SiouxSports.com Forum

Ranked #1: Curse of USCHO?

kiork

Left with no choice, the USCHO pollbodies resoundingly placed UND at #1 with 21 (of 40) 1st Place votes. Nobody else had more than six. I've always hated having that big red #1 bullseye on the back. I much prefer a season like 1997 where I don't think the Sioux were ever ranked #1 in the polls.

http://www.uscho.com/polls/

New Hampshire, last week's #1, lost to unranked Dartmouth and fell to #4.

Since the preseason, I've thought that UND is overrated this year. However, they are winning all of the small games--which is a sign of a legitimately good team.

I'm becoming a believer.

I know it's heresy, but I think the insidecollegehockey.com power ranking is a better representation of the current relative strength of teams.

The polls seem very reactionary to each weekend's results (anyone who lost must plummet, anyone who won must climb). Therefore, a little winning streak (despite against mediocre teams at home) vaults you up in polls.

Looking at Mankato's relative ranking and at how much of a challenge they gave the Sioux at home doesn't make it seem like the Sioux are THAT much better. Of course, as kiork said, finding a way to win those games is what makes a championship team. Hopefully the Sioux can ride this momentum into a much more difficult second half of the schedule.

I think most of the voters probably just look at a school's W/L record, as well as their overall tradition and reputation, and not the strength of the opponents. I **think** we were ranked in the top-15 well into the start of last season until the wheels finally fell off our wagon around this time last year. ;)

I know it's heresy, but I think the insidecollegehockey.com power ranking is a better representation of the current relative strength of teams.

The polls seem very reactionary to each weekend's results (anyone who lost must plummet, anyone who won must climb). Therefore, a little winning streak (despite against mediocre teams at home) vaults you up in polls.

Looking at Mankato's relative ranking and at how much of a challenge they gave the Sioux at home doesn't make it seem like the Sioux are THAT much better. Of course, as kiork said, finding a way to win those games is what makes a championship team. Hopefully the Sioux can ride this momentum into a much more difficult second half of the schedule.

I agree with you JimDahl. I believe they have us down around #7 or so. Makes more sense to me.

Man, this season is more fun that last, isn't it! ;)

I'm with you - the insidecollegehockey's ranking seems to be more on target. Representing the WCHA: #1 - CC and #6 - Denver ..... UND is now #8, last week UND was ranked #5, the site attributes the 3 spot drop to giving up 10 goals to Mankato ...... I wouldn't necessarily place the Sioux at #8, however, I wouldn't rank them above CC and Denver. (There are 4 WCHA teams which are ranked: CC, UD, UND, UMin)

There were only 3 teams to drop 3 spots: #8 UND (a win and a tie at home); #12 Minnesota (a tie and a loss at home); and #14 Boston Univ. (swept at home by Cornell)

Maine stayed at #2 with a 2-1 victory over Qunnipiac

Boston College went down 2 to #5 after a loss to Dartmouth (#16 this week)

When CB was interviewed a couple weeks ago he stated that he likes the ranking around 4-5 (that was not in connection with this year's team, just generally #4/#5 is a good spot as you don't have the bull'seye on your back brought on by #1/#2).

What are you guys talking about? Who cares...the fact is that UND is once again on top or very near the top after a one year hiatus. Maybe you all are just taking great hockey for granted...I know being down in San Antonio, Texas, I would give an arm and a leg to see the SIoux in action. Enjoy what you've got, this is what this young team needs, a big confidence boost will carry a long way, hopefully through the stretch of road games to end the season. I have heard a lot of complaints about the Sioux' schedule, most of those complaints coming from Gopher fans, but I think it is great. If we could just get someone between the pipes who could save 18-19 shots a game, we couldn't be beat. I don't mean to say that I think the Sioux should be #1, because I don't think they have proven that yet...but, to downplay the turnaround from last year is a big mistake. I say "GO SIOUX" and I am thrilled to be back at #1!!!!

I don't think anyone means to downplay the turnaround from last year. I think everyone is very happy to see the big step the team has made SO FAR. But to say we might think the team is overrated at #1 doesn't mean we don't think the team is very good. On the contrary!!!

Though computer rankings have flaws of their own, looking at the RPI tells an interesting story:

http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/2003/rpi.shtml

UND is #7.

Despite having the #1 record overall, our strength of schedule is #39. There's been enough interleague and league play such that RPI is becoming relevant this time of year. (BTW -- we're also #7 in PWR).

One could make the argument that UND has done all they possibly could, given that they've had an easy schedule. What more could you ask of a team than putting together the best record in the NCAA? I guess my answer is that we could have been more convincing against mid-tier SCSU and Mankato.

It's all academic at this point, as the Sioux will play more difficult opponents soon and get a chance to prove were they belong.

I personally don't like the number one rating but, then again who cares what the ranking says now, it matters more in March and April. However, I feel that UND is probably better than a 7 rating on the power ranking. Personally I think Cornell is ranked too high. We will see. I guess the target is back on the Sioux again.