SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Stink at Home

Kuhninca

Blais unhappy with the forechecking effort. Couldn't execute passes. Blais unhappy with fans booing the team also. Not a happy camper.

Blais said practices were awful this week leading to an awful game.

Good effort by UAA; made the trap work.

Bet dagies isn't too happy about traveling all the way to see that effort.

(Edited by sprig at 10:06 pm on Jan. 11, 2002)

Tim & Tim, right this second, are talking about how B. Canady was the only one out there who really looked like he was playing at his hardest out there on the ice.  They are saying how the upperclassmen look like they were unfocused.

Obviously, it was not Siembida's fault.  But Blais tomorrow ought to put B. Connelly and D. Faul in the lineup if they are willing to put in a better effort.  

This PATHETIC home showing has to end.  NOW.

K,

I don't want to join your b!tchfest, because you do such a good job of it yourself, but I will say that I was wondering tonight whether we should even want the Sioux to get home ice.  And I mean that only partly in jest.

Something needs to happen for the Sioux to claim this rink as their "home," but it hasn't happened yet.  I'm sure it will, but it might not be this year.

Big building, but not big ice. Just the standard NHL size rink, like the old REA.

Speed may not be what it was, but speed is relative; accurate short passes (and a few bombs) through the neutral zone make things appear much faster. Not quite there yet with this Sioux team.

(Edited by sprig at 10:15 am on Jan. 12, 2002)

I didn't see/hear the game, as I was watching another "grand" effort on the part of the Wild.

Sounds like the Sioux generally played like sh!t and without the intensity needed to win.  Perhaps it's better to bench the deadwood and play with 2 lines of frosh and sophomores, at least they seem to have a desire to get better.

"Home ice"?  These guys play better on the road, and sure as #### don't deserve any benefit to play in REA.  Maybe it would be better to finish out the top-5 and hit the road in March.

I've harped on this all season, where the #### is the leadership on this team?  The upperclassmen seem to be phoning it in.  Grrr.

Sounded like another "fine" effort at home.  Losing 3/4 pts to UAA, a team they had to beat and should have beaten.  Good god, they step up to the plate against Michigan, MSU and Minnesota but play like a sh!t against a team they must beat to have any degree of self-respect or credibility.  

Can we get them moved over to the old REA for the next series?  Grrr.

Doc Nodak:

I was really angry last night, so forgive me for being so negative.

As for this team, I think Blais should go to two practices a day until they can PERFORM, as you pointed out, AND give a solid 60 MINUTE EFFORT.  If the kids can't take the pressures of D1 hockey at one of the nation's elite programs, they can leave.  That is not what I want.

What I want to see out there is some competence.  Passing and checking and moving the puck with consistency.  This team is young.  We all know that.  But this seasons' performance at home has got to be the worst I've ever been witness to.  We cannot let it stand as "Okay."

Two practices a day, with the promise it will end when the team breaks their patheticness at home.

Quote: from Kuhninca on 10:33 pm on Jan. 12, 2002

Doc Nodak:

Two practices a day, with the promise it will end when the team breaks their patheticness at home.

You think this is the NHL. They don't even do that & they get paid. I'm sure NCAA rules won't allow it. Isn't school supposed to come first.

I know your p'd after your lofty pre-season predictions, but maybe Dean didn't anticipate the losses of Lundbohm & Roche would affect this team the way it has

Wasted scholarships on guys that left midseason to MJ & USHL meant there are a lot of young players that are trying to rush into the system.

There is still time before the play-offs.  Anything can happen there as you well know.

Quote: from ScottM on 10:20 pm on Jan. 12, 2002

Sounded like another "fine" effort at home.

The truth is: it WAS a fine effort tonight. The team played their rears off.  Great intensity throughout the game. Everyone was finishing their checks. The Sioux could have folded their tents in the first period, but they fought back and took a lead. They only allowed 20 shots on goal in regulation. UAA is a pretty good team.

Siembida was mediocre tonight. That was the difference between a win and a tie.

I hope Bochenski and Lundbohm (both benched tonight) got the message. They both can score, and the Sioux need all the scoring they can muster.

Quote: from Kuhninca on 10:33 pm on Jan. 12, 2002

Doc Nodak:

I was really angry last night, so forgive me for being so negative.

I'll make you a deal. You forgive the team for not performing up to your unrealistic expectations in the first 2/3 of this season, and I'll forgive you. ;)

The Sioux will be back. We've got a great coaching staff. We've got a roster full of great young men with good talent. They are going to get better, and some day soon they will be an elite team. None of us knows for sure if that day will be next month, next year, or in 2 years--but ranting won't make it happen sooner. As fans and supporters of the program we need to do what we can to prevent these young guys from feeling undue public pressure and losing their confidence.

FIGHT ON SIOUX!

Doc, good words.

Sprig, well, the outcomes of the games didn't meet my expectations but man oh man it was worth the trip!

I didn't hear any booing on Friday, thank God.  Up in 314 maybe we couldn't hear what went on down low.  But had anyone boo'd in 314 they'd have heard from me.

Maybe we didn't have a lot to cheer about, and were disappointed with our team, but that would not go over.

Definitely got my money's worth cheering on Saturday.  Slipped into a couple of chairs behind Reiter in the 2nd period and gave him as good of an earful as I could.  That was fun.

Here's my thought on the leadership deal.  Schneekloth is out there steady, don't really know how to evaluate him.  I like Mazurak, plays hard, etc.  Had a bad night on Sat.  Bayda, however, was out there trying to pull the whole team along on his own back.

Seemed to me he was out there working his A$$ off both nights trying to make something happen.  He was a force I thought.  I think he got tired at the end of the game on Sat, however, and that didn't help him out.  But I was very impressed with his effort.

Man, that arena is everythihg it is billed to be, and maybe even more.  More on that later....