SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not long ago Century had the most mature team in the west and it underperformed.

Now they're in a youth cycle (and giving up touchdowns apparently).

Moral: You have to strike when the iron is hot.

Fargo South's iron is hot right now. What'll they do with it in February and March?

I have an answer to your question for the month of March. I know for sure that in March they will have their banquet and look at pictures and video of season highlights.

I have to retract my statement from earlier about Dittus. He only got two goals and two assists against Century last night. My bad... :D

The thing that will hold Minot back is there defense. Yes they did have all 6, but they are weak. It will be interesting west region that is for sure. I was at the game last night as well, they dominated the whole thing. The JV game was a different story. It was close down to the final minutes. I was thinking the varsity game might be good but no such luck. Minot came out firing right away and didn't let up.

Looks like yet another GF zealot hung up on living in the past.

I'm not saying Fargo South has a better history than Central or Red River, I'm predicting that they have a brighter future. What's wrong with that?

The problem is you don't have a clue, Fargo south Pewee A team has lost to both GF teams already this year, they also lost to a couple of Bismarck teams. not to say that pewees means alot, but Fargo's future is in the hands of south and the future there isn't looking so good, is it now?

Any word on the RR-Grafton game tonight?

When I left after the second period Red River was winning 3-0. In the first period Red River scored 2 goals on probably 3 or 4 shots while Grafton controlled the period but just couldn't put the puck in the net.

A few scores from tonight :

Fargo Shanley 5, Hazen-Beulah 4

Devils Lake 4, Mandan 1

Bismarck High 4, Williston 2

I heard that Michael Hillman, in net, was again the story in this one. He had 25 saves for the Demons. Williston outshot BHS, but lost the game. Bismarck High led 3-1 after 2 periods of play. Williston scored to make it 3-2 in the 3rd, but that's as close as they would get.

I still haven't heard a score from the Red River/Grafton-Park River Game or the Jamestown/Fargo North game.

A few scores from tonight :

Fargo Shanley 5, Hazen-Beulah 4

Devils Lake 4, Mandan 1

Bismarck High 4, Williston 2

I heard that Michael Hillman, in net, was again the story in this one. He had 25 saves for the Demons. Williston outshot BHS, but lost the game. Bismarck High led 3-1 after 2 periods of play. Williston scored to make it 3-2 in the 3rd, but that's as close as they would get.

I still haven't heard a score from the Red River/Grafton-Park River Game or the Jamestown/Fargo North game.

Red River 4, Grafton 1. Norht 5, Jamestown 3.

I was at the RR-Grafton game tonight and it was pretty even, except for the goalie play. The final score was 4-1, with Grafton's lone goal coming on a tip-in with about 4 minutes left in the third period. The goalie play was the story tonight, with Eli Rosendahl coming up huge for the Riders and Kringstad looking shaky at best. I came to the arena thinking that I would see a battle of the state's two top goalies, but that was simply not the case. I think this game showed who the top 2 teams in the state really are - South and Red River. Grafton has two good players, but the Riders really shut them down tonight.

One thing that I did notice, however, was the attitude of Grafton goalie Tony Kringstad. He drew one penalty and took a few cheap shots at other Red River players. At one point in the second period, I went to stand behind the Grafton net. During one stoppage of play, Kringstad pulled off his mask and made an obscene gesture to some fans standing behind the net. I was quite unimpressed with his play and his actions.

Don't worry X2theZ I feel a real breakthrough game tonight :D. It's not even worth trying to have a logical conversation with hockeyman25 as he has hardly matured enough mentally to carry on a conversation without acting like a 12 year old (which he may very well be). So I'm gonna lay it on the line for everyone else...

Grand Forks been dominating High School hockey since the first day they touched the ice.

The number and consistency of state championships won has STARTED to diminish in the Grand Forks area.

Hockey programs in Fargo have become increasingly stronger than in the past.

Given a little extra LUCK (yeah, luck) Fargo school's could have won state titles in 99, 01, 04, 05.

Fargo is narrowing the gap there once was between Fargo and Grand Forks.

Fargo South is currently undefeated.

Grand Forks has a great hockey community.

Fargo is catching up to them.

Fargo hockey hasn't proved anything as shown by state titles which is the only thing that matters. If you watched the RR/FS game it could have gone either way. I have also heard that Fargo is creating a new high school which would decline the numbers of FS. Another thing to think about is I hope FS is getting better now since there school district has almost the same population as GF. Another thing to look at is the other previous post on how FS has a student population about equal to GFC and RR combined.

