bk1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/sto...p-4541304c.html

Canad Inns appears to be moving forward on the grandest project yet:

THE Winnipeg Blue Bombers have a potential new home in St. Boniface, as the City of Winnipeg prepares to sell the old Canada Packers site to the Canad Inns hotel chain for $1 million.

Canad Inns and development agency Entreprises Riel want to build a "destination retail and attraction complex" in St. Boniface that would include an indoor sports and entertainment venue, a four-star hotel with 200 rooms, a 50,000-square-foot water park, a health-and-wellness centre, restaurants, bars and up to 200,000 square feet of retail space, according to confidential city documents.

There has been speculation of later expanding the Alerus/Canad Inn complex to include a wellness center and shopping. Appears they may incorporate those ideas directly into the St. Boniface development, which is not dependent on the stadium being built:

But Gousseau did say Canad Inns and Entreprises Riel would go ahead with their plan for the Public Markets even if the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team does not move to St. Boniface.

it is supposed to be opening in may. the way it is looking right now, it probably will actually open in may, even though they will probably still be tying up some loose ends. just like alot of the restaurants do. open, and then when everything is finished and running smoothly, have a "grand opening".

The General Manager was on KNOX radio in Grand Forks on Monday morning and said that they would open on May 1. He also said that they would probably open in stages over the first part of May, for instance one of the restaurants probably wouldn't open until closer to the middle of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever happened to the proposed National Collegiate Hockey Hall of Fame as part of the complex along with the Alerus and the Canad?

Canad Inn Center

The 200,000 sf, $40 million Entertainment Center will feature a 200-room four-star hotel connected directly to the Alerus Center, a 45,000 sf aquatics center, and a ten-screen cinema. The Center is the first phase of a large-scale plan to include the National Collegiate Hockey Hall of Fame and an automobile and aviation museum.

CBC - Canad Inns prepares to launch 1st U.S. hotel complex

"This would be the first outside Canada, and I understand through our owner that we're planning other very exciting projects," Jasperson said. ...

The company recently purchased the Metropolitan Theatre in downtown Winnipeg and is said to be planning to turn it into a restaurant or nightclub showcasing the city's rock-'n'-roll history.

Canad Inns also recently bought the old Canada Packers site in Winnipeg's St. Boniface neighbourhood.

Ledohowski has put forward a proposal to build a new stadium for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on the site, as well as an attached hotel complex and water park.

Political Hurdles for Canad Stadium

1111cm8.jpg

finalakeimage3ez6.jpg

interiordomesv6.jpg

Didn't someone say that this place was supposed to open on May 1st? And isn't that tomorrow?? Because I'm on the Sioux Crew board, and we get to go and test out their water park and do "slide testing" for them tomorrow. So that must mean they won't open till later in the month?

The last plan I heard was to open in stages over the next 2-3 weeks. They will start with 1 restaurant and some rooms like revolutionz said. My guess is that they would like to have the water park open by this weekend, or some time next week for sure. Then they will open a second restaurant and finally the 3rd.

From a Canad employee I know: They open tomorrow. It is a "soft" opening. One restaurant open, Waterpark being tested out tomorrow by people in the community. If you are a hotel guest, the person thought that you could use the waterpark as soon as tomorrow. (For a fee of course) Hotel will open in phases.

The waterpark was just ok. There were actually quite a few people there to test things out. They would have everyone "play" in the same area for like 20-30 minutes at a time. I wouldn't say it's super exciting, although it is quite relaxing to just be in there and hear the kids having fun and the water going. The slides were pretty lame, they looked fun but didn't quite live up to people's expectations. There were a crap ton of lifegaurds, which I don't know why because the water wasn't more than 2 feet deep anywhere and half the time they didn't really pay attention anyways. The coolest part of the whole thing was the big bucket at the top of the playground that dumped water everywhere when it got full.

I would recommend going there at least once, even if it's just to check it out. The kids will have a great time, that's for sure!

The waterpark was just ok. There were actually quite a few people there to test things out. They would have everyone "play" in the same area for like 20-30 minutes at a time. I wouldn't say it's super exciting, although it is quite relaxing to just be in there and hear the kids having fun and the water going. The slides were pretty lame, they looked fun but didn't quite live up to people's expectations. There were a crap ton of lifegaurds, which I don't know why because the water wasn't more than 2 feet deep anywhere and half the time they didn't really pay attention anyways. The coolest part of the whole thing was the big bucket at the top of the playground that dumped water everywhere when it got full.

I would recommend going there at least once, even if it's just to check it out. The kids will have a great time, that's for sure!

One thing I forgot to mention.... There is no chlorine in the water, none at all... It's kinda weird! And the water is REALLY cold!!

One thing I forgot to mention.... There is no chlorine in the water, none at all... It's kinda weird! And the water is REALLY cold!!

I assume the waterpark targets kids under the age of 16 or so with all the "splashpark" things and little animal figures. I guess I might check it out though once...

• 2 weeks later...