SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Nearing a Riot

forecheck

I don't remember ever hearing or seeing this problem at the old arena, but it's getting ridiculous. Basically, there are a few a**holes in the student body who feel as though it's ok to arrive at the doors around 5:15-5:30, when the doors open at 5:30, and then run up to the front of the line as soon as the doors open and push people aside. The people who have been lined up outside the doors for 1-2 hours to get good seats.

This has been slowly progessing since the beginning of the season, and now it is finally getting out of control. I swear I almost broke a rib today when I was literally being carried forward by the crowd, and found myself stopped by a nice green cement pole. REA officials, who have plentiful security waiting for the students when they are let in the doors, have been just watching this happen without taking control. Then tonight they tried forcing about, oh what, 500 students back out the doors after letting us in because there was mad chaos. I am not exaggerating. They forced people out, let them in which led to more pushing, forced them back out, let them in, forced them out again, and then finally just said screw it and let everyone in. It was basically one REA official doing the yelling, with a couple security guards laughing and half assed telling the students to go back outside. One of these days someone is going to get hurt, and they're going to have a lawsuit on their hands. Is it that hard to position a few of those security guards and some barriers outside to keep people in something that somewhat resembles a line? Or here's a crazy idea! Get in line and stay there when you decide to show up. ;) End of rant.

Signed,

A slightly bruised, pissed off student.

It is true, it is ridiculous. Someone is going to be killed and I'm not kidding. I never left, as I was in the front, but people who were right next to me outside, were no where to be seen inside. REA seemingly does not care, they do not listen to anything we try to tell them. They think we are just dumb students or something. I sure as hell do not want to be injured in a stampede at a stupid hockey game. My friend was nearly knocked to the ground. Is there any doubt he would have been trampled if he had fallen? It is moronic and someone needs to figure something out or there are going to be huge problems.

Sure it probably won't happen again as this is the last big series of the year that students will be at, but for God's sake, do something about it. ;)

It sounds like the REA admins should get their act together when it comes to crowd control, otherwise they, and REA, may be liable for anybody who is injured, or worse. If these guys can't figure out how to keep the crowd under control and let them in in an orderly fashion, perhaps they should find somebody who can.

It sounds like the REA admins should get their act together when it comes to crowd control, otherwise they, and REA, may be liable for anybody who is injured, or worse. If these guys can't figure out how to keep the crowd under control and let them in in an orderly fashion, perhaps they should find somebody who can.

I agree, with scott. They need to put a handle on some of the students/animals that are out of hand. Most of the students are really great but there are a few bad apples that are ruining it for everyone else, these are the same clowns that are complaining when they get kicked out of the arena for a year. Being a student doesn't give someone a god given right to act like an a$$ holes. Thirdly, being pushed out of the way is actually a form of simple assult, if you want to get technical. IF you feel like your civil rights have been trampled on, file a police report.

On a second simular point, start standing up for yourself. Don't let people walk on you.

Ok I have not been to any games this year because I am down in the cities done with that school ;) Anyways I wouldn't consider a little pushing and shoving a riot. You don't know what a riot is until you get sprayed with pepper spray. I think it is funny that the city of Grand Forks called this last spring fest a riot with students burning stuff and they had to call in the so called "Riot Squad" to break it up. LMAO

When we had games at the old arena we would stand outside from like 11:00 am for the Gopher series. It was cold and freezing but we had barrel fires to keep us warm with some good beverages. The doors would open up and everyone would push and shove there way into the arena. That is not a riot, it is merely pushing and shoving to go watch hockey.

On a second simular point, start standing up for yourself. Don't let people walk on you.

Sure, easy to say if you're a big guy. I'm not exactly a frail little girl, but standing at 5'4" it's a little hard to stand up for yourself when you have hundreds of people pushing you. ;)

Tonight they actually put up some barricades, and had some university cops walk by every once in a while. It was much better. Of course, I was like the 10th person in the door, so I don't know what the rest of the line was like.

Sure, easy to say if you're a big guy. I'm not exactly a frail little girl, but standing at 5'4" it's a little hard to stand up for yourself when you have hundreds of people pushing you. ;)

Tonight they actually put up some barricades, and had some university cops walk by every once in a while. It was much better. Of course, I was like the 10th person in the door, so I don't know what the rest of the line was like.

Yeah, I suppose your right? I suggest a can of pepper spray.

I think REA listens to what people say on this web board. Maybe they took the hint. I saw the barriers last night as I made my way into the arena.

The reason I say that they must read the web board is that they actually played the old interduction from last season with the NCAA title games after someone had brought it up here on the web page. Wah Lah they played it on the over head the next Game against the Dirty Mavericks....

Odds are they were responding to the same events of the previous night that caused this thread to start.

However, it's generally good advice to bear in mind when posting that this is a public forum that is visited not only by fans but by much of the UND community including athletic staff, other media, players' families, etc... For every person who posts there are nine who are just reading.

I hope that bone head student who had the t-shirt on his head is ok today because he must have been drunk.(turkey bowling). You know what I am talking about. ;)  :D  :D

Thanks. I wasn't. I'm just weird. I know I looked stupid, but I don't care. I'm at the games to have fun. :(

Do we really need the sucks sh** chant?

I don't say **** just because i don't like swearing in public, but here is the deal. I am a musician and if one player plays during a rest and nobody else does it ruins the effect. If many students agree they arent going to say sucks **** anymore and some still do (face it many students are ******* stupid) it isn't going to solve anything.