SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/UAA series

jk

Favoring UND:

- Better players.

- Revenge factor. Revenge may be too strong a word. Trying to atone for last year might be closer.

- Home ice.

- Lots of freshmen on UAA, which is adjusting to the graduation of senior leaders.

Favoring UAA:

- They are desperate for a WCHA win.

- They played CC tough last week, leading Saturday after two.

- Confidence after doing well at REA last year.

- Sioux goaltending will remain a question until someone plays well consistently.

Favoring me:

- My first trip to GF this year, and my first look at the team live. Really, really looking forward to it.

If the Sioux want to contend this year, this is the kind of series they need to sweep.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think UND should (I am an optomist) Route UAA. And a split or being swept is not a option. I sound like some of our buddies down in MPLS. p :0:0 :0

I hope that the boys can win and win big. The REA needs to become a hostile place for the opposition to come to. :D

I am excited because it will be my first chance to see the team this season.

Can't wait to get to GF to see some real a## whooping this weekend.

One of our few trips every year that we really look forward to. Unfortunately it will be almost our last.

The team's confidence is growing every series & a lot of payback has to be dished out. Can't wait for Friday night & a sweep.

Maybe I'll run into some of you at the Ralph.

Does anyone know or care to say if there is a particular area where the Sioux parents sit at games? Since I will be in attendance, I might like to stop up and meet some of my cyber-acquaintances, if I get a chance. If you'd rather not post that publicly here, you could just e-mail me at kellyjr@wellsfargo.com. Thanks.

Great game by the Sioux tonite. Sounded like the kind game that we expect from the Fighting Sioux.

Score was only 4-2 but from listening to the UAA feed it sounded like Reiter? their goalie really stood on his head, and his only real blunder was his ill-fated clearing attempt that McMahon potted.

Am curious what those of you who attended thought? I think the Sioux had a lot of shots on goal and gave up very few, I mean low teens. Sioux feed was down so we had to listen to the AA feed so we may be short of some info from the Sioux perspective.

UAA announcer said it easily could have been 8-2.

Very short on info from a Sioux perspective. SOG's 36-12 Sioux.

Sounded like Parise and Bochenski created quite a few chances, but Fylling may have had a tough game (including missing the net on a 3 on 0).

Also anyone listening to a radio, would appreciate post game comments from Blais since the internet audio, is again not working. Get redirected to a football audio link (which times out), rather then the hockeyrm.

Hope it's back up tomorrow, UAA announcer doesn't follow the Sioux action much, which makes for a tough game to listen to, when only the Sioux have the puck :D

I liked the UAA announcer though. Really got into the game and didn't whine.

What were the line combo's tonite. I know the Parise line was back intact but the others looked like this and I missed somebody:

Notermann - Lundbohm - ?

Spiewak - McMahon - Hale

Prpich - Genoway - Canady

Was Connelly playing and I just didn't hear his name? Or Marvin?

After game comments by a UAA assistant coach said they really wanted to pressure the Sioux defense when they had the puck because if you do "they WILL turn the puck over". But he wasn't happy they didn't do that, OR put the puck on net because Siembida "every time we shot there was a rebound". Interesting to hear the opposing coach comments.

Connely and marvin didnt play. The sioux created quite a few chances, but Blais was not happy with the finishing. The crowd was by far the worst i have ever experienced at a sioux game. People barely even cheered when there was a goal.

They sounded pretty good on the radio.

So we played with 1 forward short??

Connelly didn't play tonight. He was sick I guess. Massen was on the line with Noterman and Lundbohm.

Also, after watching the game the shots on goal didn't seem like it was legitimate. I would guess the sioux gave up closer to 20 shots on net because I noticed that on a few shots on goal the stat person didn't put a shot up. Is this bad, no but it was just an observation as I was sitting watching the game.

I will say that I think the sioux played down to the level of UAA. The other thing I did notice is that the defenseman need to start hitting the net on the long shots from the point cause they are missing the net by a long ways on a bunch of the shots. They just need to start putting these pucks low to the ice and get some rebounds for people like Parise, bochenski, massen, etc..... to put in. But overall I can say that defensivly they are playing much much better than last year.

Connelly didn't play tonight. He was sick I guess. Massen was on the line with Noterman and Lundbohm.

Also, after watching the game the shots on goal didn't seem like it was legitimate. I would guess the sioux gave up closer to 20 shots on net because I noticed that on a few shots on goal the stat person didn't put a shot up. Is this bad, no but it was just an observation as I was sitting watching the game.

