SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be fixed easily. I will check with the site administrator and reference the posts. He/she can see if the identities in the registration database match the posts. If not, the "phony" user can be banned. If the identities match then the posts stand and the poster is not banned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This can be fixed easily. I will check with the site administrator and reference the posts. He/she can see if the identities in the registration database match the posts. If not, the "phony" user can be banned. If the identities match then the posts stand and the poster is not banned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never said i was ryan griggs, im just a fan of his work. thank you and ill let myself out. This is my last post so no need to get in a tissy. :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On topic of the best teams in the state, the favorite has to be Fargo South with the depth that they have. However, in some instances a team with lack of depth is "carried" by two or three players with significant talent, and will beat the team with overall depth. This brings me to Fargo North. With the Tri-City storm recently releasing the 17 year old Elliot Okland and all time save percentage leader at the National Select 17 festival I can't help but wonder what North will be like with him. Elliot is currently practicing with the FM Jets and they said they will take him back. A goalie of Elliots caliber however does not want to stew another season letting his talents diminish. Fargo North is his next option. Elliot would easily be North Dakota's Mr. Hockey and the states top goalie. But how big would his impact for the Spartans? I cant even fathom. Last season Jr. Justin Welk faced a total of 622 shots and stopped 532 of them, his SV% was 85.5% and had 90 goalies against. It is only reasonable to believe that Mr. Okland would put up numbers far superior to this. I do not believe it would be difficult for Elliot to post a 90% SV%. This would be 52 goals instead of 90 goals. A big difference don't you think? If North could subract 38 goals from their opponents score their record could have been 21-2, instead of 12-10-2. It obviously isnt realistic to say that just because of this goalie they would have practically had an undeafeted season but you can get an idea of the impact he will have. Just a thought...

On topic of the best teams in the state, the favorite has to be Fargo South with the depth that they have.  However, in some instances a team with lack of depth is "carried" by two or three players with significant talent, and will beat the team with overall depth.  This brings me to Fargo North.  With the Tri-City storm recently releasing the 17 year old Elliot Okland and all time save percentage leader at the National Select 17 festival I can't help but wonder what North will be like with him.  Elliot is currently practicing with the FM Jets and they said they will take him back.  A goalie of Elliots caliber however does not want to stew another season letting his talents diminish.  Fargo North is his next option.  Elliot would easily be North Dakota's Mr. Hockey and the states top goalie.  But how big would his impact for the Spartans?  I cant even fathom.  Last season Jr. Justin Welk faced a total of 622 shots and stopped 532 of them, his SV% was 85.5% and had 90 goalies against.  It is only reasonable to believe that Mr. Okland would put up numbers far superior to this.  I do not believe it would be difficult for Elliot to post a 90% SV%.  This would be 52 goals instead of 90 goals.  A big difference don't you think?  If North could subract 38 goals from their opponents score their record could have been 21-2, instead of 12-10-2. It obviously isnt realistic to say that just because of this goalie they would have practically had an undeafeted season but you can get an idea of the impact he will have.  Just a thought...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that this kid could be one of those players that could change a game, however with North's defense he will be looking at 40-50 shots a game against the top teams in the East. Letting in less than three goals during those games would be a great feat.

I agree and disagree. Okland would face many shots, but my son was on his Jets team last season and when I got off work one day I thought I'd stop by and watch a practice. I was late, and the team was finishing up with a shootout. I only saw about 10 breakaways on Elliot but from what I remember he stopped all of them but one. These are future division one and division three players. By any account a team might need 30-40 breakaways to get 3-4 goals? Maybe, that's just the math of it. Agreed, South could tear a team apart on the powerplay. But with Norths new coach I doubt he will allow them to become so undisciplined that they would take multiple penalties against at team such as South. Also, In the event of a South powerplay I doubt they would kill North on it. I would actually be impressed if South scored on Norths penalty kill . I believe North will have four players capable of defending Souths top five. I was very impressed with junior forward Tyler Klein and I would say it would be reasonable to say he would pose a major problem for the South powerplay. South definitly has the depth but I wouldnt count North out just yet.

