SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Most of us were not here when it happened. I got here in the fall of 1993.

The PC Police wants them tar and feathered.

Why can't some people just understand that some people are aholes and most people are not. Fourwinds I think you need to walk it off a little bit.

Does anyone know if any action was taken against those students?

For exercising their free speech? I don't think so. I was at that parade and the conduct was deplorable and outrageous. In the USA, however, people do have the right to behave like racist jerks. People do have the right to put an offensive sign on their lawn if they so choose. People have the right to use the N word. The reflection is on those people. To have done something to them would have just invited lawsuits. Those people should be shunned, for sure. If there was a picture of them, it should be circulated to employers so that those employers are apprized of the conduct.

The PC Police wants them tar and feathered.

Why can't some people just understand that some people are aholes and most people are not. Fourwinds I think you need to walk it off a little bit.

Just asked a question, didn't need a smarta$$ answer. Some other posters asked me why I didn't report the racial incidents when I was at school and this answers I got to my question pretty much confirm why I didn't report.

Just asked a question, didn't need a smarta$$ answer. Some other posters asked me why I didn't report the racial incidents when I was at school and this answers I got to my question pretty much confirm why I didn't report.

I would still be interested in hearing about racially motivated incidents that happened to you at UND. If you're hesitant to do so because people may call you a liar, or that you've exaggerated what had happened, you shouldn't worry about those people. You were there, you know what happened, and I am interested in hearing what happened.

I would still be interested in hearing about racially motivated incidents that happened to you at UND. If you're hesitant to do so because people may call you a liar, or that you've exaggerated what had happened, you shouldn't worry about those people. You were there, you know what happened, and I am interested in hearing what happened.

Well, lets see, I don't know how many times I was asked if I got my check. many, non natives beleive we all get checks, which is false. More than one time I heard the stereotypical iniand sound made by tapping your mouth and holloring, if you understand what I am saying. One time I attempted to throw a pop can in the garbage can on the wing in West hall but missed. I was told by one of the guys on the floor to pick it up cause "this wasn't the rez". I walked into the suite area of one of the rooms on my floor and heard one of the guys ask my roommate if he was worried about the cleanliness of our room because of me. There are other incidence, those are just a few.

Well, lets see, I don't know how many times I was asked if I got my check. many, non natives beleive we all get checks, which is false. More than one time I heard the stereotypical iniand sound made by tapping your mouth and holloring, if you understand what I am saying. One time I attempted to throw a pop can in the garbage can on the wing in West hall but missed. I was told by one of the guys on the floor to pick it up cause "this wasn't the rez". I walked into the suite area of one of the rooms on my floor and heard one of the guys ask my roommate if he was worried about the cleanliness of our room because of me. There are other incidence, those are just a few.

Have no doubt your experiences are true. But having briefly read some of this thread, you seem to want to put UND on trial for a few of bad experiences that happened at UND. If you want to stick it to UND on the nickname issue because you feel you had some unfortunate experiences by a FEW at UND, that really is vindictive and nothing more. You have every right to be upset with your treatment by some at UND but UND didn't treat you badly. Students at UND did. Apples and oranges, but from your posts you definitely have a distain for UND the university. Don't get that part of it?

And how does the nickname impact those things? How did the nickname contribute to causing those things? How does the fact that white people say the nickname and wear clothing with the image reinforce the negative feelings you experienced then?

And how does the nickname impact those things? How did the nickname contribute to causing those things? How does the fact that white people say the nickname and wear clothing with the image reinforce the negative feelings you experienced then?

one important thing that I want to stress is that unless you have had these experiences and walked in my shoes you will never, ever be able to know what it feels like. Until you can do that, this dialogue we are having is pointless and neverending.

OK first ofI am just saying that what should have happened to those ignorant students. I did nowhere agree with them, do I. I am just saying the punishment should fit the crime. Seven weeks ago I was hit by a drunk driver that was 3 times the legal limit and it was his 3rd dui in 5 years. OH and my 2 and a half year old was in my car with me. What should his punishment be. I think it should be shift and harsh but that won't happen. My question still remains Fourwinds what would have been appropriate?

one important thing that I want to stress is that unless you have had these experiences and walked in my shoes you will never, ever be able to know what it feels like. Until you can do that, this dialogue we are having is pointless and neverending.

I guess when it comes to racism, I don't feel that a dialogue is ever pointless. To me that would be like saying it was pointless for Sherman Alexie to have written all of his short stories.

Unfortunately, the remarks made to you on the UND campus aren't exclusive to universities that use Native American names. Changing the names wont stop racist remarks. I bet NA students that attended NDSU probably have had similar situations occur to them.

I guess when it comes to racism, I don't feel that a dialogue is ever pointless. To me that would be like saying it was pointless for Sherman Alexie to have written all of his short stories.

Unfortunately, the remarks made to you on the UND campus aren't exclusive to universities that use Native American names. Changing the names wont stop racist remarks. I bet NA students that attended NDSU probably have had similar situations occur to them.

I think that there should be an open diallogue about racism. We as a country can't fix what is not talked about.

One has to be able to simply identify the nexus between the nickname and racist incidents. One does not have to walk in your shoes to understand a simple causal connection between the nickname and racist incidents. Saying that the nickname causes such things is akin to saying that "I smoked and got lung cancer because I saw a kid wearing a Joe Camel t-shirt."

one important thing that I want to stress is that unless you have had these experiences and walked in my shoes you will never, ever be able to know what it feels like. Until you can do that, this dialogue we are having is pointless and never ending.

