SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Anyone hear how the awards banquet went?

WDAZ and KVLY did stories on it. The award to the NCAA wasn't presented during the banquet. I believe it was presented at a separate ceremony at the Multicultural Center.

Angry fans contact AD Maturi

University of Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi said he’s received about 100 e-mails from angry North Dakota fans after it was revealed that Minnesota won’t be playing the Sioux in sports other than men’s and women’s hockey.

“I’ve been beaten up by this thing pretty badly, which I can handle,” Maturi said.

He said Sioux fans are passionate about the Fighting Sioux nickname.

“I love the passion,” he said. “I guess technically, it’s my call, but if you read the policy says the University of Minnesota should make every effort not to schedule, strongly discourages the scheduling,” Maturi said. “Those are pretty powerful words to me, so I have abided by those words.”

If they are willing to re-visit the issue if UND wins the lawsuit, why aren't they willing to take the injunction into account.

UND seeks other teams

Walter Dickey, chair of the University of Wisconsin Athletic Board, says the Badgers would play the Sioux because of their previous games in hockey.

“We have an exception in our policy for what we call a traditional opponent, and you’re a traditional opponent,” Dickey said of the Sioux. “The policy is under review. We’re considering stuff. One of the things we’re looking at is what the NCAA is doing.”

Well said, Mr. Dickey.

Gary Barta, Iowa athletic director, says the Hawkeyes won’t schedule the Sioux unless the policy changes.

“We have a policy that came out several years ago indicating that we would not play any university outside of the Big Ten conference who had a Native American mascot,” Barta said. “All policies can be reviewed, but it hasn’t come out as something we’re planning to review in the near future.

Someone needs to tell Mr. Barta that UND does not have a mascot.

Anyone hear how the awards banquet went? The Sioux's sweep at Goofy's house kinda put the issue way on the back burner for me and likely everyone else.

I understand that after a wonderful meal of bean sprouts, tofu veggie omelettes and a wheat grass spritzer, there was an airing of grievances, real or imagined, about how the Sioux name has "injured" them, attendees were then given time to explain their other various hurts and woes, and then after 17 hours of this, everybody held each other and hummed "Kumbaya" in C Minor. :ohmy::lol:

I understand that after a wonderful meal of bean sprouts, tofu veggie omelettes and a wheat grass spritzer, there was an airing of grievances, real or imagined, about how the Sioux name has "injured" them, attendees were then given time to explain their other various hurts and woes, and then after 17 hours of this, everybody held each other and hummed "Kumbaya" in C Minor. :ohmy::lol:

Now that is one of the funniest things I have read today.

What are the odds that we would see another article on the Sioux name in the St. Cloud State newspaper? :)

UND student speaks out against name

Frank Sage, a senior at the University of North Dakota (UND), a member of the Navajo Nation, a prominent speaker on American Indian issues, and the President of Building Roads Into Diverse Groups Empowering Students (BRIDGES) spoke out Monday, condemning UND, and its use of the Fighting Sioux nickname.

SCSU competes against UND in just about every collegiate sport. According to some American Indians, the use of the Sioux term has dehumanized their people by subjecting them to unfair persecution by opposing teams' fans.

Sage showed a video directed by Monica Briane, another American Indian activist. The video highlighted the historic plight of American Indians through periods of Euro-Christian cultural assimilation.

"Our primary purpose is to dismantle the use of the Fighting Sioux logo, and all the negativity that accompanies it," he said.

I guess it's good to have goals, even though they are destructive. (That was sarcasm Hammersmith :) )

The only negativity that I see from the logo comes from BRIDGES.

While here on the Navajo Nation reservation, I have learned that the Navajo have a fierce pride in their student athletes. Attending a basketball game or volley ball game where fierce rivals are competing is akin to being at a Fighting Sioux / Dirty Goofys game.

Frank Sage is Navajo?

http://www.rmusd.net/docs/pdf/0607-winter-sports.pdf

http://www.rmusd.net/student/football06/football.php#

http://www.centralschools.org/~shs/shiphigh.html

http://www.gallupindependent.com/2005/feb/021705.html (scoll down to see the Green Wave fans from Tuba City cheering on the Lady Warriors!!)

The above are all schools on the Navajo Nation reservation.

A Native American will say that it's ok for these schools to use NA names, logos, imagery and mascots because they're NA. So should non-Native students be banned from participating in athletics on a reservation because to do so would be hostile or abusive? Is it ok to yell "Red Skins suck" at a Red Mesa game because the yeller is a Native American who is yelling about the team not the race of the athletes? A white student at that same game yelling "Red Skins suck" means what?:)

I think Mr. Sage should put his energy and education to better use (3 year old stats yet.....)

http://www.navajobusiness.com/fastFacts/Overview.htm

Changing the Sioux name will change nothing!!! As long as someone's sensibilities are offended by ANYTHING, controversy will reign.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6446946?MSNHPHMA

A commercial for Snickers candy bars launched in the Super Bowl broadcast was benched after its maker got complaints that it was homophobic.

Of cours it was!!! Gays also found it hilarious!!!

Changing the Sioux name will change nothing!!! As long as someone's sensibilities are offended by ANYTHING, controversy will reign.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6446946?MSNHPHMA

Of cours it was!!! Gays also found it hilarious!!!

I thought it was the best commercial of the entire night. If someone can't laugh at two manly mechanics accidentally kissing while eating a candy bar, they really need to get a sense of humor.

He was very discouraged and decided not to attend after hearing of the hostility generated on campus and in Grand Forks by campus alumni and conservative student organizations there.
Good. There are more than enough candy-ass whiners on campus. He should try barber college instead, or Minnesota.

UND and Dartmouth have the same hostile environment.

Don't tell Dartmouth that, or St. Cloud for that matter. They prefer to keep casting their stones.

The environment perpetuates the exclusive privileged White male network that permeates American society and politics.

I see somebody's been reading Gloria Steinham, again.

"Life's tough. Wear a f***ing helmet."- Denis Leary

Excuse me, but exactly which?

The most active organization on this issue I see is the polar opposite of "conservative".

This is the left wing media machine in full spin mode trying to get the UND to cower to PC pressure.

I say UND stand their ground against these social forces of left wing political correctness.

I always love how the left tries to spin the Right as being a bunch of sheet wearing racists. If you look at the issue a little further you will know that there are many with racial insensitivities on the left. For example, Robert KKK Byrd as member of the democratic caucus is a former member and grand master of the KKK. Last week Joe Biden made racist hurtful comments against Barrack Hussein Obama, basically calling him the first attractive black candidates, then watch him back peddle. Former President Jimmy Carter has been accused of being an Anti-Semite. I could go on but I won't.