I agree and disagree.  Okland would face many shots, but my son was on his Jets team last season and when I got off work one day I thought I'd stop by and watch a practice.  I was late, and the team was finishing up with a shootout.  I only saw about 10 breakaways on Elliot but from what I remember he stopped all of them but one.  These are future division one and division three players.  By any account a team might need 30-40 breakaways to get 3-4 goals?  Maybe, that's just the math of it.  Agreed, South could tear a team apart on the powerplay.  But with Norths new coach I doubt he will allow them to become so undisciplined that they would take multiple penalties against at team such as South.  Also, In the event of a South powerplay I doubt they would kill North on it.  I would actually be impressed if South scored on Norths penalty kill .  I believe North will have four players capable of defending Souths top five.  I was very impressed with junior forward Tyler Klein and I would say it would be reasonable to say he would pose a major problem for the South powerplay.  South definitly has the depth but I wouldnt count North out just yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Weisgarber and Galt working the powerplay up top like they do, it won't matter who is on the penalty kill. North should be one of the easier teams to score on on the powerplay because they have zero defensemen. South will pick apart opposing teams penalty killing units all year.

My mistake. I should have emphasized "players" when I said North will have four players that would kill Souths top power play. To play the penalty kill you don't have to be super skilled, or even very good for that matter... At least in ND highschool hockey. If you a a great skater you can shut down a very good powerplay by pressuring the puck with good speed and and recovering quickly. Word is Nate Mickelberg is back at North and I dont think anyone will disagree that he is a fantastic skater. A fantastic skater would be able to do these things such as recovering quickly and pressuring the puck correct? I don't think playing one forward at defense on the penalty kill would pose much of problem either... Refering back to my previous post, I don't think a player such as Tyler Klein would have any trouble playing defense on the penatly kill.

When saying it would take 30-40 breakaways to score on Elliot Okland, it was an exaggeration and I should have made that clear. It was simply a mathematical function to the fact that he stopped 9-10 breakaways at a NAHL practice last season. On the other hand I would not doubt that it would take twenty breakaways for Souths top scorer to score three goals on Okland. Saying North will be facing 40-50 shots a game against the top teams in the East is outrageous. Wahpeton faced an average of 37 shots on net last year and I would assume North will be better than Wahpeton correct? Also, North's defense may however be weak, but are they the only players on the ice stopping an oncoming rush? Many teams will have a difficult time getting the puck past their own blueline when Norths top line is on the ice so in that regard I don't think their D will pose too much of a threat for that instance. Just my opinion...

My mistake.  I should have emphasized "players" when I said North will have four players that would kill Souths top power play.  To play the penalty kill you don't have to be super skilled, or even very good for that matter... At least in ND highschool hockey.  If you a a great skater you can shut down a very good powerplay by pressuring the puck with good speed and and recovering quickly.  Word is Nate Mickelberg is back at North and I dont think anyone will disagree that he is a fantastic skater.  A fantastic skater would be able to do these things such as recovering quickly and pressuring the puck correct?  I don't think playing one forward at defense on the penalty kill would pose much of problem either...  Refering back to my previous post, I don't think a player such as Tyler Klein would have any trouble playing defense on the penatly kill. 

