SiouxSports.com Forum

Canad Inns

bk1

Something has been added to the list of room types..

Fighting Sioux Themed Business Suite [Available in June 2007]

* Spacious room with 1 King bed

* Adjoining boardroom seating 8 people

* Flat-screen TV in each room with premium cable

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tavern United has opened in Canad Inn.

You can read a local bloggers review of it:

Grand Cities Dining

I was in Tavern United last Friday, and I was pretty impressed with it. The beer was surprisingly cheap ($1.50 for a bottle). From what I saw of the hotel--which was really just the lobby/restaurant/water park area--it looks very nice. Despite not having done any sort of marketing yet, I was told the hotel was about 80% full for this past weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Stadium-hotel had ugly death but Ledohowski keeps building

One wonders what improvements Ledohowski might have for the Alerus Center development down the round. Would he be involved with a College Hockey Hall of Fame? Sports, folk, or art festivals?

ON the same day in April that Leo Ledohowski announced Canad Inns' ill-fated $520-million domed-stadium/hotel proposal for St. Boniface, the company also set the opening date of its $50-million hotel in Grand Forks, N.D.

Though the stadium project that is dead in the water was 10 times larger than the Canad Inns Grand Forks hotel -- now open and the talk of the town -- the two projects characterize the evolution of Ledohowski as a risk-taking entrepreneur and corporate CEO.

He and the family-owned business started buying suburban hotels in the late '70s and now Canad Inns dominates the Winnipeg suburban hotel market -- it owns seven with another on the way -- to an extent that may be unequalled in any other city in North America.

And while many similar hotels contract out the challenging management of food and beverage operations, Canad Inns has created its own restaurant brand, Aalto's, and its string of bars like Tavern United and Tijuana Yacht Club have been the preferred party spot for Winnipeg nightclubbers for years.

A month after the Winnipeg Blue Bombers turned down his domed stadium proposal in favour of a new stadium on the site of the existing one, Ledohowski did not hide the fact he was off-put by the manner in which the deal went down.

But he didn't spend much time licking his wounds. Neither did he bask in the success of the recently completed Grand Forks hotel connected to the Alerus Center, even though it was a challenging project that opens up a whole range of new possibilities for the company stateside.

For Ledohowski, it's on to the next projects. He's building a $25-million hotel at the Health Sciences Centre, planning the development of a hotel in Bismarck, N.D., and figuring out the redevelopment of the old Metropolitan Theatre on Donald Street into a bar/restaurant/rock 'n' roll museum.

The fact that he's stuck with a $1-million investment in a 160-acre parcel of land in St. Boniface with nothing to develop on it, does not cause undue concern.

"I'll think of something," he said recently. "It's not the biggest risk I have ever taken."

Fellow Winnipeg hotelier Bob Sparrow calls Ledohowski the consummate entrepreneur. And as such, there is always a potential home run with every risk taken.

I was just in Canad today and L'Bistro the newest Mediteranian/Italian resturant is going to open on Monday. It is past the waterpark. It looks great inside there.

I was just in there for an interview today if i do get the call its hard to say if i will or not just becuase i already have one job and that one looks pretty serious... works all dressed up ties and things like that... sugar, sugar substitute, sweetner... all facing same direction color coded at all time no matter what, hey you do this, you do that... just as i was interviewing a little too much of that bossy crap that we all love... but it looks to be a great restuarant without a doubt, very nice, very very professional, plus a mediteranean eatery which could be a hit... I dont know too much about it but i would reccomend giving it a try for sure...

I was just in there for an interview today if i do get the call its hard to say if i will or not just becuase i already have one job and that one looks pretty serious... works all dressed up ties and things like that... sugar, sugar substitute, sweetner... all facing same direction color coded at all time no matter what, hey you do this, you do that... just as i was interviewing a little too much of that bossy crap that we all love... but it looks to be a great restuarant without a doubt, very nice, very very professional, plus a mediteranean eatery which could be a hit... I dont know too much about it but i would reccomend giving it a try for sure...

Small world on whoever manages there who already read this and word somehow already got back to me... hoping the best for your restaurant..

• 9 months later...

If you haven't been to Canad yet, you should go try out one of the restaurants: 'l Bistro has great Italian/Mediterranean food, AALTOS is a nice cafe that also has the choice of a buffet, and Tavern United is a pretty cool sports pub to hang out at! You can also go to Playmakers to have a drink and play some blackjack, poker, etc... Parents can bring their kids to the Waterpark, and they can also play in the Arcade!

It's a great place to go and have a good time!