SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Thread

Siouxdonyms

Excellent game last night.  Looking foward to tonights game.  Is it going to be on TV??? or do I have to listen to Swig on the Radio? 

I thought that Toews and Stafford were both unbelievable along with Oshie.  The freshman 4 on 4 line looked incrediable!!  These kids have only been playing together for less than a month and look how much they have gelled already!  Look out Denver - we want the sweep!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The New Hampshire PBS station will be broadcasting the game and UNH is offering it as a free webcast at the following link:

http://www.nhptv.org/product/hockey/hockey.htm

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some comments after watching the game:

Lee looked a little lost out there early on. He made a couple noticable mistakes, but I know Chorney covered for him on one. I think those two are a great combo, because they can make up for each others weaknesses. After the 1st, I'd say Lee got his act together and had a very nice play to set up Toews in the 3rd.

I don't like Radke on the point during the PP. Twice he tried to force shots. Both were wristers that didn't seem to have much velocity. I know we freak out about not shooting enough, but it seemed like he was forcing it with shots that wouldn't have made it through.

Other than the end of the 1st and parts of the 2nd, I thought the Sioux were flying. Especially during parts in the third, you could tell their legs were going. Hopefully they can get the sweep tonight.

CSTV said Stafford's penalty was a "good" penalty (what the heck does that mean?  Never heard of a "good" penalty before)

Never heard of a "good" penalty?  No one wants to see their team penalized, including coaches and players, but sometimes, it's better to take a penalty to prevent a good scoring opportunity, and hope your PK unit comes through for you. 

Lol, I think its always a good penatly if it saves a goal. Also, its not a bad penalty in my book unless it leads to a powerplay goal by the oppostion.

Edited by Goon

Foyt gets a penalty.  You cursed him!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I was not mistaken after the penalty he never hit the ice again the rest of the evening. I am actually surprised he is even still on the squad with the talent we have.

Rodents win 5-2.  Game was closer than the score.  Very physical too.

Go Sioux!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minnesota defense is not very good, I think they have more holes than last season. I think they will give up quite a few goals and odd man rushes this season.

I don't like Radke on the point during the PP.  Twice he tried to force shots.  Both were wristers that didn't seem to have much velocity.  I know we freak out about not shooting enough, but it seemed like he was forcing it with shots that wouldn't have made it through.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I will disagree with you on this to a point. Radke is new to the PP unit after basically doing everything but sit out the entirety of last season. So far, he's looked alright on the PP unit as the QB of that PP line.

I will agree with you in so much as to say that Radke needs to focus on when and where to shoot the puck from the point. Both of his shots were from high on the blue line at center ice. This is really a low percentage shot. UNH's first goal was in that general area, though it was closer to the net than Radke's positioning, however, as the CSTV people stated, there were only 3 defenders on the ice at the time. It's not that easy to do the same thing with 4 or 5 defenders on the ice. Also, Radke broadcast both of his shots. He has a great shot, this I know, but I'm wondering if his shot would be best utilized in a one-timer variety, like Lee has been doing lately.

The biggest thing I've noticed from Radke so far is poise and maturity. He's really stepped up responsibly this year so far. Few penalties, few times getting beaten. He looked to have GREAT Positioning on the 2 on 1 that UNH had last night (never found out for sure as the play was whistled dead on a UNH penalty behind the play)... I really like Radke. He won't win any national or perhaps even conference accolades, but I think he could win a comeback player award for the Sioux if he keeps up the good work.

The biggest thing I've noticed from Radke so far is poise and maturity.  He's really stepped up responsibly this year so far.  Few penalties, few times getting beaten.  He looked to have GREAT Positioning on the 2 on 1 that UNH had last night (never found out for sure as the play was whistled dead on a UNH penalty behind the play)...  I really like Radke.  He won't win any national or perhaps even conference accolades, but I think he could win a comeback player award for the Sioux if he keeps up the good work.

Actually I don't think Radkey has played too bad this season, he will get better. Also, I noticed he didn't play as much as he ussually does last night, seemed like Lee and Chorney were on the ice every other play. I think his skills are pretty good and he will be able to move the puck around on the Power Play.

