SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River Football

OldSchool

Like I've said before the only blame that should fall on the coaches is the fact that there have been too many. The coaches who have been there have all been smart football guys.

It goes to the tradition and history factor. If Vern can stick around for a while and win some games kids will start to believe in the program. It wasn't too long ago that RR was fighting for playoff positions year in and year out. And like Old School said, there was the EDC championship not long ago. Since that championship, there have been 4 coaches. That's a lot of coaches in that amount of time. The assistant coaches have changed at an even higher rate. Central, on the other hand, has had the same top 4 guys there for almost 30 years. The system may be tweeked a bit from class to class but basically it stays the same. RR is constantly changing systems and coaches. That is not the way to solidify a program. Like I said, hopefully Vern will stay around and get the program back to a more stable one. One that wins will be nice too!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I've said before the only blame that should fall on the coaches is the fact that there have been too many.  The coaches who have been there have all been smart football guys.

It goes to the tradition and history factor.  If Vern can stick around for a while and win some games kids will start to believe in the program.  It wasn't too long ago that RR was fighting for playoff positions year in and year out.  And like Old School said, there was the EDC championship not long ago.  Since that championship, there have been 4 coaches.  That's a lot of coaches in that amount of time.  The assistant coaches have changed at an even higher rate.  Central, on the other hand, has had the same top 4 guys there for almost 30 years.  The system may be tweeked a bit from class to class but basically it stays the same.  RR is constantly changing systems and coaches.  That is not the way to solidify a program.  Like I said, hopefully Vern will stay around and get the program back to a more stable one.  One that wins will be nice too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESPN, you can't say that all the head coaches since Cichy have been awesome coaches that have fallen victim to the RRHS curse. Can you?

If that curse that you talk of is kids not playing football and parents of players stepping out of line, then sure you can blame it on that. No, but you can't put the blame on the coaches. How can you say it was the coaches fault when 4 different guys, all good coaches before or since, came in and couldn't solidify the program? Just doesn't make sense.

The parents stepping out of line does happen but not to the extreme that it would effect the outcome of a football game.

Wow, you are absolutely clueless about coaching kids and how it relates to football.

Just like your comment about running the ball on 3rd and long, I can't reasonably pass judgement on the call because I was not there. In many situations, 3rd and long might not be possible depending on many variable with the team and the opponent. Sometimes it's better to play field position and not take the risk of turning the ball over and giving your opponent a short field or easy points. That's just one of many possible reasons they may have run the ball. It bugs me a little when people that really don't know whats going on think they have as much or more insite than the coach. You think some of those kids at RR don't here the same stuff from their arm chair quarterback parents?

After reading that I started thinking that you must not be a UND football fan, because if you are I am certain you must have seen UND play field position on many occasions.

Wow, I've read some stupid stuff since yesterday.

Kids and parents cannot influence the outcome of a game. What? How can you say that? Many of these parents raise their children with the "you were right" attitude. Many times after a game when we would lose parents would go up to their kids and tell them that it was the coaches fault, or that it was the refs fault. Never would they tell their kid that he was in fault. Or else the parent would blast a coach in front of everyone else. If the kid thinks he's right and smarter then the coach then he will not try as hard when the coach tells him to do something.

Leads into parents telling coaches how to call a game. Bobyck seems like he will be one of those parents one day as he is complaining about a third and long call. I'm sure you've made a lot of tough 3rd and long decisions in your college football game for playstation, but have you ever called a real game? Have you ever scouted a real game? Have you ever even coached at all? Then please don't judge other coaches calls. It's easy when you are sitting at home isn't it, hell, we'ld all be 16-0 and win the Super Bowl if we could just get our chance!

When Bobyck brought up the reason that coaches have left, here they are.

King-new job, didn't have time to coach

Peterson-parents grinding him and dragging his name through the mud (most notably a high profile old football coach and his wife)

Manausa(sp)-left for position with UND

I wouldn't say they left because they were losing. Peterson made the playoffs twice in his 4 years.

I have to agree with Bobyck on this one.  Red River is full of a bunch of spoiled brat rich kids.  Central is the blue collar school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I call shananagans on this BS. Even though the people that I know who attend RR dont miss too many meals, Central kids aren't fighting to survive either. Apparently those spoiled brat rich kids can sure play hockey. Money doesnt make you happy, State Hockey Championships however, they do.