SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday Afternoon VS Denver

NDFAN

To paraphrase Greene, about not retaliating: Hockey's a small world, and some of our guys are going to cross paths with their guys down the road.

If two years from now Greene destroys Paukovich in a professional game, and the announcers and fans have no idea where it came from, NCAA fans will know.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You speak for me so well.  It is unfortunate that you were not at the game so that you could write an article about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, after Zach Parise got hacked and slashed bloody by UAA last season, I wrote an opinion pieice about the state of WCHA officiating. USCHO wouldn't print it. The Grand Forks Herald wouldn't print it. If I can find it, I'll post it here.

To paraphrase Greene, about not retaliating:  Hockey's a small world, and some of our guys are going to cross paths with their guys down the road. 

If two years from now Greene destroys Paukovich in a professional game, and the announcers and fans have no idea where it came from, NCAA fans will know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Paukovich will last until a pro game. Someone will take exception to his cheap play before then. Paukovich is likely lucky the Sioux played as well as they did and took the game to OT. If Denver had scored in the third, a fight was nearly guaranteed.

I also want to say how proud I am of the Fighting Sioux. They gave it their all, never gave up and certainly didn't deserve to lose the way that they did. I was really amazed at how the entire team kept its composure after Bina was carried off the ice.

Just heard the announcers say, all the coaches, including Lucia, want to see this rule with MN playing the Friday night game changed. He said it is not only unfair to have a team play 3 games in 48 hours, but there is also more of a chance of not only injuries, but serious injuries, as we saw today with Bina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not new news, this has been talked about for a while and the announcers referred to the vote the coaches took regarding the rule, where all 10 voted against this rule, but the WCHA obviously overruled them.

If Paukovich is allowed to play tomorrow night, I will root for whoever Denver is playing. And, yes, I'm saying I would root for the Gophers if that's the matchup. :D

I have no respect for that kind of hockey, and I have no respect for a coach or program that condones that kind of hockey. If the WCHA and its incompetent band of officials doesn't want to do anything about it, Gwozdecky had better do it himself. It'll send a message to the rest of the league that the league itself is incapable of dealing with stuff like this, but that Gwozdecky himself isn't afraid to step in when necessary and discipline his players.

Normally, I'd leave you guys alone on your own board (that's why I've posted here like once before), but I wanted to come in and send my best wishes to Bina, and let you all know that I'm behind you in your disgust toward Don Adam.

With the NCAA's so close, I wish the Sioux did not have a game tomorrow. Nothing good can come from a game playing shorthanded the way they will be, even if they'd happen to win, which is not likely.

I'm hoping for a Denver/CC matchup, with M. Stuart removing Paukovich' head. Or maybe Minnesota, with Zajac's buddy Chucko doing the decapitation.

With the NCAA's so close, I wish the Sioux did not have a game tomorrow. Nothing good  can come from a game playing shorthanded the way they will be, even if they'd happen to win, which is not likely.

I'm hoping for a Denver/CC matchup, with M. Stuart removing Paukovich' head.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't like this third place game either. It means nothing. It's the third in three days and they have to probably come right back and be ready to play on Thursday.

The Zajac no goal. It might be wishful thinking on my part or maybe I need new contacts, but, it looked to me that the puck was under the goalies elbow (which was behind the line) and when he went to get up he made a motion with his arm to slide the puck down to his leg to make it look like it wasn't close. I'm sure I'm wrong but didn't anyone else see this.

The checking from behind on Bina. Adam is a f'in joke. He was standing right in front of them and watched Bina get driven ioto the boards head first. Not dangerous at all. :D I'm sure in his small mind he would just call two minutes on each team and it would be even. :D

Not only should Adam not be let on the ice, he shouldn't be allowed in the building. The game was to important for anyone to step up and retaliate but it would have been justice for any one of our boys to take down Paukovich or better yet Adam. Remember its only two minutes for sending someone to the hospital. ;)

Any further word on Murray, Prpich and Fabian injuries?

