SiouxSports.com Forum

#7 T.J. Oshie

Nassau44

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have also forgotten that up to this point the Sioux have had the toughest schedule in the nation and it only gets better this weekend against the Badgers. 5-2-1 is pretty good with a freshman laden team.

If there is one thing we have learned is that it is March and April that matter...

Young team, early in the season, bad loss.....learn from it and move on.

Last weekend reminded me of last years Minnesota series. Came out hard Friday and won 4-2 and were flat on Saturday losing 0-6. While last Saturdays loss was hard, recent history shows that a weekend like last does not a season make. Heck at this point last year we were 4-2-2. We are a shoe-in for the title game again. :silly:

pro17- I understand the point you are trying to make, but I just don't agree with it. There are plenty of talented teams out there and many of them suffer through a horrible defeat like Saturday. HOWEVER, we didn't lose to UAF or SCSU! We lost to a bonafide top 10 team. IIRC, we've had serious problems trying to crack Mannino even last year even after games where Mannino has looked like a sieve. I don't think that this team is spoiled. I think that this team is YOUNG. Every freshman on the team came from a different system that handled losses a different way. They handled wins a different way. They handled EVERYTHING a different way. Suddenly, they are thrown together on the same sheet of ice wearing the same jersey and given an ENTIRELY different way things are done. You don't think that this is going to take some adjustments? This team is YOUNG and they looked YOUNG on Saturday. There is no doubt in my mind there will be more games where we will look young too. But things WILL get better with time and experience. Are they spoiled or are they just not used to having to be at the arena the day after a game early in the morning for sprints or whatever? Think about it. They are learning and learning as a team, young and older alike. The fact that everyone from Marvin down to Toews (oldest to youngest) had to participate in this sends the message that it doesn't matter how well you play. A win is a TEAM win and a loss is a TEAM loss. Either case, the TEAM will face the consequences good or bad together.

Kermit: Oops. Misread the post. Oh, I agree Lee's got a bigger offensive upside than Chorney and Lee hasn't exactly been a liability defensively either. I'm saying that Chorney has looked incredibly solid so far and he edges Lee out defensively so far.

He simply loves the game. After leaving the arena now I realize how the Warrior's won 2 MN State titles in three years. Oshie was their leader and now is climbing the ladder at UND.

ok this bothered me a little bit and maybe i'm just sticking to my old roots when i say this BUT "I now realize how the Warriors won 2 MN State titles in 3 years!" Do you watch Minnesota hockey at all? I'm not arguing that Oshie isn't top notch, I really have enjoyed his playing thus far as well, but i will comment that his amazing point total and his 2 titles in the MN State league have a little bit to do with Warroad not stepping up to Class AA. They are still a single A school. SERIOUSLY, if a team is that good and that developed and that infamous at this point in high school hockey it might be time to step it up and possibly take on a new challenge, or a challenge at all. Warroad isn't all that great going down and winning titles against single A teams, they need to step up and realize that they just might have to take a down year or two to get into the swing of AA. I'm complaining a little because I get sick of listening to how good they are and how amazing some of their key players stats are, yes they have an excellent program and excellent recruiting skills too i might add, but its not hard to get those stats and get those titles when you're playing at the single A level. Again I mean nothing of this against Oshie, because I'm truly loving his performance thus far, and he's really not a true Warroadite anyway, but maybe it should be taken into account that his bazillion points aren't all that noteworthy, as our his titles considering the league in which they came from.

ok this bothered me a little bit and maybe i'm just sticking to my old roots when i say this BUT "I now realize how the Warriors won 2 MN State titles in 3 years!" Do you watch Minnesota hockey at all? I'm not arguing that Oshie isn't top notch, I really have enjoyed his playing thus far as well, but i will comment that his amazing point total and his 2 titles in the MN State league have a little bit to do with Warroad not stepping up to Class AA. They are still a single A school. SERIOUSLY, if a team is that good and that developed and that infamous at this point in high school hockey it might be time to step it up and possibly take on a new challenge, or a challenge at all. Warroad isn't all that great going down and winning titles against single A teams, they need to step up and realize that they just might have to take a down year or two to get into the swing of AA. I'm complaining a little because I get sick of listening to how good they are and how amazing some of their key players stats are, yes they have an excellent program and excellent recruiting skills too i might add, but its not hard to get those stats and get those titles when you're playing at the single A level. Again I mean nothing of this against Oshie, because I'm truly loving his performance thus far, and he's really not a true Warroadite anyway, but maybe it should be taken into account that his bazillion points aren't all that noteworthy, as our his titles considering the league in which they came from.

I've always wondered why people rail on Warroad so much. I'm curious. Since it's so easy to do in Class A, what other teams have won 2 of the last 3 MN state high school titles? I don't have the enrollment but I know Warroad is not a very big school. They are dominating their peers. What's so bad about that. Could they move up? I suppose they could. Personally, I think it would be cool if they did. However, ripping on their accomplishments because of which class they are in just doesn't work with me. They didn't move down a class in order to dominate. They were put in their proper class. They haven't opted to move up and play bigger schools. I'm not sure why that is held against them.

