SiouxSports.com Forum

Weston Dressler

crosby_87

I saw the kid play a few times when he played for Bismarck in high school. Does anyone else think he deserves a shot at being the featured running back. At BHS i believe he averaged something like 9.3 yards per carry, and he had over 2000 yards rushing and around 40(?) touchdowns. Every time he touched the ball there was a buzz that he might take it all the way, because he could absolutely fly. I think he could be a great college running back, even for his size. If he's got good enough vision to be a first team all american punt returner, you would think he has the tools to be their best running back. I know he's the starting wide receiver, but i think he would be more useful at running back. Any opinions on whether or not he should/could be the featured back?

I saw the kid play a few times when he played for Bismarck in high school. Does anyone else think he deserves a shot at being the featured running back. At BHS i believe he averaged something like 9.3 yards per carry, and he had over 2000 yards rushing and around 40(?) touchdowns. Every time he touched the ball there was a buzz that he might take it all the way, because he could absolutely fly. I think he could be a great college running back, even for his size. If he's got good enough vision to be a first team all american punt returner, you would think he has the tools to be their best running back. I know he's the starting wide receiver, but i think he would be more useful at running back. Any opinions on whether or not he should/could be the featured back?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Dressler doesn't have the body to take the punishment that his body would take being the featured back.

No, Dressler doesn't have the body to take the punishment that his body would take being the featured back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree there. While he is small, he is also extremely strong and tough. He handled it his whole senior year, and I don't ever remember hearing about any injuries with him, so I definetely think his body would be up to it.

I think he is to small to be the featured back. Playing football in big time D2 is a lot different then North Dakota high school football. I would say he deserved a shot if he had those stats in states like Texas, California, Florida or even Colorado but North Dakota high school football is irrelevant because it isn't that competitive in the sense of having a lot of big time athletes. Yes he is a good athlete there is no question about it, but I saw all of the games last year and a lot of those punt returns anyone they put back there could have got a bunch of yards on them. UND has always had a good punt return team. If you remember from the year before Luek had a lot of success also and the return team pretty much had the same guys blocking. The only significant change was the returner and the results were the same except Luek had more for touchdowns, so I would give the credit to the blockers. I haven't seen anything spectacular that has set him apart to be given the oppertunity to be the featured back. Again he is a great athlete. I would like to see him move back to running back because I don't think he is a very good receiver. I think he could help us a lot more at running back not as the featured back but as a third down back or someone who gets 5 or 6 carries a game. And lastly about the injury factor I beleive he was hurt for the beginning of last year (not positive so correct me if wrong)

I agree with you in a sense that he needs to be back at running back. All I was getting at is they should start him with just a handful of carries a game and see what he does. If he shows he deserves more then give him more. I don't think he is ready to be the feature back, but I do think he should be at running back and not receiver. I don't know the stats off hand you could be right but were most of those runs reverses or at the end of games against second team defenses.

I agree with you in a sense that he needs to be back at running back.  All I was getting at is they should start him with just a handful of carries a game and see what he does.  If he shows he deserves more then give him more.  I don't think he is ready to be the feature back, but I do think he should be at running back and not receiver.  I don't know the stats off hand you could be right but were most of those runs reverses or at the end of games against second team defenses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know when the carries were, i just found the stats. He had 10 carries for 67 yards for a 6.7 yard average. Yes i know thats only 10 carries, but thats still an impressive average. He even had a run of 27 yards in one of his 10 carries, although that could possibly have been against a 2nd team defense. Good idea on the give him a few carries, and see how it goes.

I think he is to small to be the featured back.  Playing football in big time D2 is a lot different then North Dakota high school football.  I would say he deserved a shot if he had those stats in states like Texas, California, Florida or even Colorado but North Dakota high school football is irrelevant because it isn't that competitive in the sense of having a lot of big time athletes.  Yes he is a good athlete there is no question about it, but I saw all of the games last year and a lot of those punt returns anyone they put back there could have got a bunch of yards on them.  UND has always had a good punt return team.  If you remember from the year before Luek had a lot of success also and the return team pretty much had the same guys blocking.  The only significant change was the returner and the results were the same except Luek had more for touchdowns, so I would give the credit to the blockers.  I haven't seen anything spectacular that has set him apart to be given the oppertunity to be the featured back.  Again he is a great athlete.  I would like to see him move back to running back because I don't think he is a very good receiver.  I think he could help us a lot more at running back not as the featured back but as a third down back or someone who gets 5 or 6 carries a game.  And lastly about the injury factor I beleive he was hurt for the beginning of last year (not positive so correct me if wrong)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't make the mistake of discounting the quality of football in North Dakota. Considering the population of N.Dak. it is pretty good. What Dressler has is speed. I saw the same games last year and his speed is what sets him apart. You have to catch him to hit him and addition to being fast he is quick. I think he could play RB and he is going to be a great receiver. I would use him where ever they can get the ball in his hands. Maybe both. I think both Strouth and Beatty had good games Sat. didnt' they?

North Dakota football is terrible compared to most states. Yes, we've had a few athletes make it big. But if you actually look at the percentages of kids that actually go play major college football, its very low. States are much further ahead as far as the weight room goes and their off season programs go well.

