SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to think we thought Central might not be at the Ralph this year. Tough break for Ross Richards' squad I bet you'll be able to hear a pin drop in their locker room tomorrow when this is announced, same for Fargo North. This guy thinks we'll see the same 4 EDC teams represented in the same seed as last year at state.

So now with central's win over GPR does that give them the tie break over north for the 5th seed because aren't they tied in points now.

Yes Central has the tie break over north becasue they beat them twice. The only way Central could get bumped out of 5th is if North beats South, and South beats Central... but i just cant see North beating South.

If North was to beat South, with a Central loss to South and a WF loss to Jamestown, then North has the tie breaker over WF for the 4th seed. Then Central would be in 6th.

I believe this is correct but if it isnt please feel free to correct me.

One more question, does Shanley have anymore conference games?

And to think we thought Central might not be at the Ralph this year. Tough break for Ross Richards' squad I bet you'll be able to hear a pin drop in their locker room tomorrow when this is announced, same for Fargo North. This guy thinks we'll see the same 4 EDC teams represented in the same seed as last year at state.

Grafton was the second seed last year, this year they will be the third.

I was at the GFC/GPR game and that is the best that GFC has looked to me- all year. Simple reason, they skated- they pressured and pestered. Perfect example Barclays gw goal was because he pressured the dman, caused a turnover and scored. Couple of things however, credit GPR who I thought didn't play particularly well through the first 2 periods trailing 2 nothing to regroup and bring the heat in the 3rd tying the game at 2.

GPR's Zach Miller sometimes gets lost in the Campbell boy's shadow but he is a skilled player who will go to the net. I think its great that Central is starting to put it together, because whether they make state or not is not the issue to me, but my hope is that it will throw another team into the mix of possibilities at the Regional, which should be fun.

See you all next Thursday.

Yes Central has the tie break over north becasue they beat them twice. The only way Central could get bumped out of 5th is if North beats South, and South beats Central... but i just cant see North beating South.

If North was to beat South, with a Central loss to South and a WF loss to Jamestown, then North has the tie breaker over WF for the 4th seed. Then Central would be in 6th.

I believe this is correct but if it isnt please feel free to correct me.

One more question, does Shanley have anymore conference games?

Shanley has no more conference games remaining. North has only South this afternoon at 4:30. Difficult time to play South with the emotional loss of Tony Deichert. Thus, the pairings look like this:

South v. Jamestown or Wahpeton (probably Jamestown, although Nick Spenningsby is injured)

Red River v. Shanley

Grafton v. North

West Fargo v. Central.

The last match-up is very interesting. Central is playing very well based upon recent wins over Grafton and Warroad. They have also beaten East Grand Forks and Minot this year. However, West Fargo beat them twice this year. West Fargo plays a very sound defensive game and are very physical, so I would not count them out, particularly with Tim Capouch on the bench (West Fargo assistant coach), who is one of the better coaches in the state.

It is also interesting that some of our posters who have constantly stated how "terrible" ND hockey is this year, particularly in the east other than South, Red River and Grafton, may not be entirely accurate. That is based upon the fact that South and Red River have had some lopsided scores against the other teams in the state. The other teams, although not great, have some good players and are capable of beating some good teams. A case in point:

West Fargo beat Central twice and Fergus Falls

North beat Devils Lake on its own rink. They were not embarassed by Blake and Breck

Shanley beat Central and Hazen

Central beat Minot, EGF, Warroad and Grafton

Jamestown beat Grafton and Lake of the Woods

The fact of the matter is, South and Red River are just very good. South beat Moorhead (which was no fluke), and Moorhead continues to beat some of the top teams in Minnesota (Centennial, White Bear Lake, Roseau, etc.). South also beat Hastings, Rochester and Stillwater, and pummeled Crookston (the score was only 4-1, but it was very one-sided). South could play with any team in Minnesota this year. The senior group has been beating the top teams from Minnesota since squirts, so the success this year is not at all surprising. South has the two best players in the state, who would excel anywhere--Weisgarber and Galt. If anyone does not believe that, look at the Elite 1 stats for this year. Weisgarber was the leading scorer on a team that was loaded with the best players from Section 8 in Minnesota, including Jordy Christian, McMillan from Roseau, Aaron Marvin from Warroad, etc. Red River is also capable of beating anyone with a strong defense (Delisle, Galbraeth, LaDoucer) and goaltender and a few very good senior forwards (Mihulka, Spies, Brown).