When saying it would take 30-40 breakaways to score on Elliot Okland, it was an exaggeration and I should have made that clear.  It was simply a mathematical function to the fact that he stopped 9-10 breakaways at a NAHL practice last season.  On the other hand I would not doubt that it would take twenty breakaways for Souths top scorer to score three goals on Okland.  Saying North will be facing 40-50 shots a game against the top teams in the East is outrageous.  Wahpeton faced an average of 37 shots on net last year and I would assume North will be better than Wahpeton correct?  Also, North's defense may however be weak, but are they the only players on the ice stopping an oncoming rush?  Many teams will have a difficult time getting the puck past their own blueline when Norths top line is on the ice so in that regard I don't think their D will pose too much of a threat for that instance.  Just my opinion...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said, i like what your saying for the most part. Okland is a great goaltender. Also i'm not trying to imply that north is any where near wahpeton, but when you said they averaged 37 shots agianst you have to take in to consideration there very weak non confrence competition an interesting statistic would be the average shots agiast put on by the four east teams that made it to state. After all that i'm saying that it wouldn't be unfathenable for a team like south or gpr to put up 40 shots. 50 shots is a stretch even with norths depth. I could see 35-40 with a majority of those coming when norths top line isn't on the ice. please don't come back with well north will roll two lines, because that would only make things worse for the spartens of north. Thier first line wouldn't be nearly as productive (17 min periods). No D is a very big problem, look for it late in the game when the first unit isn't out there and norths behind. Also Nate Mikelberg maybe alittle rusty as he saw little to no action with his team last year. In closing, im sure klien could play d on the powerplay but let's be honest, he won't.

My mistake.  I should have emphasized "players" when I said North will have four players that would kill Souths top power play.  To play the penalty kill you don't have to be super skilled, or even very good for that matter... At least in ND highschool hockey.  If you a a great skater you can shut down a very good powerplay by pressuring the puck with good speed and and recovering quickly.  Word is Nate Mickelberg is back at North and I dont think anyone will disagree that he is a fantastic skater.  A fantastic skater would be able to do these things such as recovering quickly and pressuring the puck correct?  I don't think playing one forward at defense on the penalty kill would pose much of problem either...  Refering back to my previous post, I don't think a player such as Tyler Klein would have any trouble playing defense on the penatly kill. 

When saying it would take 30-40 breakaways to score on Elliot Okland, it was an exaggeration and I should have made that clear.  It was simply a mathematical function to the fact that he stopped 9-10 breakaways at a NAHL practice last season.  On the other hand I would not doubt that it would take twenty breakaways for Souths top scorer to score three goals on Okland.  Saying North will be facing 40-50 shots a game against the top teams in the East is outrageous.  Wahpeton faced an average of 37 shots on net last year and I would assume North will be better than Wahpeton correct?  Also, North's defense may however be weak, but are they the only players on the ice stopping an oncoming rush?  Many teams will have a difficult time getting the puck past their own blueline when Norths top line is on the ice so in that regard I don't think their D will pose too much of a threat for that instance.  Just my opinion...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the other side to that, I think north goes from outhouse to penthouse if okland plays. They go from vying for that 4th spot to having an decent chance at getting to the EDC championchip, Hes proven before that he can take games out of the kids hands. He was the top rated goaltender at the select 17 festival, in closing it all rests on his shoulders norths fate is in his hands.

Well, in any case, it should be a very interesting season and most of the EDC schools have at least a few excellent players. It will be interesting to see how they match up against one another and what happens after the season when Team North Dakota tryouts begin. This group of seniors could have a great year playing together in Chicago.

Speaking of seniors, and quality players, there are a few who are having success after high school. Jordan Willert (Tri-City) and Jake Marto (Omaha) are in the USHL, Charlie Bair has a few points with the Bismarck Bobcats, and Rody Selk is with the F/M Jets. Jake Vigen is with the Portage LaPrairie Terriers Junior Team across the border in Manitoba along with Jordan McIntyre (an 04 grad). I have been unable to find any info on Ostenrude or Stadstad although they both tried out for junior teams. Sam Aide is listed with the Bozeman Blackhawks Junior "B" but has not played in any games - maybe he is not on the team. Chris Cusey of North is with the Minnesota Owls Junior "B" in Bloomington. Are there any others out there playing? Of course Mario is at Tri City and John Halstenson is with the Jets. Former North High and Moorhead player Corey Loos is in Bozeman.

