SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Tribal officials meeting wednesday

GrahamKracker

This guy isn't a real Sioux, just ask GrahamKracker. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

he's 1/8th........if you want to consider that Sioux, go ahead, but I've been looking in history books and for the life of me can't find a picture of a red-headed Sioux Anywhere. If he tried to enroll in my tribe (granted one of his parents was an enrolled member of my tribe), he wouldn't have enough of a blood quantum to get in, sorry.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's 1/8th........if you want to consider that Sioux, go ahead, but I've been looking in history books and for the life of me can't find a picture of a red-headed Sioux

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless Marc dyed his hair since this photo was taken, he does not have red hair.

m_ranfranz.JPG

Here's the website..... http://UND.collegesports.com/trads/nd-m-fb-mas.html

Before you speak/type, please do your research, because when you don't you spread your ignorance to others. Hetche to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Notre Dame nickname is not 'The Fighting Leprechauns', they are the 'The Fighting Irish', please do your reasearch. So, if I read Taken Alive's comment correctly, it's ok to use the Fighting Irish name because the mascot is not 'real'. Using that same logic, using your comments about the UND logo, it's ok to use the name Fighting Sioux because the logo depiction of a Sioux is not real.

So by this logic UND can keep the name Fighting Sioux but just change the logo to an arrow head or eagle feathers. Then UND could state that the day an arrow head or a group of eagle feathers walks into the room and complains about the logo, we will have to listen to them. :silly:

I think we just need a small, cartoonish representation of a Sioux Indian, and then we won't be "hostile and abusive" any more. At least, that's how I read Taken Alive's quote.

he's 1/8th........if you want to consider that Sioux, go ahead, but I've been looking in history books and for the life of me can't find a picture of a red-headed Sioux Anywhere.  If he tried to enroll in my tribe (granted one of his parents was an enrolled member of my tribe), he wouldn't have enough of a blood quantum to get in, sorry.

Do you have to have "pure blood" to "count" as a Sioux now?

:silly:

Any NA who is for it is obviously one who has lost his/her roots.  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Certainly the endorsing Chippewa, Ute, and Seminole Tribes have lost their roots... or maybe they just don't have the chip on their shoulder that our wonderful Sioux Nation does. (Oops... I forgot. You're not Sioux, that's a bad word.) ;)

Here's the website..... http://UND.collegesports.com/trads/nd-m-fb-mas.html

Before you speak/type, please do your research, because when you don't you spread your ignorance to others. Hetche to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you tell us to do research so we don't spread ignorance, but your post lacks any sense. The article talks about the history of the mascot change from a terrier to a leprechun.

Explain what you are trying to say. :silly:;):D

OK, what is the final verdict. First I read that the tribes voted unanimiously to back the NCAA ruling, then the vote is 3-2 against the nickname, with the Turtle Mountain Chippewas and the Spirit Lake Tribe voting pro-nickname.

This information seems to contrdict one another.

Now if the Spirit Lake tribe supports the name, which is the tribe that gave UND premission when asked to become the Fighting Sioux, where does that leave the argument, since it seems there is no overall national Sioux tribal council to decide that matter?

It seems alot like the FSU situation. The Florida tribe supports the name, whereas the Nebraska (might be Oklahoma, can't remember for certain) tribe does not.

Once again, there is no clear solution for this issue :silly:

OK, what is the final verdict.  First I read that the tribes voted unanimiously to back the NCAA ruling, then the vote is 3-2 against the nickname, with the Turtle Mountain Chippewas and the Spirit Lake Tribe voting pro-nickname.

This information seems to contrdict one another.

Now if the Spirit Lake tribe supports the name, which is the tribe that gave UND premission when asked to become the Fighting Sioux, where does that leave the argument, since it seems there is no overall national Sioux tribal council to decide that matter?

It seems alot like the FSU situation.  The Florida tribe supports the name, whereas the Nebraska (might be Oklahoma, can't remember for certain) tribe does not.

Once again, there is no clear solution for this issue :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm confused to but I think that Spirit Lake hasn't come to a final decision yet. Turtle Mountain is not opposed to the name but it's not their call to make since they're Chippewa,.

Florida Seminoles approve of the name. Oklahoma Seminoles do not oppose the name. They also have not given support of the name via tribal resolution but that's no big deal as long as they don't oppose the use of the Seminole name.

