SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Changes?

JBB

Apparently he wasnt good enough. Nice of Wanless to let him off the hook in a polite face saving manner. Well, its probably a lot more comfortable for you now that you dont have the dissonance of the head coach moving up but leaving the rest of you behind. ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Sac Bee this morning reports:

Wanless said Lennon was excited about the opportunity but that family concerns and the uncertainty of Sac State's next president factored into his decision.

Lennon earlier this week said he wondered whether the university will employ a president partial to athletics.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story...p-6549931c.html

I also remember a previous article in which he articulated his family's excitement over the prospect of the move. Really makes it seem like his big concern was the instability of the institution (particularly not knowing if the new president would be supportive of the move to improve athletics).

The Fargo Forum also had an article which indicated that Lennon said "the timing wasn't right" (hmmmm.... very interesting) and that he was concerned with the lack of previous success at Sac State (he didn't want to literally build a program from the ground up).

Keep bringing home the titles and the opportunities will only improve, I say.

Its clear that he wasn't selected. He may have been recruited but obviously his interview went poorly and he was given a way out by a gentleman.

If its not that he is a hayseed. Why? Because he strung out the offer, basked in the attention of the press, acted like he was interested, kept everyone on a string for a week or two and then backed out? Not very professional. More like a country boy with his head spinning in the big city lights. Just like a deer in the headlights.

Of course he may have wanted to draw the D1AA spotlight on himself so he would be positioned for a possible shot at the NDSU job or maybe Montana. Both would be significant salary increases.

Time will tell. I dont think he

Its clear that he wasn't selected.  He may have been recruited but obviously his interview went poorly and he was given a way out by a gentleman.  

If its not that he is a hayseed.  Why?  Because he strung out the offer, basked in the attention of the press,  acted like he was interested, kept everyone on a string for a week or two and then backed out?  Not very professional.  More like a country boy with his head spinning in the big city lights.  Just like a deer in the headlights.

Of course he may have wanted to draw the D1AA spotlight on himself so he would be positioned for a possible shot at the NDSU job or maybe Montana.  Both would be significant salary increases.

Time will tell.  I dont think he

I think UND has been extremely fortunate to have been able to hold on to its top coaches over the years. Dean Blais is probably the top college hockey coach in the country. Minnesota wanted him, but UND was able to step up to the plate and retain him.

Gene Roebuck has won an astounding 85% of his games during his tenure at UND, including three national championships. You could probably count on one hand the number of college basketball coaches at any level with a higher career winning percentage. While it's not particularly fashionable to hire a male to coach a female team these days, I'm sure he could have left for many division I jobs over the years with his track record for success.

Dale Lennon's accomplishments have been discussed extensively.

Roger Thomas has stayed at UND as a head coach and now as a.d. for about 17 years with a good deal of success.

One thing you have to say about UND is that there is a good deal of loyalty among many people in the athletic department. That's not to say that nobody has ever left for another job, or that one of the above named people won't leave for another school in the future. But it does seem like UND must be doing something right to retain good people for as long as they have.

I believe Lennon and his reasons for withdrawing. Without knowing who the next president is at Sac State is a big concern. With so many state supported schools in California, its hard to say who will get the president job and if state budgets are tight in California, I would not expect a big move to improve athletics. Without the President and support with athletic dollars who can be sucessful?

Dale Lennon is a class guy and will do well where-ever and and when-ever his trail leads him.

See I said something nice about UND.

PCM,

I don't read JBB's posts. A total waste of time. I wish there was an "ignore" capability on this website. Unfortunately, I just have to see who did the posting and pass over it.\

I"m happy that Lennon is staying for now. No doubt he will have the opportunity to move upward in the future. I'm sure he'll end up with a much better situation by waiting.

Joe Glenn ended up at Wyoming. I think Sac State would have been a better choice for any coach! ???

Lennon is a good coach. I never said that he wasnt. I dont know how good though. This season is certainly a question mark.

It looks like Barney Fife got his head spun around in Mt. Pilot. He knew about the situation with the presidency at Sac State. He knew everthing there was to know. He went down there with a family that was excited about the opportunity. Interviewed for the job and got turned down. By the time you get to the interview stage I think you have already made the relocation decision. I cant imagine a process that wouldnt screen those unwilling to move before the interview. So the only conclusion left is hayseed. Fife fell flat when he hopped off the turnip truck in Mt. Pilot.

He put his beloved team and school through a lot of stress. Obviously you people like him and want to retain him. He turns down a job he wanted and failed to get any obvious concessions out of his employer? Is that how the rest of you have managed your careers? I think he went out there to get the job, didnt measure up and the Gentleman, Mr. Wanless, gave him a face saving way out.

As far as Mr. Hoyts comments go, I cant stop Barney from applying for any job that comes open. NDSU may have a coaching job next week or in a couple of years. Maybe he thinks the situation in Fargo is better than in your town. Thats not too hard to imainge. I'm not the one suggesting him for NDSU, I'm the one speculating on why Fife did what he did if in fact he wasnt taken out of the process by Sac State. ???