While we're at it let's stop by the Forney thread and rip on his accomplishments. For God's sake TRF is only single A. How come know one is wondering why the don't move up a class, what about EGF, they also have 3-4 times the population As Warroad does. Benilde, Breck, Blake, St. Thomas Acedemy, Totino Grace, all the private Twin City Schools that are class A, and you want to rip on Warroad. Once again, do your homework before you post something so damn stupid.

While we're at it let's stop by the Forney thread and rip on his accomplishments. For God's sake TRF is only single A. How come know one is wondering why the don't move up a class, what about EGF, they also have 3-4 times the population As Warroad does. Benilde, Breck, Blake, St. Thomas Acedemy, Totino Grace, all the private Twin City Schools that are class A, and you want to rip on Warroad. Once again, do your homework before you post something so damn stupid.

Does this mean I can't rip on Wheeler?

Obviously, the St. Louis Blues were not too concerned that he only played Class A hockey. I suppose being a first-round draft pick isn't really noteworthy either? :silly:

Yeah, Dog lets not forget these other single A hacks. Matt Niskanen (UMD) 1st rd 28th overall pick of the Dallas Stars, Blake Wheeler (MN), 5th overall by Phoenix, TJ 24th by the Blues, and possibly Forney. Does the NHL know something the rest of us are missing? These kids all played single A MN hockey. Maybe a better comparison would be between ND high school hockey and MN high school hockey, where are ND's big guns. I say this as being born, raised, and lived in ND all of my life.

Actually, If you look at the schedule Warroad plays, You'd have to remove the boot from your mouth. I think it's terrible to cut down the high school points that TJ has worked so hard to earn. Teams like Moorhead, Totino, Edina, Eastview...to name a few. Some of these are AA and are very highly skilled teams that Warroad chooses to play. In Warroad Vs. Moorhead (possibly the best HS game I've seen) it ended up as a tie after a grueling OT. It showed they were just as good on any given day, maybe better on some days as Moorhead. We all know Moorhead has struggled getting a title but how many runner ups have they had in the last 10 years. My point is that TJ's points came against great teams with skilled players. They didn't play Hallock, Red Lake Falls and other weaker teams in their section because they wanted the tough competition. As far as the A, AA thing, Roseau is a good example of why it may not be the best idea to move up after a couple great years. In fact, When I was in High school (late nineties) East Grand Forks went to state 4 out of the 5 years claiming 2nd and consolation champs the rest of the years. Warroad was knocked off in the quarterfinals and semis those years! So should the every team move up and down based upon the last couple years of play?? I don't think so. I aslo think with the stacked private teams in A the competition is just the same.

And one last FYI, TJ has very strong family roots in Warroad. His father, grandmother, grandfather, great grand father, great great grandfather and many of aunts, uncles and cousins are all from and reside in Warroad. TJ growing up spent a fair amount of time in Warroad as well. In fact, it was his dying grandfathers wish to go back to his roots and play for his town that he had held so dear.

Back in the day when UND beat UMD and BSU by a dozen goals, should we strip those of the record books because of the lopsided talent on the two teams??

:silly:

Hey IHEARTDEFENSEMEN, for your information TJ's blood goes much further back in Warroad hockey than you think, get your facts straight before making such stupid comments!

Didn't Roseau move up because they were sick of dealing with Warroad in the sections?

The primary difference between "A" and "AA" is depth in my opinion. The State Tourney teams in "AA" typically have three lines and a sprinkle in a fourth line. The "A" teams usually have two lines and sprinkle in a third or fourth line. Warroad is an exception to that some years, but some years they are not.

With high end players I don't think there is a difference between "A" and "AA" other than geography. Guys like Wheeler and Oshie have been 1st Round picks as "A" players and guys like Riddle and Pohl are certainly two of the best Gophers recently.

