SiouxSports.com Forum

Dumb Hockey Questions

bincitysioux

I've been a casual college hockey fan since my fresman year at UND in 1996, but I've become a rabid hockey fan (especially college) in the last two years. I hate to have to ask this, but how is the +/- computed? It seems to be a pretty important stat. Also, how does the draft work, regarding older players? Will players like Jordan Parise and Rastislav Spirko ever be drafted, or will they have to take the free-agent route to continue their careers in the pros?

I've been a casual college hockey fan since my fresman year at UND in 1996, but I've become a rabid hockey fan (especially college) in the last two years. I hate to have to ask this, but how is the +/- computed? It seems to be a pretty important stat.

Everyone starts out at 0 or even at the beginning of the season. Every time you are on the ice when a goal is scored for your team you earn +1. Every time you are on the ice for the opponent's goal, you earn a -1. It is cumulative so, if you are on the ice every time your team scores a goal in a 5-0 blow out, you will be +5 at the end of the day. However, if you are on the shut out team and are on the ice when they score their goals you will end the day with a -5.

I think that's right.

you get a +1 or -1 next to your name if a goal is scored during a even strength goal or a short handed goal while your on the ice

i hope this correct..if not someone will correct this

+ if your on the ice of the team that scored a goal...

- if your on the ice if your scored against

no +,- on a powerplay goal either way

players like spirko and jpar that were not drafted will enter the pro ranks as undrafted free agents being able to sign with whoever offers them a contract

i found this from http://proicehockey.about.com/library/blqu..._plus-minus.htm

When an even-strength or shorthanded goal is scored, every player on the ice for the team scoring the goal is credited with a plus. Every player on the ice for the team scored against gets a minus. A player's overall total is calculated by subtracting the minuses from the pluses. A high plus total is taken to suggest that a guy is a good defensive player.

When an even-strength or shorthanded goal is scored, every player on the ice for the team scoring the goal is credited with a plus. Every player on the ice for the team scored against gets a minus. A player's overall total is calculated by subtracting the minuses from the pluses. A high plus total is taken to suggest that a guy is a good defensive player.

So is +/- more an indication of good defensive play, offensive play, or overall play. Everytime I see stats on TV for hockey games for a player it is always: goals, assists, and +/-.

The info regarding the draft is for the most part correct as most of the time it is 18 year olds. However, every so often a college player who was overlooked as an 18 year old but turns in a banner season while in college is drafted so that a team can own his rights following college. The most recent example is Paul Stastny of Denver.

The info regarding the draft is for the most part correct as most of the time it is 18 year olds. However, every so often a college player who was overlooked as an 18 year old but turns in a banner season while in college is drafted so that a team can own his rights following college. The most recent example is Paul Stastny of Denver.

I thought Statsny was drafted in this year's draft because last year's draft was cancelled.

If you want a true overaged draft pick, look down the road at CC to Brian Salcido.

So is +/- more an indication of good defensive play, offensive play, or overall play. Everytime I see stats on TV for hockey games for a player it is always: goals, assists, and +/-.

That is largely true, but some people consider +/- to be a very over-rated stat. It still reflects team play, not strictly individual contributions. A players +/- will be influenced by the quality of your linemates, the situations you play in (if you are asked to play against the other team's top scoring line consistently, you'll probably be a minus player), and sometimes dumb luck.

So hypothetically speaking, if Rastilav Spirko, scored 30 goals and 40 assists this season, an NHL team could draft him out of the blue this season? In other words, it does happen, that an older college player gets drafted?

So hypothetically speaking, if Rastilav Spirko, scored 30 goals and 40 assists this season, an NHL team could draft him out of the blue this season? In other words, it does happen, that an older college player gets drafted?

no he cant be drafted..he can sign as a undrafted free agent

I thought Statsny was drafted in this year's draft because last year's draft was cancelled.

If you want a true overaged draft pick, look down the road at CC to Brian Salcido.

There was no cancelled draft. Ovechkin was #1 in the 2004 draft and Sydney Crosby was #1 in a delayed 2005 draft.

Draft eligibility

Eligible Players

Players who turn 18 by September 15 can be drafted, but only if they "opt in" by declaring their draft eligibility. Most promising young players choose to opt in, and the highest draft picks are almost always used to select 18-year-olds.

Those who turn 19 by September 15 and are not older than 20 by December 31 are automatically eligible for selection. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible.

As of 2004, the NCAA allows 18-year-old players from Division I schools to enter the draft. Drafted players retain their college eligibility as long as they don't play for a professional team or hire an agent. In previous years, an 18-year-old who opted into the draft lost his NCAA eligibility.

A North American player who is not drafted by the age of 20 is an unrestricted free agent. All non-North Americans must be drafted before being signed, regardless of age.

A junior hockey player can re-enter the draft if he does not receive a contract offer within one year of being drafted, is not signed by his NHL team within two years of being drafted and is 20 years old or younger at the time of the subsequent draft. NHL teams retain the rights to college players until 30 days after the player has left college.

A player who has been drafted a second time cannot re-enter.

That is largely true, but some people consider +/- to be a very over-rated stat. It still reflects team play, not strictly individual contributions. A players +/- will be influenced by the quality of your linemates, the situations you play in (if you are asked to play against the other team's top scoring line consistently, you'll probably be a minus player), and sometimes dumb luck.

The +/- stat is actually pretty telling. If you have a lot of points but a realtively low +, then that tells me that you are a one dimensional player, i.e., the ice is sloped towards the other team's end. If you have a lot of points and have a high + then that suggests that you are a complete hockey player and probably a leader on the team. There are times when the statistic can be misleading but over the course of a season it usually gives you a pretty good idea of what is going on with certain players.

The +/- stat is actually pretty telling. If you have a lot of points but a realtively low +, then that tells me that you are a one dimensional player, i.e., the ice is sloped towards the other team's end. If you have a lot of points and have a high + then that suggests that you are a complete hockey player and probably a leader on the team. There are times when the statistic can be misleading but over the course of a season it usually gives you a pretty good idea of what is going on with certain players.

Do you think that fairly represents an individual player when there are 6 guys on the ice for each goal? I just have to wonder.

Do you think that fairly represents an individual player when there are 6 guys on the ice for each goal? I just have to wonder.

My experience is that it is a pretty good indicator stat. Yes, there are times when it is totally unfair because someone has just stepped out on to the ice when a goal is scored and had nothing to do with the play leading up to the goal or the goalie has simply let in a weak goal. Over a longer period, however, it does tend to give you some hints about a player, particularly if his +/- is out of step with the rest of his team.