SiouxSports.com Forum

Custom-made mascots

PCM

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While some people are going ballistic over this...

siouxhead.jpg

...you can go online and order this and this.

Dave the Brave?

Wigwam Willie?

Chief Abwatac?

And is the Spokane Indians' mascot somebody's idea of being sensitive to Native Americans?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why go ballistic? I'm sure I can go online and find something that would make everyone hate me, too, but why? I thought this place was to talk about the name. I would LOVE to see someone wear one of these for the homecoming parade, though. I triple dog dare you. Then we can meet, face to face.

Why go ballistic?  I'm sure I can go online and find something that would make everyone hate me, too, but why?  I thought this place was to talk about the name.  I would LOVE to see someone wear one of these for the homecoming parade, though.  I triple dog dare you.  Then we can meet, face to face.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're missing the point -- not that I'm surprised.

Why go ballistic?  I'm sure I can go online and find something that would make everyone hate me, too, but why?  I thought this place was to talk about the name.  I would LOVE to see someone wear one of these for the homecoming parade, though.  I triple dog dare you.  Then we can meet, face to face.

I think you are "unclear on the concept". PCM's point is that these are examples of mascots. Compare, if you will, those cartoons to what UND has for a logo and ask yourself if it is really "hostile and abusive".

I haven't yet seen or read or observed any evidence that it is. Nor have any points been made by opponents that reasonably explain how the logo causes harm. At worst, idiots that misuse the logo show symptoms of their own ignorance and racism. The logo itself is benign. I think the logo and nickname are convenient firebrands that activists can conveniently attack and feel that by doing so they are helping American Indians.

I disagree.

What's your point?  That there are stupid people out there?  I know that by going to school here at UND.....lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point was to make a comparison between UND's logo and the use of commercially available mascots that actually do represent racist stereotypes and mock Indian culture.

If this issue is so important to you, I would think that your time might be better spent on dealing with the schools, businesses and other institutions that actually use such mascots rather than UND, which has no mascot and uses a logo that presents the Sioux in a noble, dignified manner.

As an aside, is it possible for you to make a post without insulting someone?

I've seen a hockey game.  Your telling me that the Goalie's mask isn't made to look like an Indian?  yeah right.  But what we say doesn't matter, the SIOUX Nation has spoken.  All we can do is hang on for the ride,  It should be a pretty awesome ride, little bumpy, but we weren't called the FIGHTING SIOUX for nothing.

God forbid anyone try and emulate something they respect. One of my problems with nickname opponents is the insistence on dwelling on any possible negative rather than look at the positive.

You may get your wish, GK. The nickname may well go away. And in the long run, you'll find that it was wasted time, wasted angst.

I've seen a hockey game.  Your telling me that the Goalie's mask isn't made to look like an Indian?  yeah right.  But what we say doesn't matter, the SIOUX Nation has spoken.  All we can do is hang on for the ride,  It should be a pretty awesome ride, little bumpy, but we weren't called the FIGHTING SIOUX for nothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Weren't" called the Fighting Sioux? Last I checked we still are, and after hearing Phil Harmeson on the radio this morning, I'm more convinced than ever that we will be for years to come.

Why go ballistic? I'm sure I can go online and find something that would make everyone hate me, too, but why? I thought this place was to talk about the name. I would LOVE to see someone wear one of these for the homecoming parade, though. I triple dog dare you. Then we can meet, face to face.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I was around for homecoming, I would love to meet you face to face.

Wow, you sure are intimidating!

I wouldn't want to where a stupid costume though, well maybe the giant sperm costume would be OK.

Im sure the Norwegian descendants of the Vikings would love to be portrayed like this. Bottom left is the worst I think. Obviously the point of this site is to make goofy caricatures and "unflattering" masks and mascots. From this site, even the forks should be offended (considering they are being called sperm!).

Obviously the point of this site is to make goofy caricatures and "unflattering"  masks and mascots.  From this site, even the forks should be offended (considering they are being called sperm!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why the hell would someone pay for these things? They are expensive and where or when are you ever going to wear it? Just so stupid.

Im sure the Norwegian descendants of the Vikings would love to be portrayed like this.  Bottom left is the worst I think.  Obviously the point of this site is to make goofy caricatures and "unflattering"  masks and mascots.  From this site, even the forks should be offended (considering they are being called sperm!).

Have you ever heard about a Norwegian complaining about the Viking's mascot, Ragnar? Why do you suppose that is?

Why the hell would someone pay for these things? They are expensive and where or when are you ever going to wear it? Just so stupid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I happen to know that you've already placed your order for the Super Bunny mascot costume. :glare: