SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Just a few stats from Gillen's page that show just how dominating South has been...

Shots

FSH- 310 Opp.- 99

Goals

FSH- 52 Opp.- 4

Assists

FSH- 69 Opp.- 3

FSH- 121 Opp.- 7

GAA

FSH- 0.6 Opp.- 8.17

Even the GF natives have to give credit to these guys.

Edited by Stiouxy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...like that will happen. ;)

I'll give Fargo South props because from what I've seen they are the best team in the state. Beating Red River and Grafton on the road isn't easy, and they've got the goaltending this season to guide them through any rough streches of play. Its a long season, but I expect them to be playing in the state championship game.

Was he the only kid they lost? I still think they had a very good summer team and beat some pretty good teams. They beat TRF who beat Warroad last night and Detroit Lakes who is decent. I thought they would dominate the West and play the East teams tough. Thanks for the update.

Just a few stats from Gillen's page that show just how dominating South has been...

Shots

FSH- 310 Opp.- 99

Goals

FSH- 52 Opp.- 4

Assists

FSH- 69 Opp.- 3

FSH- 121 Opp.- 7

GAA

FSH- 0.6 Opp.- 8.17

I am not from Grand Forks, and South does have a great team, but focusing on stats like that can be misleading. They played Bismarck twice, a weak team, and picked up a total of 12 goals against them (in two games) and then another 25 against Wahpeton. Their games against Red River and Grafton were 2-1 games. North is not strong and neither is Central so really if I were coaching I would ignore the dominance of weak opponents and keep the kids focused on the challenges that lie ahead with the tougher teams. Overconfidence and not respecting the competition can be a downfall for many high level teams. Good luck to them through the rest of their schedule. It will be the end of season outcomes that matter most not stats against opponents across the state in a down year for hockey at most schools.

Does anyone know what happened to Shanley's Pat Thomas. I know that he was injured in last nights game, but what was the outcome?

Apparently he sustained a serious cut on the arm by a skate blade. I heard this second hand - apparently no nerve damage but some tendon damage. An adult friend of the family mentioned that today at a health club. He will miss some games but beyond that did not have a lot of details. Again, this is second hand info.

I am not from Grand Forks, and South does have a great team, but focusing on stats like that can be misleading. They played Bismarck twice, a weak team, and picked up a total of 12 goals against them (in two games) and then another 25 against Wahpeton. Their games against Red River and Grafton were 2-1 games. North is not strong and neither is Central so really if I were coaching I would ignore the dominance of weak opponents and keep the kids focused on the challenges that lie ahead with the tougher teams. Overconfidence and not respecting the competition can be a downfall for many high level teams. Good luck to them through the rest of their schedule. It will be the end of season outcomes that matter most not stats against opponents across the state in a down year for hockey at most schools.

I'd add that regular season domination doesn't necessarily mean that South is going to be the state champs hands down. I mean, if that were true, then South would have easily won it in football. I love what my alma mater is doing this year in hockey (South is my alma mater) but I'm not going to herald the team until they've won it all.

I'd add that regular season domination doesn't necessarily mean that South is going to be the state champs hands down. I mean, if that were true, then South would have easily won it in football. I love what my alma mater is doing this year in hockey (South is my alma mater) but I'm not going to herald the team until they've won it all.

I have to take issue with the highlighted statement, as Central did beat South in the regular season in football, and was ranked first in the state for most of the second half of the season.

I know this is a North Dakota hockey message board, but I know a lot of ND hockey rubes who have enjoyed watching the televised Minnesota high school hockey games on FSN, including myself. Four great games coming up on Tuesday night ... so set the Tivo or DVR's. Here's the list of games that are going to be broadcast :

December 27 - Schwan

Edited by ND Hockey Guy

UND92,96 --

:grumbles: Way to ruin my analogy. ;);)

Well, anyways, my point is still valid. I mean, in 2003 UND dominated all year long only to lose to Denver so how's that then? ;)

EDIT: On a different note: I love that there is a high school called "Totino Grace" maybe it could change its name to "Tortino Grace" and then get a bunch of party pizzas and pizza rolls in their cafeteria? :D

Edited by redwing77

UND92,96 --

:grumbles: Way to ruin my analogy. ;);)

Well, anyways, my point is still valid. I mean, in 2003 UND dominated all year long only to lose to Denver so how's that then? ;)

EDIT: On a different note: I love that there is a high school called "Totino Grace" maybe it could change its name to "Tortino Grace" and then get a bunch of party pizzas and pizza rolls in their cafeteria? :D

Sorry, but I had to stick up for my alma mater. ;)

Just a lil Totino-Grace fact :

The school is actually named after the pizza and pizza roll founder.

http://www.totinograce.org/se3bin/clientgenie.cgi

A quote from the website

"The school was originally named to honor Archbishop Thomas L. Grace, an early Minnesota bishop who was a pioneer in education. In 1980, the name of the school was augmented to Totino-Grace to honor the generous benefaction of Jim and Rose Totino, entrepreneurs in the frozen pizza business. Today Totino-Grace is the second largest (with a student population of approximately 1100) of the thirteen Catholic high schools in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis."

Who knew?

I just heard about this a few weeks ago. Pretty cool.

I know this is a North Dakota hockey message board, but I know a lot of ND hockey rubes who have enjoyed watching the televised Minnesota high school hockey games on FSN, including myself. Four great games coming up on Tuesday night ... so set the Tivo or DVR's. Here's the list of games that are going to be broadcast :

December 27 - Schwan

The varsity Central hockey team is playing the alumni Central hockey team tonight at 7 p.m. at Purpur Arena. All the Lamoureux's will be there, expect PJ will be coaching because of a broken wrist, the Morelands, Bina's, including Robbie, Gasparini's, Jake Stadstad, Jake Marto, Jordan McIntyre, and many more. They are doing it as a fund raise for Jason Stadstad who was diagnosed with brain cancer 2 years ago. Jason will also be coaching with PJ. Should be a fun time to see all those guys again.

Any scores from round the state tonight... I was heading back to GF tonight and I had the oppertunity to catch the williston-mandan game. Williston won 7-0 they looked surprisingly good, they are very physical and well diciplined. Although they played a weak team I think this is still one team to watch out for come the state tourney. I will enjoy watching them play again and see if they can put the puck in against a stronger opponent.

Well, the Knights vs. Redskins alumni game was really a fun one to watch. Good to see Robbie in some game action...The Lamoureux's were awesome together, with Phil scoring two goals, the first goal was Lamoureux, from Lamoureux, and Lamoureux...wish we could have seen that at UND. The alumni eventually won the game 8-4, although the HS team was leading after the first period 1-2, and definitely were dictating for a good part of the first. They raised over $2000 for Jason, and it was a great atmosphere, and just a good time overall.

Bismarck High beat Century 4-0 tonight. Bismarck pretty much physically dominated a much smaller Century team. Mike Hillman of BHS played very well(from what I hear he has been playing extremely well for the Demons) for the shutout. Some players who stood out for BHS were #25(I can't recall his name right now) had 2 goals, and Ross Monson had 2 assists I believe. I'm not sure what to think, if the Demons are starting to come around or if they are just playing weaker opponents.

Yes. The saves were 46-19, so Grothman apparently played well. Amazingly, Jamestown's best player, Zach Welding, did not even have a goal.

It's still early in the year, but this loss signifies what I have thought all along, Kringstad is overrated.

Edited by soohockey15

Yes. The saves were 46-19, so Grothman apparently played well. Amazingly, Jamestown's best player, Zach Welding, did not even have a goal.

I think North has just taken over the riens in the fight for hosting the play-in game. They may be doing this intentionaly as that is the only team they have success agianst, and want that extra game to pad their stats.

Red River is having a game similar to what Central had last night tonight at 7:00 at Purpur Arena. Former players playing include Ryan Potulny, Danny Irmen, Tim Skarperud, Mike Eickman, Nate Ziggelman, Paul Murphy, and many other former players.

Edited by ND Hockey1

Well, the Knights vs. Redskins alumni game was really a fun one to watch. Good to see Robbie in some game action...The Lamoureux's were awesome together, with Phil scoring two goals, the first goal was Lamoureux, from Lamoureux, and Lamoureux...wish we could have seen that at UND. The alumni eventually won the game 8-4, although the HS team was leading after the first period 1-2, and definitely were dictating for a good part of the first. They raised over $2000 for Jason, and it was a great atmosphere, and just a good time overall.

"Thats Lamoureux, from Lamoureax and Lamoureax as 12:05 of the first peiod." :D

Did Tony Bina play goal for the alumni squad then? I'm not sure how safe it is to let the players shoot on the coach... ;)

I played an intramural game earlier this year against Jason Stadstad's team, and it was great seeing him out on the ice. He was in good spirits, and having a great time just playing the game! ;)

I think North has just taken over the riens in the fight for hosting the play-in game. They may be doing this intentionaly as that is the only team they have success agianst, and want that extra game to pad their stats.

For the stat padding you got the city right but the school wrong. It is the other Fargo Public school that pads their stats on the teams that are in the play-in situation.

More cutting edge insight from X2theZ, the same person who brought you the post on November 2nd falsely claiming that several North Dakota high school hockey players (who he specifically named) were charged with some sort of violation. Maybe it is time to retire from posting until you have something mature to say.