Warroad Warriors 2004-05 Undefeated Championship Season

11/26/04 Osseo Away 7:30 p.m. W 7-1

11/27/04 Armstrong Away 3:00 p.m. W 7-1

12/03/04 East View Away 7:30 p.m. W 10-2

12/04/04 Orono Home 3:15 p.m. W 8-2

12/07/04 Bemidji Home 7:30 p.m. W 10-4

12/10/04 Hibbing Away 7:30 p.m. W 6-2

12/11/04 Coleraine Away 3:00 p.m. W 11-1

12/16/04 East Grand Forks Home 7:30 p.m. W 12-1

12/18/04 Benilde-St. Margaret's Home 4:15 p.m. W 6-1

12/22/04 TRF Away 4:00 p.m. W 7-2

12/28/04 HHC vs. Lake of the Woods Home 5:30 p.m. W 5-0

12/29/04 HHC vs. Osseo Home 7:30 p.m. T 3-3

12/30/04 HHC vs. Richfield Home 2:30 p.m. W 6-2

1/6/05 Roseau Home 7:00 p.m. W 7-2

1/8/05 Crookston Away 3:15 p.m. W 6-0

1/13/05 TRF Home 7:30 p.m. W 6-1

1/15/05 Moorhead Away 6:00 p.m. T 1-1OT

Res.1/29/05 Crookston Home Res.7:00 p.m. W 6-1

Res. 2/10/05 East Grand Forks Away 7:30 p.m. W 5-3

1/25/05 Roseau Away 7:30 p.m. W 3-1

1/27/05 Lake of the Woods Away 7:30 p.m. W 4-0

2/1/05 GF Central Away 7:30 p.m. W 6-0

2/4/05 Bemidji Away 7:30 p.m. W 10-0

2/5/05 Duluth Marshall Away 7:30 p.m. W 3-2

2/12/05 St. Cloud Apollo Home 3:15 p.m. W 6-1

Play-in

2/17/05 8A Quarter Final TRF 6:00 W 13-0

2/19/05 8A Semi-Final TRF 7:30 W 9-1

3/24/05 8A Final TRF 7:30 W 4-1

3/2/05 State Tournament Albert Lea Xcel Energy Center 12:00 W 6-1

3/4/05 State Tournament St. Thomas Xcel Energy Center 12:00 W 4-0

3/5/05 State Tournament Totino-Grace Xcel Energy Center 12:00 W 4-3(2OT)

Okay. Since I started this thread I thought it's time to explain.

Above is the 2004-05 Warroad Warrior's schedule. Look through it. Perhaps you need to see that Warroad played 11 of the 25 regular season games vs. AA teams. No cakewalk teams either.

Check to see how the top A teams faired vs. AA teams and Warroad defeated all those teams. The point is mute. Warroad plays a very tough schedule year in year out. I know that you're a AA program and pissed that Warroad probably knocked off your team.

The accomplishments T.J. Oshie produced are historic in this day and age. Give the kid credit. And to say he's not from Warroad is pathetic. Check the geneology. His families name and Chippewa heritage is why they are called the "Warrior's".

Get off this AA vs. A rollercoaster. And yes, the reason Roseau moved up to AA is because they couldn't get past Warroad in the 90's. Call a spade a spade.

If Oshie would have played in the Twin Cities he would have been the Media Darling like a Wheeler was in 2004. Since Warroad has no media outlets per say, he was primarily an unknown until State Tourney time every year.

His class of 2005 team went 85-5-3 during their 3-year run losing the five games to 4 AA teams. The lone Class A defeat was in the hands of Orono in the 2004 MN State Class A Quarter-Finals where Warroad was #1 going in.

I would take Warroad in 2003 to defeat Anoka; 2005 to defeat Holy Angels for a undisputed State Champion. Maybe those programs should give the Warroad Athletic Dept a call to arrange. Warroad would back down to no one.

Also, shame on you for trying to cheapen a MN State Hockey Championship. Oshie has 2 things you never will.

MN HS School Hockey State Championship RINGS!!!!

Warroad Warriors 2004-05 Undefeated Championship Season

<snip> Lots of good stuff </snip>

MN HS School Hockey State Championship RINGS!!!!

I don't think Warroad matches up poorly in any of the matchups you mentioned. However putting them in the "AA" field they move from being far and away the deepest team in the field to simply another top team in the top field.

The "best" team doesn't come on top as frequently in "AA". Would Warroad win state championships in "AA", absolutely in my opinion, but they were on a Moorhead like run before they went single A. After all Roseau has done it twice recently and those two programs are quite similar whether they like it or not.

Would they play in six championship games in eleven years like they have in "A", absolutely not.

As for crying about Wheeler and the media, save it for Kessel.

For those who have the chance the "A" semis and finals are about as fun as it gets to attend, especially if bringing young kids. Great teams in a great rink without the traffic and manic crowds. My four year old couldn't stop talking about the Totino/Marshall and the Warroad/Totino games for a month.

As for crying about Wheeler and the media, save it for Kessel.

Speaking of Kessel, it's been interesting to hear all the Minny fans bitching about him and his puck hogging. I really thought that he'd never do anything wrong in Gopher fans eyes, but I got to give them credit for criticizing him.

Speaking of Kessel, it's been interesting to hear all the Minny fans bitching about him and his puck hogging. I really thought that he'd never do anything wrong in Gopher fans eyes, but I got to give them credit for criticizing him.

Kessel hasn't been giving up the puck on time in my opinion, but I have no doubts he will adjust. It's not that he's really looking to shoot over passing like the radio guys are saying, it's just that he wants to beat the defense and then either dish or shoot. When Irmen comes back and is paired with Kessel I think they will be very effective. Irmen will get the job done in both the corners and in the slot and that will really complement what Kessel brings. I have to think Irmen wouldn't hesitate to get in his ear as well if the passes are late.

• 1 month later...

IMO Kessel is looking to shoot before pass but i dont think its really a bad thing. Alexander Ovechkin is also a shoot first player and gets amazing results. Kessel will adjust and will start seeing the ice better and finding his teamates when they have a better opportunity than he does.