SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Badgers. Thoughts?

AZSIOUX

new week, new series coming up!! badgers will be coming to town. another very tough series. wisconsin brings in a solid team with earl, likens, macmurchy, pavelski and newcomer skille. the badgers come in to the ralph after sweeping alaska 6-1 friday and 5-1 saturday.

this is the only series between the teams this season

any chance of Spirko coming back?

SIOUX

#5 (USCHO) http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

#5 (USA TODAY) http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=usatoday&week=poll

#4 (INCH) http://insidecollegehockey.com/5Polls/0506/polls_0407.htm

BADGERS

#9 (USCHO)

#10 (USA TODAY)

#10 (INCH)

http://mb11.scout.com/fwisconsin36703frm6

badgers record 4-1-1..lost to st lawrence and tied st cloud...have played 3 overtime games already

sioux record 5-2-1

goaltender brian elliot comes in with 4-1-1 record with a 1.48 GAA.

thats damn good but thats no Jpar 4-0-1 (1.18 GAA) ???

Based on both experience and talent I still believe that Wisconsin has to be favored to win the WCHA. Hak will likely skate the team real hard this week to rectify Saturdays big letdown so I remain hopefully they will come out fired up and at least take Fridays game.

I think this weekend will be tougher than last weekend. Wisconsin has its whole team back from last year, less a few bench players and plus a few budding offensive stars. Despite their slide down the stretch last year, I thought Wisconsin was very tough at the Final Five: good at every aspect of the game save perhaps putting the puck in the net. And they seemed to figure that out last weekend. I expect it to be very tough for the Sioux this weekend. Whatever the results, and I could imagine the entire range of possibilities, I hope they just continue to get better each week. If they do, then the results will ultimately take care of themselves.

At this point in the season I have no issue playing both Lammy and Parise. Lammy is a good goalie. It's early in the season and all players who earn time in practice should have a chance to feel like they are contributing. As the season goes on, points get ever more crucial, and it's time to keep the sharpest players sharp, then decide on a #1 and a #2. That's my opinion.

I believe the Sioux are overrated.

Can't disagree. Last week after a win and tie on the road with #13 UNH they Sioux were stuck at 6th. Yet this week at home against #10 Denver and a win and a bad loss, we move up 1? Again, a reason I don't put much stock in the polls.

I would think a split, or even taking 3 pts, would be a reasonable result. Wisconsin is pretty solid, and our guys' youth is still showing at times. Definite flashes of brilliance and potential, but they are still a bit green at this point. I think this weekend is when the upperclassmen will have to step it up and deliver the goods on both ends.

Any word on if Spirko will be playing? The team could use another weapon upfront.

i think they are around the right area with the rankings. they have not lost to a bad team yet which helps. they could be a few places lower like 6-8 with no argument as well. when you play a tough schedule right off the bat it seems that you get rewarded a little even if you take a couple tough losses.

wisconsin leads series 74-54-10

sioux 4-0-1 in last five games vs badgers in g-forks

wisc scoring leaders through 6 games

pavelski (sophmore) 8 pts

4g 4a

earl (junior) 8 pts

3g 5a

gilbert (senior) 6 pts

1g 5 a

macmurchy (senior) 5 pts

1g 4a

sioux scoring leaders through 8 games

oshie (freshman) 9 points

3g 6a

toews (freshman) 7 points

4g 3a

stafford (junior) 6 points

4g 2a

porter (junior) 6 points

2g 4a

lee (freshman) 6 points

1g 5a

I guess I really don't understand why make a big deal about each teams' top scorers. Yeah, they are the ones to watch, but with the exception of the freshmen, it's nothing we didn't already know.

When we step onto the ice tommorrow night it will be like everyone has no goals or assists and I hope everyone plays like their roster spot is in jeopardy.

We need to play like we played last Friday night and we need to play with discipline. People WILL get tired of me saying it but discipline discipline discipline!

I guess I really don't understand why make a big deal about each teams' top scorers. Yeah, they are the ones to watch, but with the exception of the freshmen, it's nothing we didn't already know.

When we step onto the ice tommorrow night it will be like everyone has no goals or assists and I hope everyone plays like their roster spot is in jeopardy.

We need to play like we played last Friday night and we need to play with discipline. People WILL get tired of me saying it but discipline discipline discipline!

i did not make a big deal out of anything , just posting some basic scoring info, wow...does it really bother you that much that. just was bored and looked up some info... :silly:

another comment ragarding opposing teams playing at the ralph by mike eaves from INCH

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/N...6/wcha_0407.htm

Despite going 0-3-1 at the Ralph in his three previous seasons running the Wisconsin program, Eaves says he likes visiting the palace on the prairie.