SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Greene

ftnsiouxhockey

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will also have a nice penalty box view of a Kessel powerplay goal...

There is such a thing as a legal check, you know. Big hits, if clean, don't draw automatic penalties.

I just don't think Greene helps the Sioux as much as many on here.
I'm thinking that Bill Clement, Gary Thorne and Darren Pang would probably disagree with you. (Remember the "men against the boys" comment?)

Big hits are nice on video games, but if they don't cause a turnover - there is little impact on a D1 athlete. Players at that level can take a hit....it is nothing new

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big hits can to a lot more than cause turnovers. Some players take hits better than others. Some players take stupid retaliation penalties after being on the receiving end of a big hit. I've seen big hits energize a team and change the momentum of a game.

Athough it was a tough penalty to take at the time, Greene crosschecked BC's Bertram right in front of the net while the Sioux were already killing a penalty. The photo of the aftermath of this hit was on USCHO's front page the next day. Although it was very nasty, it was one of those crease-clearing hits that the NHL guys on ESPN basically condoned as needed in front of the net. You could see Bertram on the ice immediately afterward, wondering exactly where he was: "let's see, I was standing in front of the net trying to corral a loose puck, and now I think I'm lying face first on the ice ... am I still alive?" Anyway, I don't think Bertram got close enough to the crease the rest of the game to even tell you what color it was.

Athough it was a tough penalty to take at the time, Greene crosschecked BC's Bertram right in front of the net while the Sioux were already killing a penalty.  The photo of the aftermath of this hit was on USCHO's front page the next day.  Although it was very nasty, it was one of those crease-clearing hits that the NHL guys on ESPN basically condoned as needed in front of the net.  You could see Bertram on the ice immediately afterward, wondering exactly where he was: "let's see, I was standing in front of the net trying to corral a loose puck, and now I think I'm lying face first on the ice ...  am I still alive?"  Anyway, I don't think Bertram got close enough to the crease the rest of the game to even tell you what color it was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basil does not know hockey if he thinks players don't start to look over their shoulder a little bit after a big hit. The Sioux were physical with Irmen and Potulny and they were invisible in that game. As I have said before the Goofers need to hit the weights because they are a soft team.

There is such a thing as a legal check, you know. Big hits, if clean, don't draw automatic penalties.

PCM, think, man, think! This would be a WCHA officiated game, where Greene would be checking the vermin's golden boy. I absolutely guaran-@&$#&%-tee you that Matty goes to the box on a clean check! :D

The whining from the MN side of the press box alone would be deafening!

I agree that I've been frustrated with some of the penalties that MG has taken in the past. But along with the rest of the team in the last 2 months of play, his overall play was at a very high level, IMO, and the needless penalties reduced significantly.

In addition, I DO believe MG provided needed leadership during that time as well.

Yes, I would VERY MUCH like to have him back next year. And I'm one who wondered at times during the first half of this past year if it wouldn't be best for all if he moved on.

PCM, think, man, think!  This would be a WCHA officiated game, where Greene would be checking the vermin's golden boy.  I absolutely guaran-@&$#&%-tee you that Matty goes to the box on a clean check! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry. You're right. What was I thinking? :lol::D;):D

I agree that I've been frustrated with some of the penalties that MG has taken in the past.  But along with the rest of the team in the last 2 months of play, his overall play was at a very high level, IMO, and the needless penalties reduced significantly.

In addition, I DO believe MG provided needed leadership during that time as well.

Yes, I would VERY MUCH like to have him back next year.  And I'm one who wondered at times during the first half of this past year if it wouldn't be best for all if he moved on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you there Dagies although Greene really took a bad one in the championship game that led to Stastny's power play goal to make it 3-1. He cross checked a guy in the corner who was going no where with the puck. Not a good penalty and it really put us in a hole at that point. I think next year if he is back you are going to see even a more disciplined Matt Greene, it is OK to take a few penalties if they are good penalties that prevent a good scoring chance or intimidate an opponent but that crosscheck in the Denver game was needless and a killer.

