SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River Football

OldSchool

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more fairly recent GFC track and field dI athlete was Disa Salander, who threw the shot and disc at Kentucky. And although it was a long time ago, GFC has also produced two olympic track and field medalists--Cliff Cushman (Kansas; silver in 400m hurdles in 1960) and John Bennett (Marquette; silver in long jump in 1956).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't their a girl thrower and RR around 2000/2001 that went to throw at UCLA?

Briana something comes to mind, but I am not certain that is correct on the first name.

It's more about how the kids are raised, kids from all walks of life are coddlied.  It just tends to be that people with a little money, do more of it.  Like I said in my first post about this subject, the parents are the major problem.  While the kids are just a byproduct of how they are raised and how the parents have treated them growing up. 

Of course I am making generalizations, but I have never said everyone falls into what I am saying.  We will always have exceptions and money and parenting are very interelated. 

Do you not think having or not having money has an effect on the way people behave?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, money does have some what of an effect on how kids behave. But you can not tell me that there is that much difference between RRHS and Central where you can have Central in the Title game and RR barely winning a game.

Bottom line, the fact that RR kids may have some wealth in their family IS NOT the reason that they are so bad. It is coaching. You can not argue that, can you?

It would be tough to count if you wanted to count all sports.  You would probably just look at scholarships.  Which school produced the most scholarship athletes.  Let's just start a little list here between RR and Central.  If someone is knowledgable about FSH they could help too.

I'll start with guys I know and only from Basketball, Hockey, football and baseball and only D-I.  There are more but these are the for sures.

RR:

Grant Potulny

Tim Skarp

Casavan

Godfread

Marsden

Schneider

Ziggy

Ryan Potulny

Irmen

GFC:

O'Connell

Brooks

Bina

Lamereaux  however the hell you spell it

And I'm drawing a blank  I know there are a bunch of hockey players from Central but I'm hungover and can't think right now.  Someone please help.  Just copy my list and add to it.  Can't really think of more non-hockey types from GFC though?  Help

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose you could count Irmen although he only lived in Grand Forks for 9 months of his life. Basically, Ryan Potulny only attended high school (or more accurately played high school sports) for one year in Grand Forks. The key to their D-I success was their two year experience in Junior "A" with the Lincoln Stars as they left Grand Forks after their sophomore year. It all depends on how you want to define "schools producing scholarship athletes." In hockey it is tougher to trace when they leave school so early and the Junior "A" program is a major factor in their development. Interesting discussion though.

I think RR Football is so poor because it can not come out from the huge shadow that RR Men's Tennis casts over it. They simply can not compete with that juggernaut of a program!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Red River has had one of the better soccer teams in the state over the past few years. In 2002 they were state champions, in 2004 they were 2nd, and this year they have a stong team again. The growth of soccer has had some impact on the football programs. As an interesting sidelight, I have heard a couple of dads who played football at the college level steer their kids toward soccer because of all of the football injuries they had and the aches and pains that they have in middle age. With the growth of soccer you need a fairly large school to be able to compete effectively in all fall sports. On the other hand, Red River has a good enrollment size.

big game, all you think is taht red river kids are spoiled and rich, and that is simply not true. sure, some kids have money, but the way you make it sound is that all kids are loaded and that they dont care about winning or losing. why cant you get by the fact that red rivers kids favorite sport isnt football? have you ever thought that kids at red river maybe dont like football and instead choose to invest their time in another sport such as tennis or hockey? is there a crime in not wanting play football? who cares if they go home to a family that has some money, becasue last time i checked that isnt a crime. these kids do play sports other than football and there is nothing wrong wiht that. it is trashy that you think the football team sucks because kids who have money dont want to play. you are being ignorant to the fact taht they do not play football. maybe they are in cross country or tennis. i cant belive that you put so much of the emphasis on the football team not winning on money. it is stupid and you should stop making such a big deal about it. get a life.