I'll be cheering for anybody but DU tomorrow, even the Gophers. I can't f'ing stand Gwozdickhead. I'd love to be a 2 or 3 seed in DU's region come tourney time.

Great effort from the Sioux.

Hats off to UND for a gritty performance. I am really at a loss for words when penalties such as the hit on Bina are over looked. The Sioux deserved the W tonight. Even in a loss, I can say that I am happy to be a Sioux fan and proud of the way the team played the game today.

Some apparently think Gwoz is a class act, but I have no respect for the thuggery that has been Denver under Gwoz. Two years ago, with little offense, his team resorted to full blown tackle hockey to even things up. Last year, with a bit more offensive talent, they interfered and obstructed to stay in games. This year, with an offense that led the nation for most of the year, they once again resort to cheap shot thuggery when the competition is playing too well to win without cheap shot hockey once again.

Of course, Gwoz can only get by with this type of coaching with the total imcompetence of Sheppard and crew.

If the WCHA and its incompetent band of officials doesn't want to do anything about it, Gwozdecky had better do it himself. It'll send a message to the rest of the league that the league itself is incapable of dealing with stuff like this, but that Gwozdecky himself isn't afraid to step in when necessary and discipline his players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you asked George Gwazdickheady he would probably tell you it was a good call by Adam, that his player was pulling up and didn't mean it. :D I remember an interview TH did with him last year pregame. Tim told him his team played a defensive chippy cluch and grab style of hockey. In an irritated tone Gwoz was quick to defend his team stating they skated well with the Sioux the night before. I guess 8-2 is close. :D

Any further word on Murray, Prpich and Fabian injuries? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fabian hurt a knee will probably play.

Murray hurt his shoulder again TH said he and Prpich might not play for the rest of the year.

WAtching Murray leave the ice stickless with his shoulder hanging down, I expect we've seen the last of him this year. Even with a leg brace and shoulder harness he added a bunch to the Sioux lineup, and it will be a tough go without him. I'd expect him to be in for his knee surgery next week.

I too am mostly at a loss (a first). To wrap it up, I'm proud of the performance today, especially stepping it up in the third and taking it to them. I'm proud they didn't let the game disintigrate into a hackfest after the Bina incident. It could have, and I was (wrongly) hoping for a little retribution. I can't believe they kept their composure.

I also wish they didn't play tomorrow. Not a darn thing can be gained from it. They'll play with a short bench, and will be quite tired. Honestly, losing Prpich, Bina and Murray puts a huge dent in the team's NCAA tournament chances. After today's gutty performance, I have no doubt they will give it their all. But it will be tough.

Let's take the penalties out of the equation and face the facts:

We played AWESOME today. ESPECIALLY after Bina's injury. I mean, we were basically down a line!!!!!! We not only kept it close, we took it to overtime! Someone tell me even that doesn't send a message?

We can play with DU. I feel confident right now against any team in the DI hockey world. I'm not sure we can win it all without Murray and Prpich, but I think we're calm, composed, and playing GREAT!

And, no, I actually do think the third place game means something. It means something now. In the scope of things like PWR or the NCAAs, it may not, but as for the heart of the team, I think they want to win the third place game badly.

Win it for Robbie!

And for Parise sake, play Radke! Let Marvin take the wing if you want, but let Radke play d*** it!

The other good news is that it really truly doesn't matter who is in net! I don't think Jordy would have had Gauthier's OT shot blocked.

McMahon, Genoway, Spirko

Zajac, Stafford ... Murray hurt

Fylling, Porter ... Prpich hurt

Canady, Massen ... Fabian hurt (toughing it out because he has to)

Greene, Jones

Schneider, Fuher

Smaby ... Bina hurt

Who knew winning the play-in game would be so costly.  Hope Bina's OK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lied about being at a loss for words. If Fabian is OK to go, then I would do this to the lineup:

1. Keep the McMahon line intact.

2. Keep the Canady line intact.

3. Move Porter up to the Zajac line.

4. Add Foyt and Marvin to the lineup as Fylling's wings.

5. Add Radke as the sixth defenseman.

I might play Lammy again and save Parise for next week.