Basil does not know hockey if he thinks players don't start to look over their shoulder a little bit after a big hit.  The Sioux were physical with Irmen and Potulny and they were invisible in that game.  As I have said before the Goofers need to hit the weights because they are a soft team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off you really need to question someone that has a Michael Moore moniker on his avitar... :glare:

How is that trolling?

You keep talking about how Greene will totally shut down Kessel because he's SO good that Lucia might as well just leave Kessel at home and I was just stating that its all a moot point because Greene will be in the NHL so you can stop talking about Greene like he's actually one of the top 100 players in the WCHA..He's just big, he-l-l, he can barely skate.

Basil does not know hockey if he thinks players don't start to look over their shoulder a little bit after a big hit.  The Sioux were physical with Irmen and Potulny and they were invisible in that game.  As I have said before the Goofers need to hit the weights because they are a soft team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a big difference between soft and not being nearly as strong as the '04-'05 Sioux. Cornell was a prototypical big hitting checking team and it took them 50 minutes to wear down the Gophers. Then CU couldn't put the game away the the Gophers advanced.

Don't expect the Sioux to be as physically dominant next years as they were at the end of the season this year, but don't fret there are plenty of ways to win hockey games and I'm sure the Sioux will win plenty.

How is that trolling?

You keep talking about how Greene will totally shut down Kessel because he's SO good that Lucia might as well just leave Kessel at home and I was just stating that its all a moot point because Greene will be in the NHL so you can stop talking about Greene like he's actually one of the top 100 players in the WCHA..He's just big, he-l-l, he can barely skate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He can barely skate but yet he is one of the Oilers top d prospects good call duey :glare:

Having Greene back is critical for next year. He brings more to the Sioux then any of their leading scorers did last year or next year. He is THE leader, like Mark Messier was in Edmonton. He is intimidateing. He takes lots of penalities and some are dives, some are called because he is Matt Greene and some are because he is to strong and some are undiscliplined (the cross checks in the back). Defense is the hardest position to play and they will always get the most penalties. He is the Ray Lewis of college hockey.

He is so much like Commie and now he is developing puck skills and confidence in carrying the puck. Out of all the underclassmen, if Greene left, he would be the hardest shoes to fill.

He has to come back because he hasn't left his legacy at UND yet. (meaning, he must work someone over before he leaves here)

He can barely skate but yet he is one of the Oilers top d prospects good call duey :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't give Duey any credence. He's no GM of any team. He only says these things to piss off the Sioux fans. He said so by his own admission on USCHO before I added him to my ignore list there too.

He has no credibility and he wants none. He is a stereotypical troll.

Listen to sagard or Greyeagle and sometimes WPoS if you want a non Sioux perspective.

How is that trolling?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big and can't skate - Grant Potulny comes to mind...I didn't see too many guys blow by Mr. Greene...I do remember a certain Mr. Harrington getting schooled by Mr. Spirko... :glare:

So you're saying you want to be in front of the net with Matt Greene hanging around? I know I wouldn't want to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I would piss myself if Greene was about to hit me, no question about it. BUT, I am not a D1 player! These guys can take a hit...they do it all the time.

No, I would piss myself if Greene was about to hit me, no question about it. BUT, I am not a D1 player! These guys can take a hit...they do it all the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All D1 players aren't created equal, and neither are all D1 hitters.

Redwing.....you got me figured....serisously, you do. I'm just trying to have some fun. Its not my fault you take this way too serious. I honestly have nothing against the Sioux nor do really think that Greene can't skate. In fact I think he can skate very well and I have a TON of respect for how he plays (....and sometimes wish the gophers played w/ this heart). And you're right, I make rediculous posts just to get under your skin. Its all in fun and should never be taken serious. oh wait....you're ignoring me.