SiouxSports.com Forum

Custom-made mascots

PCM

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had to check in here to state that I am Scandinavian and Irish, I am represented in the NFL by a Norse warrior and in the NC$$ by a leprechaun with his fists up and I do not feel offended by either and I feel that the portrayals of both are less than flattering but I am proud of both sides of my ethnic background AND I AM KNOWLEDGABLE OF BOTH OF THOSE BACKGROUNDS. I don't sit and obsess on this; there are bigger things in life. Look at what is going on in the world today, Iraq, Louisiana, Mississippi. I see the wounded coming down from up north, I have been riveted to the TV the last couple of days when I am not working watching the coverage of the devastation from Katrina and it amazes me that there is so much energy expended on this. Does it matter the ethnic background of the soldier that gets killed or wounded trying to establish order in Iraq? Do the people in Biloxi care what the mascot of the college the aid worker attended was? If a certain person has so much time on his hands instead of complaining about something simply for the fact of complaining and creating drama, get out there and start a fund raiser for hurricane relief. If you don

This is a bit off subject, but I think it pertains to the overall discussion.

A couple of years ago, I was in East Grand and went to Whitey's. I hadn't been there, or at least the bar knows at Whitey's since before the flood.

I had a few beers with my brother and on my way staggering out bought a "Whitey's" T-shirt. It was blue with a bit old white lettered "Whitey's" logo on the shirt with all the other information in small print. I didn't think too much of it when I bought it, going to school in the area and being so familiar with that bar. (To the detriment of my grades! :D )

Anyway, I get home to Colorado, put that shirt on and was heading out the door when my neighbor looked at it and said "Where did you get that shirt?" I told him about the bar in the old college town. He looked at it, wasn't offended, but pointed out that the shirt's logo may not be understood by certain people.

Well, to make a long story short, I thought it over and decided to just wear that shirt on my trips to the Grand Forks region and doing yardwork or in the neighborhood where folks know me. Sounds wierd, but I am a bit nervous wearing that shirt elsewhere.

What do you guys think? Personally, I just didn't want any potential problem from wearing that shirt, .

In the meantime, anytime I wear my Sioux jerseys I get nothing but compliments anywhere I go in Colorado.

This is a bit off subject, but I think it pertains to the overall discussion.

A couple of years ago, I was in East Grand and went to Whitey's.  I hadn't been there, or at least the bar knows at Whitey's  since before the flood.

I had a few beers with my brother and on my way staggering out bought a "Whitey's" T-shirt.  It was blue with a bit old white lettered "Whitey's" logo on the shirt with all the other information in small print.  I didn't think too much of it when I bought it, going to school in the area and being so familiar with that bar. (To the detriment of my grades!  :D )

Anyway, I get home to Colorado, put that shirt on and was heading out the door when my neighbor looked at it and said "Where did you get that shirt?"  I told him about the bar in the old college town.  He looked at it, wasn't offended, but pointed out that the shirt's logo may not be understood by certain people. 

Well, to make a long story short, I thought it over and decided to just wear that shirt on my trips to the Grand Forks region and doing yardwork or in the neighborhood where folks know me.  Sounds wierd, but I am a bit nervous wearing that shirt elsewhere. 

What do you guys think?  Personally, I just didn't want any potential problem from wearing that shirt, . 

In the meantime, anytime I wear my Sioux jerseys I get nothing but compliments anywhere I go in Colorado.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Fighting Whites were an intramural basketball team from the University of Northern Colorado.

http://www.cafepress.com/fightinwhite

OK, now you've done it. I read often but rarely post (once actually). But talk of Viking mascots in an earlier post has gotten me wound up! It's time to let the world know how really offended I am over the Hagar the Horrible comic strip. Talk about hostile and abusive! He fights, he pillages, he drinks a lot of beer! What to do? What to do? Ask the Sons of Norway to draft a resolution to stop the distribution of such hate filled offensive material?

Wait a minute! I'm German, not Norwegian! Never Mind!!!

(Don't get me started on Hogans Heroes) :D