2nd thing about Dressler. Don't you think he's a product within the system? I'll give him the fact that he put up amazing statistics there at Bismark, but there's been a good handful of running back's have also went on to put up really good numbers within Bismark's system. There was a running back who played back in 2000-2001 who put up huge numbers, but he never went onto play major college football. They have a running back right now who's been putting up big numbers.

Also, when was the last time UND had a 5ft 7 guy be their feature back? UND generally has used running backs who can pound the ball. Dressler isn't a guy who is going to be able to pound the ball.

2nd thing about Dressler.  Don't you think he's a product within the system?  I'll give him the fact that he put up amazing statistics there at Bismark, but there's been a good handful of running back's have also went on to put up really good numbers within Bismark's system.  There was a running back who played back in 2000-2001 who put up huge numbers, but he never went onto play major college football.  They have a running back right now who's been putting up big numbers. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to make a statement to this here. I went to BHS during 2000-2001, and i think you're talking about Kinnischitzke? He was good, but nowhere near where Weston was in high school. Weston put up his stats while playing basically only the first half(and some third quarters) all year until the championship game, because the team was so dominant on offense. I just think Weston could be a great UND running back.

I guess irrelevant wasn't the right word. I am trying to say it is hard to judge because you don't know what kind of competition he went against, since nd isn't that strong. not to offend anybody that is from north dakota. I am from the west coast and I have seen high school football from all over thats all. But back on subject. I would like him to go back to running back and see what he could do. and hopefully prove me wrong about north dakota high school football players. I also would like to see anthony longe return kicks. I heard he was on scout offense last year and was very quick.

North Dakota football is terrible compared to most states.  Yes, we've had a few athletes make it big.  But if you actually look at the percentages of kids that actually go play major college football, its very low.  States are much further ahead as far as the weight room goes and their off season programs go well. 

2nd thing about Dressler.  Don't you think he's a product within the system?  I'll give him the fact that he put up amazing statistics there at Bismark, but there's been a good handful of running back's have also went on to put up really good numbers within Bismark's system.  There was a running back who played back in 2000-2001 who put up huge numbers, but he never went onto play major college football.  They have a running back right now who's been putting up big numbers. 

Also, when was the last time UND had a 5ft 7 guy be their feature back?  UND generally has used running backs who can pound the ball.  Dressler isn't a guy who is going to be able to pound the ball.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I happen to live in Texas and ND football is not terrible. They pump a lot more time and money into the programs down here but the overall disipline of the players seems to be a lot better in ND. I would take an average ND offensive line over 90% of the offensive lines I see in high schools down here. The biggest difference is speed, Lot's of athletes, and lot's of speed in Texas but I bet Dressler would have had big numbers in Texas High School football if he had grown up here. His numbers likely wouldn't have been as good as they were in ND, but he is obviously a player.

I think UND should give him some carries, just to see what he can do. It would be stupid to get him hurt so he can't return punts and kicks, as well as make plays at WR when you already have some very capable RB's that can handle the job.

I'd like to see Dressler be given time at RB but after Strouth graduates. I'd think he'd be dangerous if they put him in the backfield in 3 and 4 WR sets. Basically, I'd like to see the coaching staff figure ways to get the ball in his hands more. Granted they started out as DBs who returned kicks but Ted Ginn (Ohio State) and Devin Hester (Miami) made their offenses more effective and dangerous when their coaching staffs gave them more touches as the year went on.

If you want to compare him to some other college RB's, Darren Sproyles and Quentin Griffin are two more small backs that were able to stand the hits of being a featured back.

They should spread him around use him in a bunch of different ways. Remeber the Viks in 98 how they would put Palmer every where. Sometimes he would even take the snap from the shot gunn.

My point is utilize his speed and talents. Put him in the back field and toss him the ball. Run the option and have him pitch back. Run reverses. Screens passes. He is fun to watch. Use him like Notre Dame use to use the Rocket. He is the NORTH DAKOTA ROCKET.

I'd like to see Dressler be given time at RB but after Strouth graduates.  I'd think he'd be dangerous if they put him in the backfield in 3 and 4 WR sets.  Basically, I'd like to see the coaching staff figure ways to get the ball in his hands more.  Granted they started out as DBs who returned kicks but Ted Ginn (Ohio State) and Devin Hester (Miami) made their offenses more effective and dangerous when their coaching staffs gave them more touches as the year went on.

If you want to compare him to some other college RB's, Darren Sproyles and Quentin Griffin are two more small backs that were able to stand the hits of being a featured back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One huge difference between Sproles and Griffin versus Weston Dressler. Weston Dressler is 5ft 6 160 pounds!!!!!!!! Show me a legit half back playing d1 or d2 football thats 5ft 6 160. Sproles and Griffin were both built like trucks and could take loads of punishment because of their stature. They were certainly thicker and much more built then Dressler ever will be. Dressler isn't thick in the least bit and his body would struggle to take the punishment of even divison 2 football to play running back. Don't you think there is a reason why Lennon uses Dressler at Wide out and returns? Don't you honestly think if he thought Dressler could have played RB at UND he would have made the switch by now? Look at UND's roster for running backs. None of them are 160 pounds. Look at how NDSU uses Shamen Washington. Same exact type of players. But for the same reason as Dressler, Shamen will never be a feature back. Absolutely electric on returns and when used in certain formations, he's very effective at making plays. But certainly not at taking the punishment of an everyday back.