SiouxSports.com Forum

More sports to DI?

dakotadan

It seems some of the arguments on DI earlier are somewhat circular. If UND was to move to a DI level, success would be dependent on conference affiliation, facilities, funding, and coaching ability. (and my view, if it isn’t clear by now, is that all those must be in place before a DI move.) If those things aren’t in place, failure should be expected. If, for example, UND moved up a level, the football recruiting budget would presumably increase, it wouldnt be limited to four or five states and their would be additional coaches for the recruiting. If somehow UND got in the Horizon League, recruiting anywhere in the Great Lakes states would tremendously improved just by being in that conference. UW-Green Bay, arguably facing some of the same issues as UND and with more limited academics offerings, has had success largely because it is in that conference and it has had a great coach. Success would also need to be defined for each sport before a move, not after. For example, UND women’s basketball could have a somewhat reasonable goal of a top 50-100 program, men’s basketball top 150, women’s volleyball top 150, swimming top 150. But for some outdoor sports, like tennis and golf, which UND would have large competitive disadvantages at the DI level, it would not be in the best interest of the athlete or the UND to sponsor the sport.

Now for an NCAA diatribe:

One of the greater injustices of the NCAA seasons is that Olympic “summer” sports, like golf and tennis, are not held in the summer due to the artifact of a Sept-May school year. This really places northern schools at a disadvantage. There are numerous winter sports not offered by the NCAA that UND would have natural competitive advantages. Short-track and long-track speed skating, curling, biathlon, cross-country skiing (which is NCAA sanctioned) would all be naturals at UND. If the NCAA recognized more winter Olympic sports (or at least recognized scholarships to athletes that train in those sports), northern NCAA schools could be feeder programs for Olympic sports that do not now have collegiately-trained athletes. Substituting more winter Olympic sports for summer Olympic sports may be one way a UND DI athletic program could make an impact nationally in Olympic-type sports, while benefitting UND, the state, and, presumably, the US Olympic team and while embracing instead of disdaining its climate. Just need the NCAA to have the wisdom to sanction them, and UND to have the resources to sponsor them. (and I’m still dreaming.)

its weird how NDSU is in division 1 with outdated facilities but UND has brand new up to date facilities and is stuck in D2. It should be a no brainer they should move up to D1. NDSU played crappy opponents in basketball and football so UND shouldn't have a problem competing in D1-AA or D1 basketball. UND is more known with teams like Michigan, BU, Minnesota, Wisconsin because of hockey they don't know who NDSU is. I hope you people keep me updated with any info on UND thinking of moving up since i live here in Bisonville. So as a Fargoan the last 6 years all i have to say is GO SIOUX, BISON SUCK!

I have not talked to Lennon directly but I know from other sources within the Athletic Department that he and his staff would like to go DIA tomorrow if they could. They feel they could be competitive very quickly and be a championship contender within a few years. They also don't like the feeling of losing recruits to NDSU and SDSU as 1) they have historically been our rivals and 2) they are able to offer recruits full rides when we are only able to offer partials.

They do understand that the football program is in a unique situation and that DI would likely not be a good move for any of the other sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You meant IAA right?

NodakVindy- IAA is more prestigous and also has a lot more exposure then D2 football has. IAA football receives just as much or more national exposure then college hockey gets. There are 5 IAA playoff games on national tv, all the others are going to be on ESPNU. Also there are games on FSN and other networks weekly. Plus there is one game on network tv,the bayou classic which is on NBC. Another advantage of being IAA is that you can play IA teams which bring with them large checks just for playing the game, it is also cool just getting to see your school competing with the best schools out there. So being IAA has many advantages over D2.

The main reason UND should want to play IAA is because more IAA schools are like them in terms of funding and facilities, overall D2 is closer to D3 then it is with IAA. There are about 8 or 10 solid D2 schools that are like UND, in IAA there are about 40-50. You are right the NCAA would never allow for this to happen since football is a revenue producing sport and a school from a lesser division shouldn't get to share the benefits without taking the risks.

You are either DI or dII. Exception for 2 sports only.

undII is dreaming about anything else.

Besides, what other two sports does undII even have that could move up to DI?

Get real, DI in all sports is the only way to go. Just ask the NDSU alumni across the country. They are exposed to DI Bison athletics from August to June. Yes, across the country, not limited to North Dakota, Minnesota, and South Dakota!

Pre-Reply note..

ATTN: JIM! Re: Instigators?? Re:re: See what I mean? Re:re:re: SNAP ALERT :D

Last time I checked (before the BIG MOVE :lol: ) you "guys" were happy touting your recent DII NC successes :p in sports like SOFTBALL :0 as evidence of your dominance :p of DII - then came the big move and WHOOSH!! Your noses went up in the air so fast it was UNBELIEVABLE and you piss on anything DII now!! You guys need to worry about putting you money where your mouth is when it comes to doing ANYTHING in DI WHEN you actually qualify for postseason action. Who gives a crap who you play now if it doesn't MEAN ANYTHING?;) The Bison women went what...29-1 this season...lost to the only real DI contender they played... then packed it in at the end of the season. What a BLAST!!! Good thing the Dahlen twins collected shot glasses on their travels this season...they'll need them when they realize they totally wasted a year of college eligibility :0:D

Hey, it's all about fun, and success to both universities BUT:

Playing DI competition in ALL SPORTS doesn't mean anything? Nothing to play for? At least the Dahlen twins can collect shot glasses in destinations outside of ND, MN, and SD! Wonder why Mertens and all of the other recruits go to NDSU if it means nothing, it must be Divsion I! It's the NCAA that requires a five year DI transitional period, too bad the Bison are ready now!

Sincerely, good luck in the Frozen Four!

But to keep everything in perspective there is: One DI University (Minnesota), One DI University without a football program (Denver), One dII University (undII), and One DIII University (CC).

And yes, aren't there only 17 DI universities in the huge field of 58 colleges that have college hockey?

And this is a DI Championship!

and as far as I've been able to determine...nds(D)ii has NEVER belittled a championship in ANY sport regardless of how many people care about it...when you won the HUGE softball championship...what was there...Like 50 people in the crowd???

The Frozen Four is SOLD OUT every YEAR in advance in at least a venue that seats 15,000++ You call it minor...WE call it A BLAST!!!! Now go look at your track schedule loser!

Seedja!!