You make some good points XtotheZ. North would most definitly struggle trying to roll two lines. The only way I could see that working is with a very intense workout program to prepare their top players for this kind of use. On the other hand, how long does it take an elite player to recover from a shift? Thats tough to calculate being that practically all atheletes have different levels of endurance and so forth. However, last season believe Nick Klenow played 6 straight minutes against Red River on consecutive penalty kills and North successfully killed the power play. I believe they played with one forward on D for this time because they had so many D in the box. So if endurance throughout the game is the issue I don't think it will play a major factor in most games. I also believe it would be reasonable to believe that Klein may play defense on the power play or penalty kill. I remember seeing forward Chris Cusey out on D for Norths top power play but that might change with the coaching change.

My point- It will be very difficult for a team to score more than one goal on Elliot Okland. In 2001 a goalie named Aaron Walski set a record against Grand Forks Red River roughriders in the state title game for saves and pushed the game into 5 overtimes. Who was taking all these shots anyway? Future Minnesota Gophers Danny Irmen and Ryan Potunly thats who. If Aaron Walski, a goalie not even on the same level as Mr. Okland was able to stop two of the WCHA's best in their high school days, with those facts how will Okland perform against players that are far worse than Irmen and Potunly were in high school? You tell me...

You make some good points XtotheZ.  North would most definitly struggle trying to roll two lines.  The only way I could see that working is with a very intense workout program to prepare their top players for this kind of use.  On the other hand, how long does it take an elite player to recover from a shift?  Thats tough to calculate being that practically all atheletes have different levels of endurance and so forth. However, last season believe Nick Klenow played 6 straight minutes against Red River on consecutive penalty kills and North successfully killed the power play.  I believe they played with one forward on D for this time because they had so many D in the box.  So if endurance throughout the game is the issue I don't think it will play a major factor in most games.  I also believe it would be reasonable to believe that Klein may play defense on the power play or penalty kill.  I remember seeing forward Chris Cusey out on D for Norths top power play but that might change with the coaching change.

My point- It will be very difficult for a team to score more than one goal on Elliot Okland.  In 2001 a goalie named Aaron Walski set a record against Grand Forks Red River roughriders in the state title game for saves and pushed the game into 5 overtimes.  Who was taking all these shots anyway?  Future Minnesota Gophers Danny Irmen and Ryan Potunly thats who.  If Aaron Walski, a goalie not even on the same level as Mr. Okland was able to stop two of the WCHA's best in their high school days, with those facts how will Okland perform against players that are far worse than Irmen and Potunly were in high school? You tell me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grievences

1. no one can be fresh for six minutes

2. North was weak last year, even by thier standards.

3. irmen and potunly were sophmores (very very good sophmores but still sophmores.)

4. Walski was hot, he played out of his mind. ( okland could do the same but thats asking alot.)

5. please give me a reason on why one of norths top two forwards would play defence on the penalty kill? is that or isn't one of the most ridiculous ideas you've ever heard.

6. okland won't being playing for north anyway, so we can probably stop talking about him as a member of that team.

7. rolling two lines is a poor idea, but yes they do need a workout program.

1. no one can be fresh for six minutes

2. North was weak last year, even by thier standards.

3. irmen and potunly were sophmores (very very good sophmores but still sophmores.)

4. Walski was hot, he played out of his mind. ( okland could do the same but thats asking alot.)

5. please give me a reason on why one of norths top two forwards would play defence on the penalty kill? is that or isn't one of the most ridiculous ideas you've ever heard.

6. okland won't being playing for north anyway, so we can probably stop talking about him as a member of that team.

7. rolling two lines is a poor idea, but yes they do need a workout program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no problem with playing forwards, as defensemen. It can give you an offensive spark but putting them on penalty kill is frivilous. Also ,I don't think north has this never ending supply of great skating forwards that they can have two pk units and have forwards playing d. I can think of two, maybe theres more i dont know.

