SiouxSports.com Forum

Column in the Michigan School Newspaper

RD17

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PCM, I think it would be great if you sent a copy of your letter to the editor of the Michigan Daily as a 'rebuttal' to Mr. Joshua Q. Holman's column. tothedaily@michigandaily.com My response to his article in this thread would not be printed I'm sure, a little bit to angry. :lol: I'm going to try to write a 'nice' response and sent it to their 'letters to the editor' at the above e-mail. ;)

RD17, how did you find this article anyway?  Nice detective work!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RD17 = Josh = long time friend that defended him..!!!

Find it hard to believe even the most motivated of Bloggers would just happen upon that article....

I haven't see that much shameless self-promotion since Ryan Seacrest....

RD17 = Josh = long time friend that defended him..!!!

Find it hard to believe even the most motivated of Bloggers would just happen upon that article....

I haven't see that much shameless self-promotion since Ryan Seacrest....

Actually RD17 has outed himself previously on this board, most definitely not a columnist for a student newspaper at Michigan.

The article is actually pretty easy to stumble on with a simple web search..., which RD17 has previously demonstrated he does almost as much as I do.

Now, as to Josh = long-time friend, we'll leave that one to long-time friend to defend. :lol:

Actually RD17 has outed himself previously on this board, most definitely not a columnist for a student newspaper at Michigan.

The article is actually pretty easy to stumble on with a simple web search..., which RD17 has previously demonstrated he does almost as much as I do.

Now, as to Josh = long-time friend, we'll leave that one to long-time friend to defend. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that a Britney Spears avatar? If so, I'm offended. Offended by her being married to that loafing loser Kevin Federline! ;)

First of all, I'd like to defend Mr. Joshua Q. Holman. I know the kid quite well, and he's not quite the satanist you message board nerds make him out to be.

Second of all, if you would rather be at braly stadium in december than the rose bowl in jan, you are an idiot.

If you would rather be at the Betty for an NCC basketball tournament than the United Center for the Big Ten tourney, you are an idiot.

If you think UND has athletic tradition that even compares to Michigan's in any sport other than hockey, you are an idiot.

Michigan has the NBA, NHL, NFL and Major League Baseball; North Dakota has the Northern League.

Quit kidding yourselves guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've about had it with North Dakota bashing! If I wanted all of the crap you listed I guess I would move to it, wouldn't I!! I don't! Not everybody does. Joshie didn't like it so he moved out. I couldn't wait to leave when I finished HS and joined the AF. 8 years I spent between Europe and Seattle, WA. I loved those assignments, experienced a lot, but now I live back here and in 2 days have to go to the butthole of the world for a year and leave all this that apparently Joshie and you find so repugnant that you have to escape into the cultural meccas of what americans call "professional" sports. His "rich experinences" of standing on the floor of the Rose Bowl with stealth fighter roaring overhead. I couldn't care less about the Rose Bowl, haven't even watched it in I don't know how many years, but I too have stood on a field while a stealth went overhead and it wasn't for a public relations/patriotic flyby either. I will take ice fishing at -40 with my son and my father and driving 15 miles to work on a straight road across a prairie in a white-out, misquitos that black out the sun, a walleye opener sunrise on the Rainy River, a loon that sings me to sleep on weekend evenings, and having my kids grow up with all those oppurtunities like I did instead of worrying if I will be shot on my way to work like I was when I lived in the urban areas. As another poster put it, Joshie will be back in his mid thirties with his wife and kids, and I add, with his tail between his legs. He should be careful the bridges he burns, he'll have to cross a few to get back into Fargo with his U-Haul. Also, watch who you call an idiot, it takes one to know one, and yes, I would rather be at Braly stadium in December, the Betty for an NCC basketball tournament, and anything else that has to do with UND athletic tradition than ANYTHING associated with Michigan in any way, and I enjoy minor league baseball, something I like about the heart of the lesser talented, lesser priviledged player that works his butt off to get where he is and try to get another level higher instead of MLB with the overpaid whiners that have no concept of team and heart. And most of all, I would rather be in Grand Forks than anywhere in the WORLD!