What you're saying is that unless the name is changed there is no reason for any more talking. Basically it isn't a dialog but you lecturing us and telling us how bad of people we are. All the while you have no idea who we are or what kind of people we are. Your only making inferences, most of which aren't very close to being on the mark or accurate.

I would recommend that basically you would be more happy probably not posting here any more because it would appear from your opinion none of us are enlightened enough to have a conversation with you. Personally I/we are still waiting for you to give us the incident(s) that you claim happen to you. Maybe we would be able to shed some light on your perspective. Other than that you seem like a bitter angry person that can't wait to stick it to the man.

Lastly, I would never approve of these racial incident you say happened to you. All the people that I know would never commit one of these things/incidents that you say happened to you... Finally, not every look, comment, incident, perceived action or act directed your way is a reflection of the Fighting Sioux name or the Logo. Some of this stuff is just people being stupid. These things will be here long after the Fighting Sioux name is gone and dead. I personally wonder what the ANTI-name people are going to blame this on after the name is gone?

The name changing will prove or solve nothing.

I know a guy who is has two daughters of NA decent (who are standing rock Sioux) and he is more worried of what is going to happened when the name is changed. This guy thinks his daughters might face a hostility because of the name changing.

The Parade incident was in the early 1990's but I didn't want to interupt you while you were saying some good things. Sorry...

Wait a minute.... Greek Life... doing something stupid... something racist... That NEVER happens! :glare:

Sorry guys, but it seems like this issue, despite my getting the date wrong, seems to point to GREEK LIFE rather than to UND itself.

Then again, I've never been a strong proponent of UND doing anything even halfway in support of Greek Life. It's not coincidence that a good percentage of the stupidist, most racist, most shocking events that occur on a college campus happen in Greek houses or by members of the Greek community... Follow the trend, boys.

Wait a minute.... Greek Life... doing something stupid... something racist... That NEVER happens! :glare:

Sorry guys, but it seems like this issue, despite my getting the date wrong, seems to point to GREEK LIFE rather than to UND itself.

That incident in question is a direct result of the Fighting Sioux logo.

What you're saying is that unless the name is changed there is no reason for any more talking. Basically it isn't a dialog but you lecturing us and telling us how bad of people we are. All the while you have no idea who we are or what kind of people we are. Your only making inferences, most of which aren't very close to being on the mark or accurate.

I would recommend that basically you would be more happy probably not posting here any more because it would appear from your opinion none of us are enlightened enough to have a conversation with you. Personally I/we are still waiting for you to give us the incident(s) that you claim happen to you. Maybe we would be able to shed some light on your perspective. Other than that you seem like a bitter angry person that can't wait to stick it to the man.

Lastly, I would never approve of these racial incident you say happened to you. All the people that I know would never commit one of these things/incidents that you say happened to you... Finally, not every look, comment, incident, perceived action or act directed your way is a reflection of the Fighting Sioux name or the Logo. Some of this stuff is just people being stupid. These things will be here long after the Fighting Sioux name is gone and dead. I personally wonder what the ANTI-name people are going to blame this on after the name is gone?

The name changing will prove or solve nothing.

I know a guy who is has two daughters of NA decent (who are standing rock Sioux) and he is more worried of what is going to happened when the name is changed. This guy thinks his daughters might face a hostility because of the name changing.

Goon ,look up toward the top of the page by the post written by dead-rabbit.

"Lazy Mexican", "Beaner", "Wet back", "Dirty Spic", etc. Heard them all and more as a kid and as an adult. Who do I blame? The racist pig who utters the insults in anger or in jest. Do I blame the world because of the ignorance of a few? No. Did a racist or group of racist keep me from anything I wanted to do or anything I wanted to accomplish? No. Do I think that they should ban the 'Magnificent Seven' because of the way Mexicans are protrayed? No. Should we ban Taco John's or Taco Bell? No.

There is no one better than I am. There is nothing or no one but to stop me from reaching/achieving my dreams but me.

"Lazy Mexican", "Beaner", "Wet back", "Dirty Spic", etc. Heard them all and more as a kid and as an adult. Who do I blame? The racist pig who utters the insults in anger or in jest. Do I blame the world because of the ignorance of a few? No. Did a racist or group of racist keep me from anything I wanted to do or anything I wanted to accomplish? No. Do I think that they should ban the 'Magnificent Seven' because of the way Mexicans are protrayed? No. Should we ban Taco John's or Taco Bell? No.

There is no one better than I am. There is nothing or no one but to stop me from reaching/achieving my dreams but me.

Don't even joke about banning Taco Bell;)

Goon, look up toward the top of the page by the post written by dead-rabbit.

What is your point? No one has called you a liar. Personally I am taking Sioux-Cia's approach you're going to be on ignore mode.

Changing the names wont stop racist remarks. I bet NA students that attended NDSU probably have had similar situations occur to them.

No one has called anyone a liar; we are still looking for some actual EVIDENCE of this stuff is happening. Of course All we have seen is this tap dance.

sometimes when someone has hurt my feelings, dan can help

and if it's been a really long day, I go with the flash

• 2 weeks later...
"Lazy Mexican" ............ the way Mexicans are protrayed?

I'm currently in law school in Southern California and there are "Mexican" or Latin American students in the upper level classes that will be completing their Juris Doctorate degrees.

However for many "Mexican" students there is very noticable evidence of academic underachievement. There may be many excuses for this such as language or cultural barriers, or poor schools. But there is a prevalent and noticable lack of motivation (lazy?), especially in the middle grades to high school. Too often Mexican American students drop out of school and do not go on to college.

It is so true that there is no one to stop you but yourself. One of the first truths I learned in law school is that 2/3rds of the students do drop out before year two, and it is not the most intelligent or gifted students but those that put in the time and hard work that succeed.