big game, all you think is taht red river kids are spoiled and rich
No, I don't think that at all, because Grand Forks isn't nearly big enough to produce a high school full of kids with parents that make a lot of money. But the average kid tends to be better off than most other schools (or at least many of the parents and kids seem to have that attitude)

that they dont care about winning or losing

Many of the kids at RR do care about winning and losing, but those kids tend to either be in the minority or they are not blessed with the ability to make a much of a difference. Hockey is #1 at RR, and I understand that. Most schools RR size can put together good teams in all sports, RR biggest problem in football games is most of the players are soft and that is all attitude and effort.

these kids do play sports other than football and there is nothing wrong wiht that. it is trashy that you think the football team sucks because kids who have money dont want to play. you are being ignorant to the fact taht they do not play football. maybe they are in cross country or tennis. i cant belive that you put so much of the emphasis on the football team not winning on money. it is stupid and you should stop making such a big deal about it. get a life

Once again because you apparently can't comprehend very well, It's not all kids but most that grow up in the situation or environment they do. The football program at RRhas many, many problems. More than I could ever get into on a message board, but I pushed 2 of the bigger problems out. Like it or not it is the current situation at RR.

The school has enough kids that it shouldn't be hard to find 11 tough and aggressive kids to put on the field. Bottineau HS had a similar problem for years, but it was caused by some similar things and some different things. In Bottineu kids were told by the hockey coach if you are a hockey player, you don't play football. Obviously Bottineau doesn't have the school population to not get some kids out for a sport and still be successful. Good for BHS they are turning the problem around. These problems all have many levels, it isn't only the 2 things I went over, but IMO these are the biggest problems. Remember, it's just an opinion base upon my experiences.

I have worked at 4 different schools one high school with average kids being above middle class (at least for the area). Good kids, of the 60 kids that played football, about 15 of they worked hard, but of the 60 only about 10 were physical football players, willing to tackle anyone and go in hard.

Another HS I did my student teaching at a long way from ND had the richest of the rich, and the dirt poor all in one school. The football team consisted of all lower class or poverty kids with the exception of two players. That school has a very good football team year in and year out and of the 100 kids they have player football, about 90 of them are hittings and very physical players.

The coaches at these schools do things very close to the same. (go figure)

I have worked at two middle schools, one was very middle class for the area with a few kids that were a little better off financially. Only 30 kids came out the year I was at the school, but 24 of those kids would hit and be aggressive on the field.

I currently work at a middle school and for a high school in a very affluent area. They people are nice, and almost all the kids are very good academically. When it comes to football we had 65 kids out, of those 65 I have 5 kids that are aggressive and will hit in practice.

Bottom line is that kids that are brought being given things and are the "have kids" tend to be softer than the "have not" kids. The environment can be changed but it takes a lot of work and time, and no coach could do it on their own. They will need help from school, community, parents, and the A.D. and it has to start when the kids are very young (long before they get to high school). I wish RR good luck, they do have a good coach (as several coaches in the past have been) but it will take far more than X's and O's, physical conditioning, and a pre-game pep talk to turn the program around.

No, I don't think that at all, because Grand Forks isn't nearly big enough to produce a high school full of kids with parents that make a lot of money. But the average kid tends to be better off than most other schools (or at least many of the parents and kids seem to have that attitude)

Many of the kids at RR do care about winning and losing, but those kids tend to either be in the minority or they are not blessed with the ability to make a much of a difference. Hockey is #1 at RR, and I understand that. Most schools RR size can put together good teams in all sports, RR biggest problem in football games is most of the players are soft and that is all attitude and effort.

Once again because you apparently can't comprehend very well, It's not all kids but most that grow up in the situation or environment they do. The football program at RRhas many, many problems. More than I could ever get into on a message board, but I pushed 2 of the bigger problems out. Like it or not it is the current situation at RR.

The school has enough kids that it shouldn't be hard to find 11 tough and aggressive kids to put on the field. Bottineau HS had a similar problem for years, but it was caused by some similar things and some different things. In Bottineu kids were told by the hockey coach if you are a hockey player, you don't play football. Obviously Bottineau doesn't have the school population to not get some kids out for a sport and still be successful. Good for BHS they are turning the problem around. These problems all have many levels, it isn't only the 2 things I went over, but IMO these are the biggest problems. Remember, it's just an opinion base upon my experiences.