I don't understand what's going on with the Spirit Lake and Turtle Mountain tribes. Are their tribal councils going to vote separately on the issue or are we to assume that the resolution passed by United Tribes of North Dakota is the consensus position for all tribes in the state? This has never been fully explained.

I don't understand what's going on with the Spirit Lake and Turtle Mountain tribes. Are their tribal councils going to vote separately on the issue or are we to assume that the resolution passed by United Tribes of North Dakota is the consensus position for all tribes in the state? This has never been fully explained.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The United Tribal council consists of two members from each tribe, correct? How can those two members from Spirit Lake speak for the entire Spirit Lake Tribe? I would think an official tribal resolution by Spirit Lake would carry more weight. The last tribal resolution by Spirit Lake currently of record does not object to the nickname.

I really don't care if Turtle Mountain is Chippewa and not Sioux. They were brought into this whole thing by Jesse Taken Alive. As far as I'm concerned they have every right to voice their opinion on this. If they didn't have a right, then Taken Alive shouldn't have brought them up.

Speak up Turtle Mountain. You have every right too.

The United Tribal council consists of two members from each tribe, correct?  How can those two members from Spirit Lake speak for the entire Spirit Lake Tribe?  I would think an official tribal resolution by Spirit Lake would carry more weight.  The last tribal resolution by Spirit Lake currently of record does not object to the nickname.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They can't, not logically.

I'm thinking that the reason the NCAA is taking so long on UND's appeal is that it's put itself between a rock and a hard place.

If UND's appeal is denied, it's off to court the NCAA goes. I don't think the organization's attorneys really want to go to court because of some of the issues that will be raised about the type of association it is and some of the practices it engages in.

If UND's appeal is approved, there will be howls of protest from all corners and the entire process will be revealed as a complete sham and an exercise in hypocrisy. The PR fallout will be ugly.

I thought that the NCAA had all the justification it needed late last week to deny UND's appeal. With the media focused on the Hurricane Katrina aftermath, it would have been the perfect time to do it.

But for some reason, the NCAA is holding off. The longer this goes, the more I wonder about what's really going on.

I think the brakes have been applied (by the NCAA) a couple times...once when they realized they'd just gotten 3 big DI schools off their back (WHEW!)...and another time (at least) when they realized they were dealing with a DII school with conflicting reports...what better reason to "..wait..." - "...ponder..." AND finally decide....NO! APPEAL DENIED!! ("we're standing by our principles")

They'll draw the line in D2 sand...trying to uphold some semblance of legitimacy for their "ruling" ;):lol:

UND (and maybe others) will sue in court...win...and the nc$$ can still say...'well - we TRIED!" ;);)*

(*ps - and justified all the money spent for a 4 YEAR study by the NCAA....hey - they had to come up with SOMETHING :D )

I'm thinking that the reason the NCAA is taking so long on UND's appeal is that it's put itself between a rock and a hard place.

If UND's appeal is denied, it's off to court the NCAA goes. I don't think the organization's attorneys really want to go to court because of some of the issues that will be raised about the type of association it is and some of the practices it engages in.

If UND's appeal is approved, there will be howls of protest from all corners and the entire process will be revealed as a complete sham and an exercise in hypocrisy. The PR fallout will be ugly.

I thought that the NCAA had all the justification it needed late last week to deny UND's appeal. With the media focused on the Hurricane Katrina aftermath, it would have been the perfect time to do it.

But for some reason, the NCAA is holding off. The longer this goes, the more I wonder about what's really going on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This makes sense to me.

Personally, I don't think they ever imagined a small school in ND calling them out. They know full well that UND means business, and they're a bit rattled that our Board of Higher Ed and Attorney General mean business too. They never saw it coming, IMO... but they should have. Idiots. :D

Personally, I don't think they ever imagined a small school in ND calling them out.  They know full well that UND means business, and they're a bit rattled that our Board of Higher Ed and Attorney General mean business too.  They never saw it coming, IMO... but they should have.  Idiots. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also think that the NCAA didn't anticipate the response it received from Kupchella. They probably thought they were doing him a big favor and expected him to act like it. Instead, he's very publicly led the charge against the NCAA.