- Also i over looked this last time. How can you say walksi isn't on oklands level? That is one weirdest comments ive ever read on here. Your saying a goalie playing with the sioux isn't on the same level as a back-up for the FM Jets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no problem with playing forwards, as defensemen. It can give you an offensive spark but putting them on penalty kill is frivilous. Also ,I don't think north has this never ending supply of great skating forwards that they can have two pk units and have forwards playing d. I can think of two, maybe theres more i dont know.

- Also i over looked this last time. How can you say walksi isn't on oklands level? That is one weirdest comments ive ever read on here. Your saying a goalie playing with the sioux isn't on the same level as a back-up for the FM Jets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Specifics is the poster who said that Walski was not on the same level as Okland. I think what he meant by that is that if you look at Aaron Walski as a senior in high school (and I might add he is a great kid and an excellent goalie who deserves all the opportunity he can get with the Sioux) that Aaron had not accomplished what Okland had done at the same stage of development. As good as Aaron was he never went to a US Hockey National Select Festival - Okland did and he had the top save percentage among all goalies at the Festival. In fact, he was named as an alternate to the US team that went to Europe later that summer. Also, Okland was picked up by a NAHL team as a junior and senior in high school. I think that is the basis of the comparison - where those two players were at the same stage of their careers - not comparing OKland now to the current Sioux player Walski. Who knows - maybe Okland will be playing for the Sioux in a couple of years too. Also, and I don't mean this as a put down to Aaron but he played juniors after high school on the Junior "B" level before moving on to Lincoln in the USHL. I think on objective look at the facts will clearly show that based on experiences going into the start of their senior year Okland has better credentials. Again, hockey can be a twisted path to the top - I don't mean to minimize Aaron who is a fine goalie. At the same age Okland's resume seems to be more impressive. That's my read on this comparison.

Again, the puck is dropped in about a month - then we can talk about performance and not speculation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

XtotheZ- The purpose of playing a forward at defense on the penalty kill would not be for "offensive spark". You want your four best penalty killers on the ice at one time and if 3 of those players happen to be forwards, it would only be logical to put of one them at defense.

On the topic of Walski not being on Oklands level (at the same age) the reasoning is obvious. Can you find anything that Walski accomplished when he was a junior and senior in high school that Okland has not? Okland was a National Select 17 standout, alternate for the National team, and made the NAHL's FM Jets as a junior. The NAHL rarely recruits players to forgoe their high school team to play at the Jr level and for a team to take Okland that says numbers about his maturity and level of play. Also, you say he is a "backup" for the Jets, in a sense you are correct. But had Okland not left the Jets after making the preliminary roster for the Tri-City Storm of the USHL I am confident he would split games 50/50 at the very least. After Oklands departure the Jets picked up a 3rd goalie, now making Elliot one of FOUR goalies. Do you honestly think they are going to just hand him the starting spot after leaving to play for another team? It wouldnt matter how good he was, he would have to earn that spot all over again.

Someone asked what Okland will be doing this season... as of right now Elliot is rostered with the FM Jets and has not dressed in the last two games. I doubt he is pleased with the four goalie situation and that might be the main reason he is considering playing before season and after with the Jets and taking his spot between the pipes to North in the meantime. It has to be a tough situation for a high school kid or any kid for that matter and I wish him the best of luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For all future references: ND's best defenseman's name is spelled Tyler Jundt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He may be a very good player but an objective analysis of accomplishments by North Dakota high school defensemen does not support your conclusion. His name is not listed on any of the USA Hockey Select teams in the past. In addition, he is not rostered on the top fall developmental teams - High School Elite I or High School Elite II. In reviewing the available statewide data on high school players last year on the ND High School website he is not listed as a top scorer. However, Erick Galt is listed as one of the top scorers last season and is currently playing on the Elite I team and was on Ellite II. Andy Petersen of Grafton has been to three of four USA Hockey National Festivals, has drawn some attention from scouts and has played on Elite I and Elite II in the past. An objective analysis would suggest that these two players have accomplished more and would be rated above any other defensemen in the state at this time.