When I left after the second period Red River was winning 3-0. In the first period Red River scored 2 goals on probably 3 or 4 shots while Grafton controlled the period but just couldn't put the puck in the net.

May I add that Grafton only had about 5 shots that were shot from the outside of the tops of the circles in the first period. Grafton did dominate the first half of the first. There wasn't really that much offense. RR capitalized on its first PP of the game and ended up scoring 3 of their 4 goals on the PP. RR won the game 4-1. Grafton's lone goal came off of a bunch of redirections in the front of the net that RR's goalie Eli Rosendahl had no chance to save.

Fargo hockey hasn't proved anything as shown by state titles which is the only thing that matters. If you watched the RR/FS game it could have gone either way. I have also heard that Fargo is creating a new high school which would decline the numbers of FS. Another thing to think about is I hope FS is getting better now since there school district has almost the same population as GF. Another thing to look at is the other previous post on how FS has a student population about equal to GFC and RR combined.

The statistic to look at would be the number of males trying out for the schools hockey team not the number of males in the school. I am almost positive that both Red River and Central have way more kids going out for hockey than North or South. Anyone have the actual numbers?

The statistic to look at would be the number of males trying out for the schools hockey team not the number of males in the school. I am almost positive that both Red River and Central have way more kids going out for hockey than North or South. Anyone have the actual numbers?

I don't have any numbers but that is definately the case. South is a football school and a lot of the best athletes end up playing football or basketball. GF is hockey central so I assume most of the athletes play hockey. So not only are more kids going out for hockey but most of the best athletes are probably playing hockey as well. I think that pretty much neutralizes the advantage that is South having a bigger base to draw players from.

As for who is the best GF or Fargo who really cares all three high schools have had great teams in the past few years and all three have been pretty equal. Really I don't think anyone school is going to dominate the next decade, I think they will all stay pretty equal.

I was at the RR-Grafton game tonight and it was pretty even, except for the goalie play. The final score was 4-1, with Grafton's lone goal coming on a tip-in with about 4 minutes left in the third period. The goalie play was the story tonight, with Eli Rosendahl coming up huge for the Riders and Kringstad looking shaky at best. I came to the arena thinking that I would see a battle of the state's two top goalies, but that was simply not the case. I think this game showed who the top 2 teams in the state really are - South and Red River. Grafton has two good players, but the Riders really shut them down tonight.

One thing that I did notice, however, was the attitude of Grafton goalie Tony Kringstad. He drew one penalty and took a few cheap shots at other Red River players. At one point in the second period, I went to stand behind the Grafton net. During one stoppage of play, Kringstad pulled off his mask and made an obscene gesture to some fans standing behind the net. I was quite unimpressed with his play and his actions.

I too saw Kringstad's obscene gesture, and what I found worst about it was they were down 3-0. Maybe this kid needs to get his head in the game and stop acting like Marcus Vick by cocking off when his team is down 3 goals.

Fargo South - 1106

Minot - 981

Bismarck High - 873

West Fargo - 859

Bismarck Century - 788

Fargo North - 666

Grand Forks Red River - 639

Grand Forks Central - 622

Mandan - 543

Dickinson - 493

Jamestown - 437

Williston - 391

Devils Lake-Cando - 387

Wahpeton- 285

Hazen-Beulah - 285

Grafton-Park River - 238

Fargo Shanley - 176

Bottineau - 169

Those numbers for Fargo South males don't seem right to me. I think that's the number of total students at the school, grades 10-12. ND Pride I'm sure you can find out if this data is accurate.

According to the Fargo public schools web page, the January 2006 total enrollment for Fargo South (10-12) is 1565. For GF Central, the total 10-12 enrollment is 810 (9-12 enrollment is 1136). I couldn't find the Red River enrollment, and didn't look for any other schools.

Stiouxy your line of thinking is right on. Those are the types of variables you have to look at to do a valid analysis. I think South was down this year in terms of the number of kids trying out - I think I heard about 60 but I am sure there are some South people here who can come up with a more accurate number. I think I heard that North had about 42 kids try out. Does anyone have data on the Grand Forks schools?