Grafton has several elite players with the Campbell cousins, Peterson, Zach Miller, Tanner Anderson and Tanner Hills. There are elite players from North (Klenow, Klein, Fischer), Shanley (Harrie), Jamestown (Welding, Spenningsby), Central (Slominski, Simonson). The problem that the other teams have is lack of depth, but they have good players. Minot lost Willert and a few other players, or they would be competing for a state title. I don't think that ND hockey is "down", it is just that a few programs are way up this year.

Best of luck to all of the teams and their players.

Another reason GPR looked so good in the 3rd period is because Laducer (ref) likes to show he is the man and 2 of Central's better players spent most of the period in the box with 10 minute misconducts - Slominski and Greicar. Slominski was in for the entire 10 minutes and Greicar was put in with a few minutes left in the period.

Another reason GPR looked so good in the 3rd period is because Laducer (ref) likes to show he is the man and 2 of Central's better players spent most of the period in the box with 10 minute misconducts - Slominski and Greicar. Slominski was in for the entire 10 minutes and Greicar was put in with a few minutes left in the period.

What did they get misconducts for?

Laducer once gave one of my players a 10 minute misconduct for "staring at him". That same game he gave another player a 10 minute misconduct for saying "crap", after losing the puck. That was also the same game I was tossed out for "looking at him funny". In my five years of coaching that is the only penalty I ever received.

About two weeks later we had Laducer in a state tourny game, against West Fargo. That game, West Fargo had a kid tossed for "slamming the door in on the bench", I was standing about five feet away and this kid did not slam the door any harder than any one else. The West Fargo coach asked Laducer about it and was tossed out of the game.

I cannot understand why this guy is still reffing youth games, let alone high school games. End Laducer rant.

Skateshattrick makes a good point about the talent in ND HS hockey. However, I think some posting on here are not very realistic about that talent. Very few ND kids go on to play D1 hockey. Even more rare is the ND kid who does not leave to play juniors making a D1 squad. Obviously Weisgarber is a D1 prospect, as are Galt and Mihulka. After that there are not many seniors that will likely play college hockey in the state.

Depth has always been the problem with ND HS hockey. This years South team is probably one of the deapest I've ever seen. They have three very good lines. RR also has depth, but they are relying on a lot of Sophomores, at least they have the few times I have seen them play.

As far as North goes, they have first line who would be first line (forwards only) players on almost any team. However, they have no depth. In the past few years Northside youth hockey has been down. Many of the good athletes on the Northside appear to be playing bouncy ball for some reason :)

Laducer once gave one of my players a 10 minute misconduct for "staring at him". That same game he gave another player a 10 minute misconduct for saying "crap", after losing the puck. That was also the same game I was tossed out for "looking at him funny". In my five years of coaching that is the only penalty I ever received.

About two weeks later we had Laducer in a state tourny game, against West Fargo. That game, West Fargo had a kid tossed for "slamming the door in on the bench", I was standing about five feet away and this kid did not slam the door any harder than any one else. The West Fargo coach asked Laducer about it and was tossed out of the game.

I cannot understand why this guy is still reffing youth games, let alone high school games. End Laducer rant.

Skateshattrick makes a good point about the talent in ND HS hockey. However, I think some posting on here are not very realistic about that talent. Very few ND kids go on to play D1 hockey. Even more rare is the ND kid who does not leave to play juniors making a D1 squad. Obviously Weisgarber is a D1 prospect, as are Galt and Mihulka. After that there are not many seniors that will likely play college hockey in the state.

Depth has always been the problem with ND HS hockey. This years South team is probably one of the deapest I've ever seen. They have three very good lines. RR also has depth, but they are relying on a lot of Sophomores, at least they have the few times I have seen them play.

As far as North goes, they have first line who would be first line (forwards only) players on almost any team. However, they have no depth. In the past few years Northside youth hockey has been down. Many of the good athletes on the Northside appear to be playing bouncy ball for some reason :)

Good post. I think a lot of people don't realize how difficult it really is to make it to the D-1 game. Just because you are a great high school player does not mean you will adapt to the Jr or College ranks. However, I feel their might be a handful of players who have the ability to play Division 3 hockey somewhere, even if not in the MIAC. South is a extremely deep team this season, and I think thats why it seems everyone else is way behind them (exception to the fact Red River, who upset South). Tough game for North today, having to play an emotional South team who needs a W to stay in the running for the 1 seed.

