SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River Football

OldSchool

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with some sports, but the talk about a lot of hockey players is somewhat tough for me to understand, and I am a basketball fan first and foremost. We live in ND, so obviously hockey is what we are going to see the most kids go to college and play. We are not a hot bed for football, basketball, or baseball...Just like kids in Texas aren't highly recruited to play hockey.

One more point and I am done.  Is their a school in the state that has had more top DII and DI athletes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It depends on how far back you want to go, and it would be very hard to say with regard to dII, but in terms of dI, I'd say in no particular order--Central, Red River and Fargo South. Central has obviously had a lot of hockey players go dI over the years.

It would be tough to count if you wanted to count all sports. You would probably just look at scholarships. Which school produced the most scholarship athletes. Let's just start a little list here between RR and Central. If someone is knowledgable about FSH they could help too.

I'll start with guys I know and only from Basketball, Hockey, football and baseball and only D-I. There are more but these are the for sures.

RR:

Grant Potulny

Tim Skarp

Casavan

Godfread

Marsden

Schneider

Ziggy

Ryan Potulny

Irmen

GFC:

O'Connell

Brooks

Bina

Lamereaux however the hell you spell it

And I'm drawing a blank I know there are a bunch of hockey players from Central but I'm hungover and can't think right now. Someone please help. Just copy my list and add to it. Can't really think of more non-hockey types from GFC though? Help

It would be tough to count if you wanted to count all sports.  You would probably just look at scholarships.  Which school produced the most scholarship athletes.  Let's just start a little list here between RR and Central.  If someone is knowledgable about FSH they could help too.

I'll start with guys I know and only from Basketball, Hockey, football and baseball and only D-I.  There are more but these are the for sures.

RR:

Grant Potulny

Tim Skarp

Casavan

Godfread

Marsden

Schneider

Ziggy

Ryan Potulny

Irmen

GFC:

O'Connell

Brooks

Bina

Lamereaux  however the hell you spell it

And I'm drawing a blank  I know there are a bunch of hockey players from Central but I'm hungover and can't think right now.  Someone please help.  Just copy my list and add to it.  Can't really think of more non-hockey types from GFC though?  Help

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Add the Panzers, Gasparini to Central

Shane McMenamy to RRHS

Andy Doeden to Fargo South

It would be tough to count if you wanted to count all sports.  You would probably just look at scholarships.  Which school produced the most scholarship athletes.  Let's just start a little list here between RR and Central.  If someone is knowledgable about FSH they could help too.

I'll start with guys I know and only from Basketball, Hockey, football and baseball and only D-I.  There are more but these are the for sures.

RR:

Grant Potulny

Tim Skarp

Casavan

Godfread

Marsden

Schneider

Ziggy

Ryan Potulny

Irmen

GFC:

O'Connell

Brooks

Bina

Lamereaux  however the hell you spell it

And I'm drawing a blank  I know there are a bunch of hockey players from Central but I'm hungover and can't think right now.  Someone please help.  Just copy my list and add to it.  Can't really think of more non-hockey types from GFC though?  Help

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GFC (since the mid-80's)

Mike Markovich (Denver hockey)

Jay Ness (Lake Superior State hockey)

Chad Johnson (UND hockey)

Tony Gasparini (UMD hockey)

Jake Moreland (SCSU hockey)

Jay Panzer

Jeff Panzer

Nick Fuher

Joey Gasparini (Vermont hockey)

In terms of non-hockey, there's been a few from track:

Wade Juntunen (AZ)

Dani Parkos (MN)

A few other throwers, but I can't remember who went where.

Game, it seems to me like you are just trying to stereotype the entire school. with kids i know from red river, if they dont play sports, they all have jobs. so yes they are going home to money, money that the kids have earned by working. it is also unfair to say that the kids are lazy because of their lifestyles, when red river won 3 state championships last year (hockey, girls tennis, boys tennis). sure the football team isnt very good, but the fact is that many hockey players are 1 or 2 sport athletes (the other sport baseball in the many cases), and having hockey as the main sport has worked, as noticed by their state championship this past year and overall successful programs over the years.

Updated list. I'm lost when it comes to anyone before probably the class of 96 or so.

RR:

Grant Potulny (UM)

Tim Skarp (UND)

Casavan (Wyo)

Godfread (Utah and UNI)

Marsden (Nebraska)

Schneider (UND)

Ziggy (UND and UMD)

Ryan Potulny (UM)

Irmen (UM)

Beth Seymour - Geogia (I think)

Julia Pederson - ASU

Cheryl Weingarten - Oregon State actually it was Oregon Bobyck you idiot

Shane McMenamy (ASU)?

I'll add Jackie Meyers (North Carolina Basketball)

and Paul Murphy (UND)

GFC:

O'Connell (UND)

Brooks (Wisc.)

Bina (UND)

Lamereaux (UND)

Steve Johnson (?)

Jake Marto (UND)

Mike Markovich (Denver hockey)

Jay Ness (Lake Superior State hockey)

Chad Johnson (UND hockey)

Tony Gasparini (UMD hockey)

Jake Moreland (SCSU hockey)

Jay Panzer (UND)

Jeff Panzer (UND)

Nick Fuher (UND)

Joey Gasparini (Vermont hockey)

Wade Juntunen (AZ)

Dani Parkos (MN)

This is a pretty good list for a town of under 50,000. Most are obviously hockey, but still, that is a lot of DI athletes, and there are sure to be many more added to the list. Like Katie Jacobson (Montana, then Minnesota golf) Sarah Holbrook (Harvard hockey) Meaghan Nelson (UND hockey) all from RR.

Marissa Hangsleben (UND hockey) from GFC

One more fairly recent GFC track and field dI athlete was Disa Salander, who threw the shot and disc at Kentucky. And although it was a long time ago, GFC has also produced two olympic track and field medalists--Cliff Cushman (Kansas; silver in 400m hurdles in 1960) and John Bennett (Marquette; silver in long jump in 1956).

One more fairly recent GFC track and field dI athlete was Disa Salander, who threw the shot and disc at Kentucky. And although it was a long time ago,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fairly recent? You and Rip Van Winkle been hanging out? ;)

Just kidding, but how many female athletes has this town produced? I remember when GF would dominate the state in female throwing events and a lot of that had to do with Pat Peake and Tim Tandeski and the Quicksilver track club. Is that club even around anymore?

Katie Wilson from RR also through at Louisville for one year before going to SCSU.

Fairly recent? You and Rip Van Winkle been hanging out? :huh:

Just kidding, but how many female athletes has this town produced? I remember when GF would dominate the state in female throwing events and a lot of that had to do with Pat Peake and Tim Tandeski and the Quicksilver track club. Is that club even around anymore?

Katie Wilson from RR also through at Louisville for one year before going to SCSU.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I am getting pretty old (GFC class of '88). Salander graduated in about 1994 or so, so that SEEMS pretty recent to an old geezer like myself. ;)