It seemed to me that the Sioux were often trying to force the puck to Chorney for a shot from the point. He must really have a good shot. Finley really impressed me, in the third, I think he poke checked a puck before the NH player even realized that it was a possibility. The only defender that looked really rough to me was Jones who still made some plays. This does NOT look like a freshman D corps.

I know I'm a day late, but I wanted to add some accolades upon Brian Lee for his game-winning assist on Friday night. This was the first Sioux game that I got to see this year, as I have moved to Charlotte, NC. (Small benefit: I did get to see Mike Commodore get in a fight on TV yesterday)

It was discussed earlier in the thread that the freshmen were crashing the net in this game. Zajac's finesse pass to Stafford was money, but to me, the play of the game was Brian Lee following his own shot to the net, then making the heads-up and patient pass across the crease nose to Toews. It all started with Lee following his own shot.

Prpich is my favorite player, but I'm going to pick on him here. Once per game, he receives a long pass and comes in one-on-one, and he promptly buries it into the goalie. He had one of these on Friday, too, and there was even a nice rebound, but he was coasting behind the net. In this particular instance, he may not have had a good chance to follow his shot, but it feels like a pattern. I was excited to see the freshman defender going to the net. Toews had the easy part in that transaction.

I was really impressed with our freshmen--this looks like quite a class. I can't wait to come up nort' for the @SCSU series!

Caught my first glimpse of the '05-'06 Sioux on the NHPTV Webcast & here are a few of my impressions:

+ Oshie: Always seemed to be where the action was & opportunistic in that he converted on a nice backhand rebound. Maybe doesn't have a blistering slapshot but compensates for that by working in tight spaces & close to the net. The Dino Ciccarelli (sp) legend lives on in the form of a young man with a unique first name.

+ Lee: I admire young players like this who perform beyond their years. Poised, good decision-making in pressure situations; skills that usually take years to develop. Was impressed with his shots from the point: on the Oshie goal he appeared to notice a possible good rebound opportunity when he shot low-right on Regan, with Oshie calmly flipping it in. Displayed good anticipation on that goal.

+ Chorney: I don't think I've ever seen a frosh d-man play with such confidence. Powerful stride & hard slap shot from the point; at times I thought I was watching an all-American junior or senior.

+ Jones: From reading various posters' previous evaluations of Zach, I thought of him as the weakest link in the d-corps. After watching him Saturday, I still think he has a ways to go but I feel a lot more comfortable with him than before. On one occasion, he moved up nicely from the blueline, took a nice feed from Zajac who was behind the UNH goal & had a quality point-blank shot on net. This could have led to an odd-man rush the other way, but he got to show his offensive side.

+ Parise: Noticed from a couple NH papers before the weekend & USCHO Hockey East reporters afterward that Parise was being described as a "star" & other nice things. Never before quite thought of him this highly but my opinion of him changed this weekend. No doubt a few of the NHL scouts in attendance saw his great play (esp. Fri. night) & it'll be interesting to see if he gets selected in one of the later rounds of the '06 Entry Draft.

+ Consistency: I wonder if it's written somewhere or a universal law that young teams are forbidden from playing 60 minutes of intense hockey. I thought we had a good showing in this area Saturday, but from listening to other games Parise won't always be able to bail out his teammates during those times when they have those 20-minute long motivational malfunctions.

+ Inopportune penalties: A good example of this was when Stafford hacked a UNH forward across the back of the neck during a time when the Sioux were dominating play & cycling very effectively. This essentially nullified that & put UNH back on the offensive. Maybe someone can call in Wednesday night & ask the coach why his players are doing this & if anything is being done to remedy the situation. I know, it's early in the season, but it's something that shouldn't be allowed to continue indefinitely.

+ This is a very special freshman class. Contrary to preseason polls & expectations, I don't think this is an exceptionally strong year in the WCHA. Denver & Minnesota may create a slight gap at the top come Jan. or Feb., but I think the Sioux will still be within shouting distance. Still TBD is whether the young Sioux legs will still be moving fast in March after 6 months of physical WCHA play.