I have worked at 4 different schools one high school with average kids being above middle class (at least for the area). Good kids, of the 60 kids that played football, about 15 of they worked hard, but of the 60 only about 10 were physical football players, willing to tackle anyone and go in hard.

Another HS I did my student teaching at a long way from ND had the richest of the rich, and the dirt poor all in one school. The football team consisted of all lower class or poverty kids with the exception of two players. That school has a very good football team year in and year out and of the 100 kids they have player football, about 90 of them are hittings and very physical players.

The coaches at these schools do things very close to the same. (go figure)

I have worked at two middle schools, one was very middle class for the area with a few kids that were a little better off financially. Only 30 kids came out the year I was at the school, but 24 of those kids would hit and be aggressive on the field.

I currently work at a middle school and for a high school in a very affluent area. They people are nice, and almost all the kids are very good academically. When it comes to football we had 65 kids out, of those 65 I have 5 kids that are aggressive and will hit in practice.

Bottom line is that kids that are brought being given things and are the "have kids" tend to be softer than the "have not" kids. The environment can be changed but it takes a lot of work and time, and no coach could do it on their own. They will need help from school, community, parents, and the A.D. and it has to start when the kids are very young (long before they get to high school). I wish RR good luck, they do have a good coach (as several coaches in the past have been) but it will take far more than X's and O's, physical conditioning, and a pre-game pep talk to turn the program around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could careless about what schools you have coached at. Have you ever coached or attended RRHS? If the answer is no, then you have no idea.

If your theory is correct, how do you explain Fargo South. That school is wealthy, and they have a good hockey team. How do you explain them having a good football team, as well?

You have no grounds to your argument, that is why you see no one in this thread supporting your claim, just arguing against it.

I could careless about what schools you have coached at. Have you ever coached or attended RRHS? If the answer is no, then you have no idea.

If your theory is correct, how do you explain Fargo South. That school is wealthy, and they have a good hockey team. How do you explain them having a good football team, as well?

You have no grounds to your argument, that is why you see no one in this thread supporting your claim, just arguing against it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think this one through a little bit. Some of the Twin Cities (and for that matter other big cities) suburban schools have some of the best teams in the state. Around the country some of the best programs are private schools with tuitions in the $5000 to $20,000 range. Those are not all poor kids on scholarship.

I think Vern Muir can turn the program around and I wouldn't classify the RR kids as a bunch of rich kids. If you don't have a great off season and in season speed and strength program you are much less likely to have success. Any school where the head coach of any sport tells his athletes not to do other sports should be corrected. In our school district that can get you fired if you don't respond to corrective counseling.

What many coaches suffer from are the parents of any kids who will not support what they need to do to turn the program around. It also takes patience on behalf of the kids parents and school officials. If Vern sets up his program and makes it clear what his expectations are and what the consequences are for failing to participate the kids and parents will eventually buy into it. The so called cake eaters if you have them will either improve their work ethic or move on to other pursuits. That means if you are supposed to be in the weight room 3 days a week in the summer and you can't find time you may not play. That is also a great opportunity for some other kids to show they are willing to make the necessary sacrifice to become successful. The coach needs to be smart enough to hold all of the kids acouuntable so if the school board president's kid who may have potential doesn't participate he suffers the same consequences as the orphan kid who no one cares about. The key is support from the administration and school board to give the coach time to do things right. If he gets support if will bet Vern has a very competitive RR team within the next four years, and hopefully sooner.

Updated list. I'm lost when it comes to anyone before probably the class of 96 or so. 

RR:

Grant Potulny (UM)

Tim Skarp  (UND)

Casavan  (Wyo)

Godfread  (Utah and UNI)

Marsden  (Nebraska)

Schneider  (UND)

Ziggy  (UND and UMD)

Ryan Potulny  (UM)

Irmen  (UM)

Beth Seymour - Geogia (I think)

Julia Pederson - ASU

Cheryl Weingarten - Oregon State  actually it was Oregon Bobyck you idiot

Shane McMenamy (ASU)?

