SiouxSports.com Forum

Custom-made mascots

PCM

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that is because all Norwegians still look like that. :huh: the snazzy hair (isnt it usually braided?) and pointy hat and all. However they forgot to have him eating Lefse. Maybe rowing a boat too. ;)???:glare::huh: (BTW did you know there is a limit to the number of emoticons you can use?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That, and most Norwegian-Americans don't have persecution complexes, and appreciate that sports teams such as the Minnesota Vikings and others are proud to identify themselves with some part of Norwegian-American heritage.

If the dakota indians are really so dead-set against our using the Sioux name as a source of school pride, why not ditch it and adopt a new name such as the Fighting Cavalry that reflects the history and culture of North Dakota's past by using a name that's no longer used by today's people, much like Vikings?

Red River HS has a similar name in Roughriders, and uses a caricature of Teddy Roosevelt as a logo/mascot. Exclusion of the Fighting Irish from the NCAA ruling suggests caricatures of white people aren't as offensive as indians, and the cavalry's long disbanded so won't likely complain.

John

GK,

Please answer my question as to why you chose the University of North Dakota to further your education.

Enquiring minds want to know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? This university is a good university. Not a great University. That will only happen when they do away w/ this controversial nickname/logo. When that happens, then they can grow exponentially.

Did you know that in all Tribal college magazines UND makes absolutely no mention of the FIGHTING SIOUX nickname/mascot? I wonder why that is? Is It to lure natives in that don't know what's going on up here (like me), or do they do it so that natives actually consider coming here?

Besides, if I'm not welcome here in ND, I wish people would come up to me face to face and tell me. Most of the people on this campus that I know are for change, but unfortunately we don't make those decisions, they are left up to RAAALLPH and the SBHE, and now the NCAA.

Is there a reason I shouldn't be here? I've spoken to many many students on this issue, in a very positive way. I've broken many stereotypes here on campus, like:

-Natives go to school here for free (which they don't)

-the Sioux gave UND the use to this name (which they didn't)

-All Natives get free money when they turn 18 (which they don't, some do, but not all)

-UND is honoring the Sioux (there is no on answer to this, but show me how they are "honoring" the Sioux, and I will tell you the truth behind that.)

I think she is asking why you remain here when you really don't have anything positive to say about the University. If someone came onto this board with no knowledge of North Dakota, UND, Native Americans, the nickname, etc. and read your posts, they would wonder why you would want to remain at UND because it doesn't seem like you enjoy the school.

No one here is saying you aren't welcome. Why are you always talking about physical confrontation with people who disagree with you or even ask you questions?

Most of the people on this campus that I know are for change, but unfortunately we don't make those decisions, they are left up to RAAALLPH and the SBHE, and now the NCAA.

Ralph didn't make the decision. He only influenced it.

The NCAA didn't make the decision. It's merely using coercive tactics to get the results it wants.

But the State Board of Higher Education is responsible for all state-run institutions of higher learning in North Dakota. It has the legal authority to make such decisions.

I think she is asking why you remain here when you really don't have anything positive to say about the University.  If someone came onto this board with no knowledge of North Dakota, UND, Native Americans, the nickname, etc. and read your posts, they would wonder why you would want to remain at UND because it doesn't seem like you enjoy the school.

No one here is saying you aren't welcome.  Why are you always talking about physical confrontation with people who disagree with you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am STILL here is because my better half is still going to school and I also spent so much damn money here that I need to at least get a diploma out of the deal. If those two reasons didn't exist, trust me, I'd be as far away from this Mosquito infested/potato smelling/frozen 80% of the time/Homogeneous place as I could get. Many of the instructors here are great instructors, but I'm willing to bet other Institutions have excellent instructors as well.

I am STILL here is because my better half is still going to school and I also spent so much damn money here that I need to at least get a diploma out of the deal.  If those two reasons didn't exist, trust me, I'd be as far away from this Mosquito infested/potato smelling/frozen 80% of the time/Homogeneous place as I could get.  Many of the instructors here are great instructors, but I'm willing to bet other Institutions have excellent instructors as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't let the door...

I hear Berkeley is pretty nice this time of year. And I'm sure you'd fit in real well there. :glare:

Why not?  This university is a good university.  Not a great University.
A good University? That's all we get? That's an answer that my fourth grader would respond to that question. I suspect that there is another reason that you came to the University of North Dakota.

Did you know that in all Tribal college magazines UND makes absolutely no mention of the FIGHTING SIOUX nickname/mascot?  I wonder why that is?

Do you mean to tell me that you had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that the University of North Dakota's nickname was the Fighting Sioux, and you found out after you arrived on campus? If so, maybe you should have done a little homework before you chose the University. We have no mascot. And if ithe nickname and logo are so offensive why did you stay after you found that out? One trip to the University's website and you would have EASILY found that out.

Is It to lure natives in that don't know what's going on up here (like me), or do they do it so that natives actually consider coming here? 
Yes, that's it, it's a great big conspiracy. :glare: They hide the nickname so no one knows what it is.

Besides, if I'm not welcome here in ND, I wish people would come up to me face to face and tell me. 

Who said you weren't welcome here? You're the one complaining about the place everyday. We just wanna know why you stay if Grand Forks and the University of North Dakota are such a God-awful places to be.

Most of the people on this campus that I know are for change
Most of the people on campus that I know are against the change.

Is there a reason I shouldn't be here?

Again, who said you weren't welcome here? You're the one complaining about the place everyday. We just wanna know why you stay if Grand Forks and the University of North Dakota are such a God-awful places to be.

I've spoken to many many students on this issue, in a very positive way. 
By threatening them like you threaten us on this board?

I'd be as far away from this Mosquito infested/potato smelling/frozen 80% of the time/Homogeneous place as I could get.

I think that's my favorite post about Grand Forks that you have left us so far. If you hate this place so bad, I would put money on it that your "better half" would be willing to leave with you.

Many of the instructors here are great instructors, but I'm willing to bet other Institutions have excellent instructors as well.

So go find that out, and come back and tell us how it went.

And this is just FYI, I searched "the university of north dakota" on AOL's search engine, and I got this:

"The University of North Dakota | Grand Forks, North Dakota

Home of the Fighting Sioux, The University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, North Dakota, invites you to learn more about the campus. "

There's no reason that you couldn't have learned about the name before you came here.

Come on GK.  Make a difference that will be both meaningful and lasting.  You cannot seriously claim, with a straight face, that the change of a University team name will make any difference in your life or the lives of others.  Education.  Jobs.  Money.  Progress.  None are even remotely related to burying the Fighting Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but it pisses off Whitey, and that's what truly motivates him.

There's no reason that you couldn't have learned about the name before you came here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If nobody knows about the protest marches on campus, how can they be expected to know about UND's use of the Fighting Sioux name and logo? :glare:???