SiouxSports.com Forum

College hockey: Huskies' struggles continue at UND

Goon

8 December, 2002

College hockey: Huskies' struggles continue at UND

By Kevin Allenspach

kallenspach@stcloudtimes.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grand Forks, N.D. - At this rate, the Huskies might as well rename the route up Interstate-94 and I-29 to Engelstad Arena.

For five years now, it has been a Trail of Tears for St. Cloud State - never more than after Saturday night's 5-4 loss to the North Dakota Sioux before a sellout crowd of 11,487 fans.

The No. 1-ranked Sioux scored on their last three of 10 power-play opportunities, beating the Huskies for the eighth consecutive time in Grand Forks. St. Cloud State also fell below .500 for the first time in three seasons, but the blow that hurt the most came when senior goalie Jake Moreland suffered what appears to be a dislocated left kneecap early in the third period.

Colin Peters pulled North Dakota forward Ryan Connelly off his feet as the puck went deep on a dump-in. Moreland went out to play the puck and Connelly knocked him flying. Freshman Jason Montgomery replaced Moreland, who was helped off the ice to an ovation from his hometown fans, and Nick Fuher scored the game-winning goal a minute and a half later.

"I had no idea he was even coming at me, I just went out to play the puck and then I went up in the air," said Moreland, who said trainers have told him he'll be out indefinitely - until his pain threshold will allow him to resume skating. He vowed it will not end his college career.

"I don't even know how I hurt my left knee because he hit me on the right side," Moreland said. "When I tried to get up, I couldn't bend my knee and it was super painful. It's a crappy thing to have happen. It means a lot to be playing back home here in Grand Forks and I wanted to finish out this game."

Even without him, the Huskies fought to the bitter end. Freshman Jonathan Lehun scored a power-play goal with less than nine minutes to go, and St. Cloud State had a 6-on-4 advantage for much of the final minute. Sioux wonder-freshman Zach Parise took a penalty for checking Montgomery, but the Huskies couldn't capitalize with an extra attacker.

North Dakota goalie Josh Siembida, who made 22 saves, out-raced Huskies captain Jon Cullen to a loose puck as the final horn sounded. As the Sioux poured off their bench, sophomore Brian Canady added insult to injury by spearing Cullen as he skated along the boards. Both teams converged at the Sioux blue line, pushing and shoving despite the presence of the officials.

"That could've been real ugly," said Sioux coach Dean Blais, who jumped on the ice along with Huskies coach Craig Dahl and began pulling the players apart.

Canady received a spearing major and a game-disqualification penalty, rendering him ineligible for Friday's home game against Canisius. The Huskies felt that wasn't punishment enough.

"That was the weakest, most cowardly thing I've ever seen at this level," said Huskies alternate captain Jeff Finger, who raced over in defense of Cullen. "They sweep the weekend and Cully's skating by their pile after it's over and (Canady) spears him in the (mid-section). I lost a lot of respect for that team. I had the utmost respect for them. They were the No. 1 team in the nation. They battle and they're well-coached. But that was a cowardly, cowardly play."

The Huskies jumped out to a 2-0 lead but the Sioux tied it halfway through the first period, scoring on two of their first three shots. Brock Hooton earned his first college point when he set up Joe Motzko 5 1/2 minutes in. And T.J. McElroy added his first college goal two minutes later, whacking a puck in the crease under Siembida.

The teams traded goals again in a penalty-filled second period. Cullen made it 3-2 on the power play 2 1/2 minutes in. But Brandon Bochenski tied it with his second goal of the game, and 16th of the season, three seconds after a 5-on-3 power-play expired.

"You saw the game - there were six 5-on-3's or 4-on-3's," Dahl said, pausing for effect. "In 23 years, I never saw that."

Thirteen minor penalties were called in the second, including one on Bochenski that wiped out a goal by Parise. Bochenski tripped McElroy in the left corner just before Parise batted the puck out of mid-air and into the net at 5:13.

"There's a lot of character on our team," Siembida said. "Even with all the power plays, we stayed calm. No one panicked."

Which is what Dahl says his team mustn't do entering a home series with Denver on Friday and Saturday.

"These were two hotly contested games," Dahl said. "They were very close and sometimes close isn't good enough to win. But it gives you an idea of how to play the game and it gives you the confidence that you can play with anybody. I saw a lot more out of our team this weekend than I have in recent weeks."