I'll add Jackie Meyers  (North Carolina Basketball)

and Paul Murphy  (UND)

GFC:

O'Connell  (UND)

Brooks  (Wisc.)

Bina  (UND)

Lamereaux  (UND)

Steve Johnson  (?)

Jake Marto  (UND)

Mike Markovich (Denver hockey)

Jay Ness (Lake Superior State hockey)

Chad Johnson (UND hockey)

Tony Gasparini (UMD hockey)

Jake Moreland (SCSU hockey)

Jay Panzer  (UND)

Jeff Panzer  (UND)

Nick Fuher  (UND)

Joey Gasparini (Vermont hockey)

Wade Juntunen (AZ)

Dani Parkos (MN)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasnt there a central player from back in the day who went to Wisconsin? maybe a Capouch?

Have you ever coached or attended RRHS? If the answer is no, then you have no idea.

Yes

I don't think you have taken the time to comprehend everything I have written.

Private schools recruit kids and Minnesota has open enrollment (so they in theory, can also recruit kids)

I will stop with this thread now, but I do agree with Ira on many things he points out but I think it will be very difficult to fix the RR football program in 4 years. Maybe if he gets all the support he needs to run a tight program, but I just don't think that will happen at least not right away.

I suppose you could count Irmen although he only lived in Grand Forks for 9 months of his life.  Basically, Ryan Potulny only attended high school (or more accurately played high school sports) for one year in Grand Forks.  The key to their D-I success was their two year experience in Junior "A" with the Lincoln Stars as they left Grand Forks after their sophomore year.  It all depends on how you want to define "schools producing scholarship athletes."  In hockey it is tougher to trace when they leave school so early and the Junior "A" program is a major factor in their development.  Interesting discussion though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Potulny played at RR for 2 seasons. Split time as the starting QB his sophomore year. Irmen is a stretch though. I'm not saying wether the school produced the athlete, just where they attended school. Baseball players learn most of their game outside of high school in the legion programs, but I would still consider them RR or Central kids.

Yes

I don't think you have taken the time to comprehend everything I have written.

Private schools recruit kids and Minnesota has open enrollment (so they in theory, can also recruit kids)

I will stop with this thread now, but I do agree with Ira on many things he points out but I think it will be very difficult to fix the RR football program in 4 years. Maybe if he gets all the support he needs to run a tight program, but I just don't think that will happen at least not right away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Private schools may recruit but the family is still going to be well off if they can afford the private school tuition, scholarship or not.

We can simply agree to disagree but you can see that no one has come out to support your claim. I think you are way off in your assumption that money has something to do with the situation of the RRHS football program.

That is ridiculous. Bobyck are you one of those parents, or are you going to be one of those parents. It is not coaching over their. It is the athletes not playing football. The had quality coaching over their, and remember it was only nine years ago that RR went undefeated and one the EDC outright. Peterson has been the D coordinator at Larimore since leaving RR. I bet no one is complaining about him out their. Chine who was Peterson's top assistant came directly from Central. Mike Mannasau is now at UND and Vern was a GA at UND. The problem is again. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s#$t. Wake up Bobyck you are being that guy.

That is ridiculous.  Bobyck are you one of those parents, or are you going to be one of those parents.  It is not coaching over their.  It is the athletes not playing football.  The had quality coaching over their, and remember it was only nine years ago that RR went undefeated and one the EDC outright.  Peterson has been the D coordinator at Larimore since leaving RR.  I bet no one is complaining about him out their.  Chine who was Peterson's top assistant came directly from Central.  Mike Mannasau is now at UND and Vern was a GA at UND.  The problem is again.  You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s#$t.  Wake up Bobyck you are being that guy.

P.S. And I am not, and never will be, one of those parents that call the coach every Monday morning and tell them what I think should be done. Truth be told, I hate when people do that. The coach is there for a reason. That does not mean I can not be critical of a coach on a message board, does it?