nd and 7. (Look at tape. That's more than half the time I bet.)

1b. Shake things up some more. Four wide with Dressler and Chappell in the slots next year could be scary. Running even hints of wing-T motion from that set-up (with former backs in the slots remember) would be miserable to defend.

1c. Shake things up some more again. You'll need more points because the defense won't have what it had this year (no disrespect intended to the returners).

2. Use the weapons. A weapon not used is not a weapon. Get the ball to the people who can do the most damage. The top of that list is Weston Dressler. Sure, he's not big. So what. He could get hurt walking to class.

3. Big receivers (Ahlers, Lueck, Stattleman) played a huge part of Bowenkamp's big year. The big receivers need to become our big receivers (which makes Dressler and Chappell even more effective).

But none of those matter unless:

Get solid line play out of both sides of the ball. Nothing else can work if you don't control the lines.

Edited by The Sicatoka

My past comments were lost when the board went down. I'll try to summarize:

1. Move from a hyper-conservative to more balanced or moderately aggressive offensive scheme. If I'm going to watch a loss on the road due to three turnovers can they at least be downfield interceptions and not fumbles in the backfield.

1a. Shake things up. I can sit in the stands and call our offense based on down and distance and game situation. If I'm doing it so is Pat B. and Bubba. Try something other than run over right guard on 2nd and 7. (Look at tape. That's more than half the time I bet.)

1b. Shake things up some more. Four wide with Dressler and Chappell in the slots next year could be scary. Running even hints of wing-T motion from that set-up (with former backs in the slots remember) would be miserable to defend.

1c. Shake things up some more again. You'll need more points because the defense won't have what it had this year (no disrespect intended to the returners).

2. Use the weapons. A weapon not used is not a weapon. Get the ball to the people who can do the most damage. The top of that list is Weston Dressler. Sure, he's not big. So what. He could get hurt walking to class.

3. Big receivers (Ahlers, Lueck, Stattleman) played a huge part of Bowenkamp's big year. The big receivers need to become our big receivers (which makes Dressler and Chappell even more effective).

But none of those matter unless:

Get solid line play out of both sides of the ball. Nothing else can work if you don't control the lines.

Good points, Sicatoka. I'm excited about the big-play potential next year with Manke playing full time (hopefully), getting Strouth's speed back, adding the speed of Chappell, and the plethora of good young receivers such as Caufield, Trenbeath, Nicholas, Wahlin and Rambeck, not to mention Mr. Dressler, Groeschl, Loegering and Tatom. There will be a lot of competition for playing time amongst all those receivers. Wahlin is a very athletic 6'3" and can be a big weapon on jump balls and fades. I'm not sure what to expect with the offensive line, but a healthy Braegelmann (hopefully) and Troen are a pair of very good sophomores to build around. Kusler is solid, and between Bauer, Bronson and some of the younger guys, I'm hopeful we can put together a solid group.

Good points, Sicatoka. I'm excited about the big-play potential next year with Manke playing full time (hopefully), getting Strouth's speed back, adding the speed of Chappell, and the plethora of good young receivers such as Caufield, Trenbeath, Nicholas, Wahlin and Rambeck, not to mention Mr. Dressler, Groeschl, Loegering and Tatom. There will be a lot of competition for playing time amongst all those receivers. Wahlin is a very athletic 6'3" and can be a big weapon on jump balls and fades. I'm not sure what to expect with the offensive line, but a healthy Braegelmann (hopefully) and Troen are a pair of very good sophomores to build around. Kusler is solid, and between Bauer, Bronson and some of the younger guys, I'm hopeful we can put together a solid group.

Will the Sioux reload or rebuild next year? Can we expect another title run?