What I wanted to say is now we are going to hear that Canady is a hack on some of the other bulletin boards. I actually didn't see it but wondered why we almost had a bench clearing brawl.

Of course I think the last thing we need is Finger giving us a lecture in saint hood. Since Jeff is none of the sort.

Here is my take on the whole weekend, the only reason SCCC was close was because of the number of power plays. I never felt all weekend that UND would lose any of the two games. I was disapointed in the 2/3 of Saturday's game. if it wasn't for the power play SCSU woudln't have been that close. I really think SCSU is a one line wonder. I think that if UND played them 10 times they would win 8 games... Just my opinion. :D:(:D;);)

:D Goon, and you know what your opinion is worth!!, oh, by the way, just how do you defend Canady's action, since you are obviously not bothered by it. ;)

Husky,

I never said I defend his actions, I thought it showed poor judgement. I am not going to call for his head. I actually was woundering what all the commotion was about after the game, you couldn't see the spear from where we were sitting. I do find it ironic that Finger is acting all saintly like he is a choir boy. I never would condone an action to attempt to hurt another player by sticking them with my stick.

Goon, from where I was sitting it was an obvious intent to injure. Finger didn't say he was a saint, just that Canady did a cowardly act. I think that it was after the game was over made it all the worse. Thank goodness that Blais and Dahl got into the middle to stop what could have gotten very ugly. Put your self in Fingers place if it had been reversed. Other than that moment and of course young Shepards curious calls, I enjoyed the arena, the tribute, the fans and the Grand Forks area. ;) If only the scores were different.

I didn't see what Canady did but I did see a Husky player butt end a Sioux player after the game. Couldn't sort out who was who because both teams were congregating there by the Sioux bench. Then, I saw Blais grab and shove Prpich into the handshake line--something I've never seen before. Don't know what Mike did to prompt such a response from Blais. Any one know?

I hope Blais sits Canady for at least the whole weekend vs Canisius. Obviously, he can't play Friday, but I think we need to send a message to him or anyone else with the idea that a stick can be used like that. Not accepable. No offense to the Canady family...but he made a really bad choice.

I didn't see what Canady did but I did see a Husky player butt end a Sioux player after the game. Couldn't sort out who was who because both teams were congregating there by the Sioux bench. Then, I saw Blais grab and shove Prpich into the handshake line--something I've never seen before. Don't know what Mike did to prompt such a response from Blais. Any one know?

I saw that on TV too. I think he was just "there" and wasn't seperating. Blais was sending a message to the guys "get out of here".

Wouldn't want to be Canady today. I would, however, be curious to know why he did it. What provoked him. What was he thinking?

It's too bad because I thought he played a good hard game from what I saw on TV.

Knowing Prpich' reputation from juniors, probably was a good guy to push out of the scrum. Looked like it was close to a big fight (from the PCM pic); good chance that neither team would have ended up with enough players left to play Friday. Would not have been a good way to celebrate a sweep. SCSU could not afford to lose more players with Denver coming to SC.

Good thing those 4 games are done. Think the two teams have seen enough of each other for awhile.

I was wondering about that.  If a brawl had broken out, can Shepard hand out so many DQ's that neither team has enough players to play next weekend's games, forcing them to forfeit?  What happened to the players after the waterbottle fight in Wisconsin?

They put a couple of steaks on their eyes, boarded the bus, and popped the top on a couple of cool ones.

Ah, the good ol' days.

I was wondering about that. If a brawl had broken out, can Shepard hand out so many DQ's that neither team has enough players to play next weekend's games, forcing them to forfeit? What happened to the players after the waterbottle fight in Wisconsin?

Fighting rules were much different. No DQ's, nor, as I remember, even game misconducts. Although I'd guess of few of the main combatants in that one were kicked out of the game.

Fighting generally brought just 5 minute major penalties, which were obviously matching penalties most of the time. Much like the NHL.

The rules were very different back then!!!! I remember 1 Gopher game where all 5 players paired off. Mike Stone just trashed his Gopher, threw him face first on the ice, jumped on his back and continued to give 2 or 3 more love taps. Finally, he got off him and just skated away. The Gopher just laid on the ice propped up on his elbows looking like he was questioning why he ever took up this sport.

All 10 guys went to the sin bin and 5 minutes or so later they were all back out playing.

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!