SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Not really related to the name/logo issue, but a shining example of how the NC$$ gives bigger, "name" schools a pass, while meting out punishment to smaller schools.

Linky

Same article:

Walter Harrison, the president of the University of Hartford and chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Academic Performance, said the reduction of scholarships is meant to be a "tough warning."

How'd I know that name would pop up again too.

.....latest example of how the NCAA practices selective enforcement, making examples of less recognizable schools while bigger programs operate without penalty.

Hmm, this sounds so familiar. Let's see now, who has been given exemptions for the use of Indian nickname and mascot use and who has been denied? :blink:

Woo hoo!!!! I can't wait until this issue is argued in court. :lol:

Hmm, this sounds so familiar. Let's see now, who has been given exemptions for the use of Indian nickname and mascot use and who has been denied? :blink:

Woo hoo!!!! I can't wait until this issue is argued in court. :lol:

It gets even better.

Linky II

None of the football teams from the six Bowl Championship Series conferences will lose scholarships. Nearly half of all Division I college football teams are near or below a roughly 60 percent graduation rate. The teams that were not penalized received or were awaiting word on waivers, or received temporary statistical adjustments from the N.C.A.A. because of small sample sizes.
And ...

Myles Brand, president of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, acknowledged during a teleconference his concern about how the results appear to single out historically black institutions, saying, "A number of those institutions received mission exemptions, but there are a number of institutions that are still not performing as well for student-athletes as they are for the rest of the student body."

Way to dance on the head of a pin, Myles. :lol:

I'm starting to find those phrases bothersome, even if they are quotes of GrahamKracker.

We have seen what GrahamKracker has proven himself to be. There's no need to keep rolling the evidence out.

There's no need to sully yourself with those words even if they are quoting another.

Leave the despicable characterizations for GrahamKracker to keep using (as he was the first).

I'm starting to find those phrases bothersome, even if they are quotes of GrahamKracker.

We have seen what GrahamKracker has proven himself to be. There's no need to keep rolling the evidence out.

There's no need to sully yourself with those words even if they are quoting another.

Leave the despicable characterizations for GrahamKracker to keep using (as he was the first).

I agree wholeheartedly. We know what GK is about. Let's make sure that we don't sink to that level.

From SI.com:

Indian nicknames become non-issue in this year's tournament

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Chief Illiniwek will stay home, as usual, when the University of Illinois plays in the NCAA tournament this week. Bradley will continue wearing its script "Braves'' moniker on its jerseys.
In stark contrast to the uproar created in August when NCAA officials announced they would ban the use of Indian nicknames, mascots and images at its championship events, you'd hardly know the policy existed when the governing body's premier event is played this week.

But even though there will be no detectable changes in this year's tournament, NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson insists the impact of the original decision has been significant.
"We believe the process has worked the way it was intended to,'' he said Tuesday. "There was an extensive review, and there was an appeals process as part of the decision, so it's been progressing.''

One school not subject to the penalty was San Diego State, nicknamed the Aztecs, which also hosts first and second-round games this week and faces Indiana on Thursday night in Salt Lake City.

Christianson explained the decision pertained only to American Indians, and the Aztecs were a tribe that called its primary home in what is now known as Mexico.

Amazing. ??? I could have sworn that the NCAA news release said:

INDIANAPOLIS -- The presidents and chancellors who serve on the NCAA Executive Committee have adopted a new policy to prohibit NCAA colleges and universities from displaying hostile and abusive racial/ethnic/national origin mascots, nicknames or imagery at any of the 88 NCAA championships.

And that Walter Harrison, president of the NCAA Executive Committe, said:

"But as a national association, we believe that mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control."

So where, exactly, is it written that the NCAA policy pertains "only to American Indians"? ;) And if that's true, why does Indiana get to play in the tournament?

But even though there will be no detectable changes in this year's tournament, NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson insists the impact of the original decision has been significant.

Which means: "We've paid a whole boatload of legal fees to outside lawyers to tell us that we should never make idiotic decisions under the influence of tofu salad and wine spritzers. Woo boy, it got really wild that day when Myles later did his impression of Jimmy Stewart and then passed out in his decaf latte." ???;)

Newsday columnist Shaun Powell:

NCAA's run afoul on Bradley Braves

Some schools later received a pass, but Bradley, which plays top-seeded Memphis tonight in the Oakland Regional semifinals, remains on the unapproved list. The Braves are using their nickname in this tourney only because their case is under appeal. Truthfully, as far as the NCAA is concerned, Bradley has no nickname.
The NCAA's policy is woefully inconsistent.

"Clearly, no Native American tribe owns the word 'braves' in the same way it owns the name of a tribe," explained the NCAA's Bernard Franklin when Bradley's first appeal was made, "and therefore [bradley] cannot overcome the position that the use of such a name leads to a hostile or abusive environment."

Actually, the NCAA is walking down a slippery slope because not every member of every ethnic group thinks alike.

The NCAA is trying to tell all Native Americans what's good for them, when in reality, nobody can take the pulse of an entire group or race.

