SiouxSports.com Forum

BRAC recommendations

Hansel

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to different media accounts I've read the past few days, New York Times, Washington Post etc., the BRAC people may not necessarily follow the recommendations from the Pentagon. At the very least, they continue to question some of its findings, namely reducing missions rather than closing completely some of the affected bases.

your sources are?

It's live on CSPAN-3. I do appreciate the updates, though, since I don't get that at work.

The whole point of these hearings is for BRAC to discuss with the Pentagon those bases on which they disagree. The hearings yesterday were an opportunity for the Pentagon to give testimony about why it made the recommendations it did (see my previous post for some info on what the Pentagon had to say about GFAFB). GFAFB is one of the bases for which BRAC questioned the Pentagon's reasoning, meaning BRAC will vote today on whether to add GFAFB to the list for closure.

GFAFB being added to BRAC's closure list still wouldn't be the final word on it being closed, rather it would allow BRAC to further study closing it altogether. Not being added to the list would be a big step toward BRAC adopting the Pentagon's recommendations.

Bases Could Be Added to Closure List also explains it well and lists the other items being considered.

It's live on CSPAN-3. I do appreciate the updates, though, since I don't get that at work.

The whole point of these hearings is for BRAC to discuss with the Pentagon those bases on which they disagree. The hearings yesterday were an opportunity for the Pentagon to give testimony about why it made the recommendations it did (see my previous post for some info on what the Pentagon had to say about GFAFB). GFAFB is one of the bases for which BRAC questioned the Pentagon's reasoning, meaning BRAC will vote today on whether to add GFAFB to the list for closure.

GFAFB being added to BRAC's closure list still wouldn't be the final word on it being closed, rather it would allow BRAC to further study closing it altogether. Not being added to the list would be a big step toward BRAC adopting the Pentagon's recommendations.

Bases Could Be Added to Closure List also explains it well and lists the other items being considered.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand the whole process, I was just wondering where IowaBison got his info, since we are hearing otherwise.

I understand the whole process, I was just wondering where IowaBison got his info, since we are hearing otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But you have to consider the sources of your information, both our congressional staff and the grand forks media have a significant interest in seeing the base around, they have been acting as cheerleaders and advocates for GFAB.

If you look at less biased media outlets, you will have seen a more serious, deliberate approach to BRAC whose commissioners have repeatedly questioned the absence of GFAB from the original BRAC list.

Given that they have added all but one of the facilities they have considered today, I can't see how Grand Forks would not be added to the list given the vocal concerns that have been voiced.

If you look at less biased media outlets, you will have seen a more serious, deliberate approach to BRAC whose commissioners have repeatedly questioned the absence of GFAB from the original BRAC list.

Given that they have added all but one of the facilities they have considered today, I can't see how Grand Forks would not be added to the list given the vocal concerns that have been voiced.

The purported reason for keeping GFAFB open, a new UAV mission, didn't make sense by itself (particularly if they choose to keep Ellsworth open, as I think is quite possible). BRAC naturally pointed that out and asked for a response from the Air Force, but they had very good answers in yesterday's sworn testimony: needing a presence on the Northern border for homeland security reasons and the possible future attractiveness of the site for a tanker missions.

How stupid will the congressional reps look if they claim advance knowledge that it won't be added, but then it is? From what I hear, it would be very surprising if GFAFB were added (some say it may not even come to a motion). I guess we'll see soon enough.

I believe that both the northern presence argument and home tankers are just as poor if not worse than the UAV mission.

Minot is only 200 miles away

and most importantly-the Soviet Union fell almost a score ago.

There is over capacity air force wide

I believe that both the northern presence argument and home tankers are just as poor if not worse than the UAV mission.

Minot is only 200 miles away

and most importantly-the Soviet Union fell almost a score ago.

There is over capacity air force wide

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure why you would want to see a base or any base close in North Dakota.

Interesting figure/

Ellsworth scored 5th among all air bases for a tanker mission, this was higher than all current active tanker bases included GFAB (41) which ranked last of all active tanker bases....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was ranked 41, but that is with that great and "accurate" data they were using.

Hidden away in all of this is that someone might actually be using some logic (finally) in the government.

- a big northern Air Force Base

- a long, unwatched border

- a UAV mission

- This: http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/n...al/12118841.htm

Wouldn't it be handy if DoD (USAF) and the Homeland Defense could come up with some way to watch 900 miles of border? :lol::D

• 1 month later...

BRAC amendment vote could keep tankers at GFAFB until at least 2010

A Base Realignment and Closure Commission member plans to offer at least one, if not two amendments to keep air refueling tankers at Grand Forks Air Force Base longer that the Pentagon's proposed realignment, Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., said late this morning.

One amendment would keep the tankers at Grand Forks until 2010, the other until 2011, Conrad said after talking with several BRAC Commission members this morning.

The Pentagon expects to have new, replacement air refueling tankers available around 2011, and several Air Force officials already have expressed a desire to station some of the new tankers at Grand Forks, according to North Dakota's congressional delegation and Gov. John Hoeven.

Conrad's contacts were good last time, so if proposed, we'll see how the commission votes on these amendments today.