I will say that I think the sioux played down to the level of UAA. The other thing I did notice is that the defenseman need to start hitting the net on the long shots from the point cause they are missing the net by a long ways on a bunch of the shots. They just need to start putting these pucks low to the ice and get some rebounds for people like Parise, bochenski, massen, etc..... to put in. But overall I can say that defensivly they are playing much much better than last year.

Which game were you watching?? :D Anyway, the stat people don't put the shots on goal up right away.

The lines tonight were:

Fylling-Parise-Bochenski

Notermann-Lundbohm-Massen

Spiewak-McMahon-R. Hale

Canady-Genoway-Prpich

Connelly is out sick with the flu, apparently, and Palmiscino is out with a concussion. I'm guessing Marvin was a healthy scratch.

This was the second game that Parise was held scoreless, and it seemed like this was probably his "worst" game, although he still played very well, I thought. I caught the end of Hennesy's post-game show, and he mentioned that this was the first college game that Parise's dad was able to attend (parents' night), and that Zach may have been trying too hard. I'm anticipating a big night from him tomorrow.

Once again tonight, we got to witness players sticking up for each other. Parise was checked into the boards with what looked to me like a high elbow, and Greene immediately went after Chytka while the puck was still in play. It looked like it could have been a good fight, but no punches were thrown, and Greene got a double minor for instigating. A bit later, Steward checks Leinweber from behind, and Fuher is right there showing him what's up. I love the chemistry on this team! I just want to see Greene lay a good one on someone, and then I'll be happy. :D

Fylling seems to be in a bit of a scoring slump. He had the most shots on goal tonight with 6, 2 more than anyone else on the team, and he came out with an assist. He missed out on some really good chances, including that 3 on 0 that someone mentioned. Hopefully he can pick his game up tomorrow night. The really good news is that we're getting goals from more players now. McMahon, R. Hale, Fuher, and Bochenski with the goals tonight, and Notermann had the rebound goal that was waved off.

What does everyone else think of Fuher? Right now, I think he has to be one of the most improved players from last year. I was really impressed with his game tonight, and so far in 7 games he has 3 goals and 3 assists. Not bad for a defenseman. I was much more comfortable with the power play tonight with him back on the blue line, than last weekend when 5 forwards were being put on the ice.

I agree with everything everybody said. :D

U2Bad1 - the crowd did seem dead. Did you also notice we are back to the late arriving crowd again? The lure of the new arena must be wearing off.

Like Blais said, the Sioux generated good pressure but never really finished anything off. I think that might have had alot to do with the crowd. Also, the first two goals were just slapping at a loose puck, nothing too exciting there. The crowd was ready to explode when Greene and Chytka were doing their pre-fight tango, but it never materialized.

It seemed like a lackluster game, be it because the Sioux were a little out of sync on offense or they were just playing down to Anchorage's level. Anyway, there is no doubt in my mind that we would have lost this type of game last year.

I also think Parise was trying too hard. Hopefully we'll see something special tonight.

I was very impressed with Bochenski and Fuher. I don't know where Bochenski gets this knock of being a poor skater. He's seems that he's got more than enough speed and its impossible to take him off his skates. Massen is another who is very strong on his skates. Those two fight through alot of crap to get to the net.

Saw Speez, HKNTSMN and Sockeye Sioux on the ice. Nice that most of the parents could make it. Sockeye looked great in her #22 jersey. :0

Good point about the crowd. That was probably the lamest crowd in the history of... well, crowds I guess. I said to my wife at least 6 times how much the crowd sucked. All I hear is people around me talking about stuff not related to hockey. Something needs to done to get the crowd into the game. As much as I hate to say it, I'll take a game in the CRAZY National Hockey Center over the REA any day. 6,000 + jam packed hockey nuts going absolutely crazy... Can't beat it.

As best I could tell, Massen was playing with Notermann and Lundbhom. Looked like he switched up the lines during the game though.

I was pretty sure that Massen skated with Notermann and Lundbohm the whole game, except when he went in on the powerplay. Massen is probably my second choice for most improved player, other than Fylling, whom we haven't seen for a year. You're right diggerdan, he is very strong on his skates. I think Bochenski has always been strong on his skates, but his speed and fluidity have definitely improved from last year, when I don't remember him once being able to outskate a defenseman on a breakaway. Last night, he did.