Here's an outtake from another ND/Red River Valley raised boy -- in his book he's come to terms with what ND/RRV offers . . . . if Josh had had a chance to read this guy's book maybe he, Josh, would have had a better perspective on ND/RRV

http://www.thescreamonline.com/essays/essays3-1/dakota.html

outtake from "Dakota Boy" by Rob Woutat

(PCM great letter, Air Force One be careful out there)

Now, as to Josh = long-time friend, we'll leave that one to long-time friend to defend. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do a google news search almost daily to make sure I'm up on the latest for my writing duties at D2football.com. That is how I came upon this article since it contained several of the words I typically search for (NCC, UND football, Division II, etc.).

Like Jim said, many of the football fans that visit this site know me by name but most of the hardcore hockey folks probably don't since I don't post in this forum that much. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a hockey fan and I read the board quite frequently. But I am far from a hockey expert so I usually leave the commentary to those that are. :lol:

I do a google news search almost daily to make sure I'm up on the latest for my writing duties at D2football.com. That is how I came upon this article since it contained several of the words I typically search for (NCC, UND football, Division II, etc.).

Like Jim said, many of the football fans that visit this site know me by name but most of the hardcore hockey folks probably don't since I don't post in this forum that much. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a hockey fan and I read the board quite frequently. But I am far from a hockey expert so I usually leave the commentary to those that are. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or to Sudo-reporters who think they are experts!

:lol::lol:

After a number of entertaining emails from some of you, a few of which even suggested I introduce myself on here, I decided to do just that. I am the Joshua Cooper Holman, senior sports editor at the Michigan Daily, that wrote this apparently scandalous column. Some of you have contacted me, so I don't want to repeat myself. But please, I love North Dakota despite some of the wild misconceptions you have made up. My favorite one was the guy that pegged my history as someone who was cut from the JV team at Fargo North. Pretty awesome. I attended Fargo South (thank you very much) and haven't played hockey since first grade. Feel free to play with those facts as much as you'd like. If there's anything else, I'm happy to field any more querries.

After a number of entertaining emails from some of you, a few of which even suggested I introduce myself on here, I decided to do just that. I am the Joshua Cooper Holman, senior sports editor at the Michigan Daily, that wrote this apparently scandalous column. Some of you have contacted me, so I don't want to repeat myself. But please, I love North Dakota despite some of the wild misconceptions you have made up. My favorite one was the guy that pegged my history as someone who was cut from the JV team at Fargo North. Pretty awesome. I attended Fargo South (thank you very much) and haven't played hockey since first grade. Feel free to play with those facts as much as you'd like. If there's anything else, I'm happy to field any more querries.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What made you want to bash ND? Are there a lot of ND people there that feel the same way?

But please, I love North Dakota despite some of the wild misconceptions you have made up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for coming here to discuss your column, Josh. I think part of the problem North Dakotans had with your column is that it contributed to some of the "wild misconceptions" that people outside the state have of it, such as:

The only thing that North Dakota has is hockey.
Ralph Engelstad, the alum who North Dakota named its state of the art hockey arena after, is best remembered outside of the state as a Nazi sympathizer.

There is no kind of basketball environment in North Dakota.

Had you not made those statements, I doubt that most of us would have had any problem with your column.

Now living in Fargo, I can say without question that the basketball statement is rubbish.

If NDSU isn't playing football or basketball, this town has gotten depressed sports-wise. Yeah, they have the Redhawks, but it has been rather wild down here with the bball frenzy at times. It may have stagnated a little bit with the Division alignment issues NDSU has, but once they get into a conference, it will be wild.

That being said, BBall sucks. :D

The easiest thing to adress is the basketball statement. Redwing said it best. Basketball sucks. I'm here talking in a hockey forum. I'm not saying that UND and NDSU don't get fired up when they play in basketball, and the high school tournament is definitely exciting, but compared to the rest of the country, it's not much. I just spent a season covering Big Ten hoops, a completely different feeling. The environment at some campuses is just unreal. It can't compare. The last basketball prospect North Dakota put out of any worth was Jeff Boschee, who I absolutely loved. But not enough people care to make basketball really hardcore. And I doubt many of you here would disagree with me.