From the Dakota Student:

Diversity groups protest Sioux logo

Despite cold weather and criticism from passersby, B.R.I.D.G.E.S. holds a protest during the West Regional

This past weekend, the Ralph Engelstad Arena hosted the NCAA West Regional hockey tournament. Earlier in the week, they removed the "Fighting Sioux" logos from center ice. Despite the REA's decision to do so, a small group of people from the UND community gathered outside the arena to protest the nickname and logo.
Despite the curse words and obscene gestures, the group continued waving and smiling. "It's horrible, it's bad tonight. But we're not going to be hostile like that," said Merry Ketterling, a Lakota elder. "I just think we have got to do something. And what else can we do? There's just a few of us here tonight, but I think we're representing a lot more people," she said.

What maybe the saddest deal of all in this nickname deal, was that only 4 people stood outside. Now if I am not mistaken there was 12K in the Ralph that night and only four people protesting, something isn't right. The comment in the Dak Student about this being a racism topic is amazing (no more ugly of a word exists). The conversion that is highlighted in the article about the runner left me with many questions. First the comments about this jogger wanting to be a Sioux and being proad of this honor to be very respectful though the response was a little strange - 'Me too'. Somehow is he not PROUD to be a Sioux if UND has 'his' name? During this conversation with the Sioux member; was it metioned that his people are a proud people and that they didn't feel the Sioux logo represents them in a good light and the reason why(open ended for who ever may know more about this conversation). It seems as if the artical focused towards scholarships and anger. Also, was Lapointe the only Sioux member protesting??? Referring to the Eagle feathers, he was the only Sioux who could have these feathers that he had met that evening? Overall I thought the article was written by a highschool senior that could NOT get to the heart of the topic - though this is just my opinion!

Everyone loves a (cheating) winner - especially the NCAA

The above article is not about the nickname - but it does expose the NCAA for what it is: an organization that protects the big names (UCLA, Alabama football, etc), but chooses to be self-righteous about the little guys who have no political power:

Bill Walton: "UCLA players were so well taken care of

Here's the NCAA story on the Frozen Four.

Note that Boston College is the Eagles, Maine is the Black Bears and Wisconsin is the Badgers. UND is North Dakota.

Ironically, this Web page opens with a Pontiac ad at the top featuring the company's arrowhead logo. Also ironic is the fact that while "Sioux" is derived from a French word, "Dakota" is an Indian word, and so is "Pontiac."

Obviously, the hypocrisy of it all is lost on Myles Brand and Walter Harrison.

From the Grand Forks Herald:

VIEWPOINT: Racism at protest shames UND

I have committed my life to dealing with harmful and negative stereotypes and educating students on my reservation of their culture, traditions, ceremonies and spirituality. As Native people, we experience layer upon layer of stereotypes and images that dehumanize. Eurocentric curriculum and children's literature reinforce stereotypes of the "vanishing Indian," "romantic Indian," "militant Indian" or "drunken Indian." I have seen firsthand how these images, along with poverty or low socioeconomic status, generational trauma and other issues of reservation life contribute to low self-esteem in Native students.

Despite these issues and because we have Native teachers, social workers, counselors, administrators and tribal leaders taking care of important things, we have many successful students enrolling at UND. The trouble is, Native students continue to be bombarded by negative stereotypical images perpetrated by the Fighting Sioux logo once they arrive on campus.

Standing silently with a small group of students, the first comment I heard yelled from a passing vehicle was, "Go back to where you came from!" This comment was followed by yells of "F

Again, no explanation of how using the Fighting Sioux nickname is causing people to have these "racist and stereotypical" attitudes.

I'm always ashamed to hear of these situations where nickname supporters react with a lack of class or vulgarity. That behavior clouds the discussion on the real issue. Does the nickname cause this attitude or not. I still say no, and I've not read anything that says otherwise.

Phil Jackson says that if some people are offended, then the nickname should be changed. Well, is it the nickname that's really offending people? That hasn't yet been connected, IMO. So why do the rest of us have to change something that may not really be an issue.

The lesson here is that there will always be people who are idiots and people who are racist idiots. They didn't become idiots and racists because of the Sioux nickname or logo, and they're not going to stop being idiots and racists if the name and logo change.

Exactly.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Grand Forks Herald:

NICKNAME CONTROVERSY: A 'very, very hard case'

Lawsuit: Sports law expert says legal precedent would be in the NCAA's favor; North Dakota attorney general disagrees

Early indications are that UND will take its denied Fighting Sioux appeal to court, but one sports law expert says legal precedent would be in the NCAA's favor.
"These are very, very hard cases to sustain in the courts," said Paul Haagen, a law professor at Duke University.

Stenehjem declined to discuss specifics on the issue but said UND would have a good chance of winning.

"I wouldn't bring legal action if I thought we were going to lose," he said.

Stenehjem said he will be meeting with Kupchella and North Dakota University System Chancellor Robert Potts in the next few weeks to decide if a lawsuit will be filed.

Hagen is the same sports law expert the Herald talked to for a previous story on this subject in which he said the same thing. There's no mention of the fact that he's testified on the NCAA's behalf in at least one anti-trust suit that was settled out of court. Nobody should think that Stenehjem's comments are based on his opinion alone. There are other excellent legal minds outside of North Dakota who agree with him.

Edited by PCM

"As a national association, we believe that mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control," Walter Harrison, chair of the NCAA's Executive Committee, said after UND was first put on the list.

If this is there position then all nicknames should be gone. IE Fighting Irish