This number issue is only part of the analysis. If it were only numbers then there would be no reason to explain the quality at Grafton or Roseau and Warroad (although with Warroad you could argue in-migration of quality players, or maybe "recruiting"), etc. Hockey culture is critical - that means tradition, dads who have played the game and know the game. Having UND in Grand Forks is also a tremendous asset as it provides kids with a high level of exposure to the sport. In addition, some of those Sioux players stay around the area and help with the youth programs - e.g. Rob Mihulka, Pierre Lamoureux, etc. Others like Bob Wedin (Sam's dad) played on state championship teams when they were in high school. There are a lot of people like that in Grand Forks and it is a tremendous resource. Grand Forks has the strongest hockey culture in the state.

A lot of the discussion on this thread about the future is heavily speculative. So speculative as to be close to meaningless. I pointed out months ago on this board that if and when Fargo adds another southside public high school it will dilute the talent a ton. Shanley has already had some negative impact on local public schools in taking hockey kids out of the established schools. New programs give more kids an opportunity to participate and that is good. On the downside it makes it harder for any one or two teams to develop or maintain dominance.

It would be great if all of the schools across the state had strong programs as it would be good for the sport and good for player development. Currently that is not the case. I am not from Grand Forks so this post is not intended to compliment the town where I live. I hope the second half of the season can be a productive one for all of the teams.

Fargo South - 1106

Minot - 981

Bismarck High - 873

West Fargo - 859

Bismarck Century - 788

Fargo North - 666

Grand Forks Red River - 639

Grand Forks Central - 622

Mandan - 543

Dickinson - 493

Jamestown - 437

Williston - 391

Devils Lake-Cando - 387

Wahpeton- 285

Hazen-Beulah - 285

Grafton-Park River - 238

Fargo Shanley - 176

Bottineau - 169

Those numbers for Fargo South males don't seem right to me. I think that's the number of total students at the school, grades 10-12. ND Pride I'm sure you can find out if this data is accurate.

I posted these numbers in an earlier post and they are correct, at least according to the North Dakota High School Activities Association. Check again for yourself :

http://ndhsaa.com/athletics/football/football_2005_07.pdf

I too saw Kringstad's obscene gesture, and what I found worst about it was they were down 3-0. Maybe this kid needs to get his head in the game and stop acting like Marcus Vick by cocking off when his team is down 3 goals.

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the game, I did not see this gesture or any Red river kids in the student section. You'd figure a top teir program such as Red river would be able to festure up more then 13 kids to sit in the student section.

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the game, I did not see this gesture or any Red river kids in the student section. You'd figure a top teir program such as Red river would be able to festure up more then 13 kids to sit in the student section.

But give the 13 kids who were there credit, they made themselves known.

But give the 13 kids who were there credit, they made themselves known.

This brings up an intriguing point. What happened to the crowds at Grand Forks high school hockey games? If it's not Red River-Central does nobody seem to care? Granted they always draw well around state tournament time, but the regular season crowds obviously have diminished. I remember in back in my hayday the crowds at Purpur were raucous all night. It used to be a fun building to play in and to watch a game. It seems like after the renovation the life just got sucked out of it. And finally what does everyone think is the toughest environment east or west to play in? I would assume Grafton would have to be near the top of the list.

This brings up an intriguing point. What happened to the crowds at Grand Forks high school hockey games? If it's not Red River-Central does nobody seem to care? Granted they always draw well around state tournament time, but the regular season crowds obviously have diminished. I remember in back in my hayday the crowds at Purpur were raucous all night. It used to be a fun building to play in and to watch a game. It seems like after the renovation the life just got sucked out of it. And finally what does everyone think is the toughest environment east or west to play in? I would assume Grafton would have to be near the top of the list.

The students now have to pay per individual games in GF, unlike the way it might have been back in "your hayday."

Something like the student activity fee isn't automatically added anymore for every student.

Yea back when I played, purpur was always full when we came down. I think this is maybe a testament to the kids, maybe they are too aragent and the people at school choose not to support them, thats what happend with our bball teams back in the day. I am wondering if the state tournament were to be held in a different city if ANY of thier fellow students would even make the trip.

Its been a while since i've played but, one rink that was always tough was jamestown. They had a solid pep band, and most of the time very questionable officiating.

The students now have to pay per individual games in GF, unlike the way it might have been back in "your hayday."

Something like the student activity fee isn't automatically added anymore for every student.

NO, you dont have to pay per game. You can purchase an activity pass for 25$ which is good for all events excluding tournaments.