SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, isn't that the truth. People don't leave a movie before it is over, but they feel comfortable leaving a one-goal hockey game with 4 minutes left? I attended UND during one of the greatest comebacks ever, a 0-5 deficit to Northern Michigan w/about 10:00 left in the game. When the Sioux made it 4-5 with about 2:00 left, you could actually see about 3,000 fans coming back INTO the arena. They tied it up and the game went into OT, where, thankfully, it ended 5-5 as opposed to a 6-5 loss. The most unbelievable comeback I have ever seen and the reason why I never leave a game until it's over.

Were you bothered by the basketball courts while living there?  I still wonder how bothersome they were?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't know the situation. It wasn't simply that the basketball court was there. Obviously, anyone who bought a house in the area knew that at the time. The problem was that the court was taken over by a group of people who had no regard for the law or respect for the rules of the park. I doubt that any of them were college students.

The smart thing to do would have been to enforce the laws against the type of activities in which the troublemakers were engaged. Instead, the park board took the easy way out by removing the baskets, thereby punishing everyone who played basketball in University Park.

The smart thing to do would have been to enforce the laws against the type of activities in which the troublemakers were engaged. Instead, the park board took the easy way out by removing the baskets, thereby punishing everyone who played basketball in University Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you have to admit, people who play basketball deserved to be punsihed in some way. :lol:

Meanwhile...back onto the argument of student seating and corporate gurus at REA...I think there are some things to be learned from the atmosphere in Columbus. If Sioux fans from all over the US can get together and have fun in Columbus, how come Sioux fans in Grand Forks can't do the same at REA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two totally different crowds IMO. You want the hockey faithfull (Columbus crowd) at REA. The people more than likely raising the red flag is the corporate (tax ride off season tix) crowd - the same people who have season tix at the Fritz. The crowd - students and the community - will getter better with time (as the newness weares off and the "true" hockey fans remain) and will hopefully return to the old days of the old Englestad.

I didn't see any games up there to know what was so bad. 

I for one wouldn't mind seeing the students MOVED to behind the goal if that would allow them to stand if they wished.

Abolishing the student section seems a very extreme approach and I find it hard to believe Kupchella would feel the need to resort to that.  I hope not anyway.

Based on how season tickets were handled last year, I find it a bit difficult to believe there could be a whole lot of "coordinated" bad behavior led by some miscreants.

Good luck to all.

I think the Student Gov president better take a bit harder line than "I hope not", however.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats exactly why Diggler should have ran for the student president!! ;):lol:

If Sioux fans from all over the US can get together and have fun in Columbus, how come Sioux fans in Grand Forks can't do the same at REA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good question. Not that I was there, but I suspect that some of the atmosphere in Columbus has to do with the camaraderie developed between Sioux fans when they're on the road and playing for a national championship. Under those conditions, it's much easier for everyone to band together for the common good.

I'll never forget when I was in the Xcel Energy Center for the 2001 WCHA Final Five and Travis Roche scored to send the championship game into overtime. I was wearing a Sioux jersey. A college-aged guy also wearing a Sioux jersey ran down the row to give me a big hug. :lol:

I'm thinking that probably wouldn't have happened during a regular-season game at the Ralph.

I'll never forget when I was in the Xcel Energy Center for the 2001 WCHA Final Five and Travis Roche scored to send the championship game into overtime. I was wearing a Sioux jersey. A college-aged guy also wearing a Sioux jersey ran down the row to give me a big hug.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I meant youth in general but maybe it would be better to word it this way, Grand Forks, like a lot of places, has the tendency to punish the group for the actions of a few.  It just seems to me that this affect is more amplified when it comes to the youth, including college students, in Grand Forks versus other parts of the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Punishing many for the actions of a few is wrong, no matter what the age. It's a terrible approach that only leads to bigger problems down the road. I didn't approve of it for the University Park situation and I don't approve of it for the REA situation.

That being said, the constant complaining about "anti-youth" conspiracies or student persecution does nothing to solve the problem.

[Meanwhile...back onto the argument of student seating and corporate gurus at REA...I think there are some things to be learned from the atmosphere in Columbus. If Sioux fans from all over the US can get together and have fun in Columbus, how come Sioux fans in Grand Forks can't do the same at REA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My perfect REA:

Students behind the visitor net in lower and upper bowl (filling their seats and cheering loudly, maybe standing and swearing sometimes, but keeping it mainly clean)

Arena filled with true fans who cheer loud and stay the whole game

A winning team on the ice

Sioux fans getting along with each other while ribbing the other team

Oh yeah...and free dip 'n dots and booze between periods (no lines either)

alright, forgive me if this has been mentioned as i did not read all the posts. why not move the students into section 104? it is my understanding that most of those tickets belong to rea as corporate comp tickets. maybe they could buy out people in 105 and offer them a tab at the concessions, lord knows i could use one.

or keep the student section the same and hold a ticket swap. i have two season tickets in 302A and i would love to switch with someone that doesnt want to sit by the students. just my two cents.

My perfect REA:

Students behind the visitor net in lower and upper bowl (filling their seats and cheering loudly, maybe standing and swearing sometimes, but keeping it mainly clean)

Arena filled with true fans who cheer loud and stay the whole game

A winning team on the ice

Sioux fans getting along with each other while ribbing the other team

Oh yeah...and free dip 'n dots and booze between periods (no lines either)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about shorter skirts for the cheerleaders? You missed that... :lol:

Was it a big problem for you living there? Honest question.

There was more to it than what you described. But, yes, it was a problem. I don't live in the immediate area, but I did walk my dog past the court every evening. It got to the point where I totally avoided that part of the park because I feared for my safety.

I'm glad that I didn't live any closer to the situation than I did. Having seen the problem firsthand, I fully understood why those who lived across from the park were concerned about what was going on there. Anyone with common sense would have been.

At any rate, it had absolutely nothing to do with the community being out to get college students or any anti-youth sentiment, as has been implied here.