Good post. I think a lot of people don't realize how difficult it really is to make it to the D-1 game. Just because you are a great high school player does not mean you will adapt to the Jr or College ranks. However, I feel their might be a handful of players who have the ability to play Division 3 hockey somewhere, even if not in the MIAC. South is a extremely deep team this season, and I think thats why it seems everyone else is way behind them (exception to the fact Red River, who upset South). Tough game for North today, having to play an emotional South team who needs a W to stay in the running for the 1 seed.

I agree. It is a big jump to D 1 from high school. I also think that there more players in N.D. that could play at that level, IF GIVEN THE CHANCE! That's the biggest obstacle for most of the area players. There are so many really good hockey players especially in Minnesota that it is very hard to get noticed. Unless they can compare a player against great competition, the may not want to "take a chance" on a North Dakota kid. The junior route is one way to show your skills, but you run into the same problems as D1. They look at the Minnesota kids first. Its not fair but thats the reality of the situation, although it may be getting better. With the development of the Elite leagues in Minnesota which gives ND kids a chance to play against the top players from Minnesota, they are able to show that they can play at that level. As an earlier post stated, Weisgarber led his team in scoring that included Christian from Moorhead. I believe they played on the same line. Also, Erik Galt led the defensemen in scoring .... for the WHOLE LEAGUE!!! , ahead of some D1 signees. I would assume that they are getting some looks from the Junior teams, but I don't see them being mentioned in any of the D1 recruiting threads. To me, that's disappointing. They are outperforming others on the ice, but not getting the same consideration. End of rant!

As usual, good post Jason. There are a number of kids who will try to play on, whether it be at Junior A, Junior B, or even small college. ND Pride listed some of them. There really is some talent in ND, it is just spread out. The Elite 1 and 2 teams did very well against Minnesota competition. It is really a question of opportunity. If some of these kids get a chance, I think they will surprise you. They may not play D1, but they will at least play junior hockey. Some will play college, either at D3 or D1. How is your cousin Corey doing? Is he still playing Junior hockey?

it probably will not be the last time that Slominski gets a 10 minute misconduct

As usual, good post Jason. There are a number of kids who will try to play on, whether it be at Junior A, Junior B, or even small college. ND Pride listed some of them. There really is some talent in ND, it is just spread out. The Elite 1 and 2 teams did very well against Minnesota competition. It is really a question of opportunity. If some of these kids get a chance, I think they will surprise you. They may not play D1, but they will at least play junior hockey. Some will play college, either at D3 or D1. How is your cousin Corey doing? Is he still playing Junior hockey?

Thanks. Cory is done for the season. He is looking at major reconstructive surgery on his wrist, for the second time. It is pretty likely he is done playing hockey for good, he is at UND hanging out with Brian Lee, living vicariously through him.

There are a number of players who could play DIII. I wish Concordia would focus on their program more, they could have some really good teams if they recruited more locally. I know a few Moorhead kids (Cory Johnson, Ryan Clukey and others) are playing now. I do not know of any ND kids playing in the MIAC, in the past I know Jared Klava played somewhere in the MIAC. Toby Schneider, Christian Keidrowski, and Mike Gast played for Concordia.

If street rumors are true I've heard Adam Campbell from Fargo South will play at Concordia next year, and they may be interested in WF's Steven Burdick. I'd love to see Concordia some more locals they have a good foundation over there with those twins from Hibbing I believe :). Any word on South-North yet?

If South wins today the EDC title will be decided tomorrow. South needs to take care of business against a confident Central team and hope Grafton stays within 3 of the Riders. Does anybody have any info on the WDA race?

All the seeds are set except for 2,3,4 in the WDA. Minot is 1, Hazen is 5, Bismarck-Century is 6, Dickinson 7, Mandan 8, Bottineau 9. It is all going to come down to tonight and tomorrow. Basically there are a bunch of scenarios, but I know that it will definetely come down to the final games for Bismarck High, Devils Lake, and Williston. Devils Lake plays Bottineau tonight and Minot tomorrow night. Williston and Bismarck are head to head tomorrow night. So basically the games are huge. I don't know all the scenarios or what would have to happen for each team to take a certain place though.