+ Dear Bob Norton: Winnipeg is not in Minnesota & Finley is taller than 6'4".

+ Liked what I saw in the cycling department. Also impressed by their transition game; big difference from last year & it's remarkable how the simple addition of 3 offensive-minded d-men can change the style & overall effectiveness of a team. Sort of reminded me of CC's style of D in recent years & I think this better ability to push the puck up the ice (including outlet passes) will make for more exciting hockey, longer puck possession, better control of the neutral zone &, of course, more point production -- from the D & overall. Seemed like last year's D was preoccupied with hurting opposing players, whereas this year's are focused on putting points on the board.

+ Hockey East doesn't look to be too strong this year if UND can go into (projected 1st place) UNH & take 3/4 points with mostly underclassmen. Not very impressed with the Wildcats -- suspect D, doesn't appear to be coached in the importance of physical play/checking & mostly a one-line team. These qualities may win HE regular season titles, but not NCAA championships. HE down this year, CCHA up & WCHA as previously mentioned.

+ Special thanks to sprig for giving me some tips that optimized my PC in preparation for Saturday night's Webcast. Thanks also to NHPTV for the opportunity to watch some quality hockey (even though their server kicked me off with 5 min. remaining in the 3rd period because it got too busy).

+ Jones: From reading various posters' previous evaluations of Zach, I thought of him as the weakest link in the d-corps. After watching him Saturday, I still think he has a ways to go but I feel a lot more comfortable with him than before. On one occasion, he moved up nicely from the blueline, took a nice feed from Zajac who was behind the UNH goal & had a quality point-blank shot on net. This could have led to an odd-man rush the other way, but he got to show his offensive side.

+ Parise: Noticed from a couple NH papers before the weekend & USCHO Hockey East reporters afterward that Parise was being described as a "star" & other nice things. Never before quite thought of him this highly but my opinion of him changed this weekend. No doubt a few of the NHL scouts in attendance saw his great play (esp. Fri. night) & it'll be interesting to see if he gets selected in one of the later rounds of the '06 Entry Draft.

Being one of those who was critical of Jones I feel I must clarify. I never questioned his defensive play. I think he will be a solid defensive defenseman. However, the only thing I thought was rather down about his game was his tendency to take penalties. He could be leading the team in PIMs already. Not something we need right now.

JPar is too old for the draft. Unlike CSTV's reporters, we actually know that he's older than Zach (2 years older perhaps?). It's not uncommon for NHL teams to draft an older than average player in the late rounds (Brian Salcido of CC is an example of this in the 2005 draft), but it is very unlikely to happen with a goaltender. HOWEVER-- this isn't to say that JPar didn't impress pro scouts. What could be interesting is what happens after JPar's senior year. There could be a frenzy for an NHL team to sign him. With the way he has played the past few years in clutch and playoff situations, there is a REMOTE chance that an NHL team could make a play to woo him this off season, but like I said, this is a remote possibility. Goaltenders, so I've heard, take a long time to develop so it is very rare that they'd try to convince on who went undrafted to leave early. Ryan Miller and Rick DiPietro were drafted very high, so he left. Ed Belfour is the only undrafted goaltender I can remember who was convinced to sign with an NHL team early.

So Zach Jones is taking a few penalties. I think we're very lucky that our young D are apparently acclimating fairly quickly. I would have expected a lot more of this from all of them at this point. I wonder if the excellent play by others only makes Jones look worse than it is. I think he's going to be just fine. Each player comes into his own in his own time. Give him a chance to work through it.

So Zach Jones is taking a few penalties.  I think we're very lucky that our young D are apparently acclimating fairly quickly.  I would have expected a lot more of this from all of them at this point.  I wonder if the excellent play by others only makes Jones look worse than it is.  I think he's going to be just fine.  Each player comes into his own in his own time.  Give him a chance to work through it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You guys are luckier than you can even imagine...